• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Human-Deryni marriages

Started by AnnieUK, June 18, 2010, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

I've had a totally random thought which may or may not lead to a story, but I need to know how many known human-Deryni marriages we have so far.  I'm not including human-Haldane here, but Kelson is included as he is also Deryni.  Whether there is a story in it depends on the info.

I have (in no particular order)
Kenneth Morgan + Alyce
Richenda + Bran Coris
Kelson + Araxie Haldane
Zoe Morgan + Jovett Chandos
Jared McLain + Vera Howard
Brion Haldane + Jehana
Darrell + Bethane (she was human, yes?)

I haven't read the Camber era books for ages, so I haven't any from this era at all.  Any Camber era devotees care to contribute any, and have I missed any Donal/Brion/Kelson era ones that we know of?

Evie

Quote from: AnnieUK on June 18, 2010, 02:44:34 PM
Darrell + Bethane (she was human, yes?)

I may be misremembering, but I had the impression that Bethane was Deryni, only she wasn't aware that was what she was, and was never properly trained. 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

I think Vera has blown my theory.  Bother it, it was shaping up nicely too.

Alkari

In terms of Brion - Jehana, you also have Brion's 'Haldane potential' aspect.  Given some of the Camberian Council's comments in the later books' comments about this being some type of Deryniness, I'm not sure whether this would be counted as a direct human-Deryni marriage.

tenworld

not sure why you have Kelson-Araxie since both are very powerful Deryni.  Kelson is more than half Deryni.  For that matter there are enough Deryni in the Haldane ancestry that they should be considered Deryni, even without considering the "potential"

wombat1138

Technically, there're also some unconsummated marriages for the list:

Zoe Morgan + Ahern de Corwyn
Sidana + Kelson (though see below)

Rothana + Conall were another Deryni/human marriage if we assume that the "normal" Haldanes are essentially human, which may or may not actually be the case. That would also include Michaela Drummond + Rhys Michael.

Camber's sister Aislinn married a human (Iain MacLean), didn't she? explaining the lack of a Portal at Trurill.

If Jehana was full Deryni, then that means that her Bremagne royal ancestors were also Deryni, which has some interesting upstream implications wrt Princess Urracca of Bremagne, who married Jolyon II of Meara and became the mother of the three demoiselles Annalind, Roisian, and Magrette. The Bremagni royal succession list is too twisty for me to work out the exact degree of relationship at the moment, though.

AnnieUK

Yes, for the purposes of this I was taking Haldane potential as something *other* than straightforward Deryniness, although I accept that there is Deryni blood in their background. 

Thanks for those extras - gives me more to explore when I've more time to devote to it.  And I obviously need to re-read KKB then.  I had it in my head that Araxie was human - soz!

As I say, I think Vera has blown my original idea, but there could be a possible alternate idea.

derynifanatic64

Concerning Bethane, I wonder what happened to her after she gave Rimmell that love charm.  She must have somehow found out what happened to Bronwyn and Kevin and than skipped town.  Jared's men found her cave, but she was nowhere to be found...
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on March 22, 2013, 06:21:53 PM
Concerning Bethane, I wonder what happened to her after she gave Rimmell that love charm.  She must have somehow found out what happened to Bronwyn and Kevin and than skipped town.  Jared's men found her cave, but she was nowhere to be found...

Given her history, I'm sure she had an escape plan laid out.

Bynw

Adding some of my 2 cents into the mix.

Yes the Haldane line does have Deryni blood in it. Far older than that of Kelson's mother who, was/is a full Deryni but not trained at all until probably after the events of KKB. Every so often another Deryni line gets hooked into the Haldane line to boost it's Deryni blood. And yes the CC does count the Haldane's as full Deryni.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

tenworld

Quote from: Bynw on March 24, 2013, 04:54:21 PM
Adding some of my 2 cents into the mix.

Yes the Haldane line does have Deryni blood in it. Far older than that of Kelson's mother who, was/is a full Deryni but not trained at all until probably after the events of KKB. Every so often another Deryni line gets hooked into the Haldane line to boost it's Deryni blood. And yes the CC does count the Haldane's as full Deryni.

But why would we care what the CC considers?  they were so wrong about Morgan & Duncan, they had lost track of healers, and they dont really understand what the Haldane potential is, or how it is inherited (arent Bran Coris & Sean Derry also 'Haldane potentials'?)

The CC at least in Kelso's time is more like the snobs who categorize people based on where they were born rather than some learned group of scholars who are truly trying to preserve deryni culture.

Laurna

QuoteThe CC at least in Kelson's time is more like the snobs who categorize people based on where they were born rather than some learned group of scholars who are truly trying to preserve deryni culture.

;D That is exactly how I think of them. I don't think they started out that way in the beginning but they certainly ended up that way.

I would like to ask AnnieUK if she ever wrote her story?  I'm curious what theory she had that Vera would break?
May your horses have wings and fly!