• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 12:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Secret passages

Started by Evie, June 17, 2010, 05:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I seem to recall a mention in one of the early books about Rhemuth Castle being riddled with secret passages, although the only one I recall actually being used in the stories is the one that leads from Dhugal's apartment to...um...was it somewhere near the Basilica?  I forget where exactly that one comes out.  Are there other mentions of such passages?  (Even if not, I might make up a few more for story purposes, but I'd at least like to have the ones that are mentioned opening up in the correct places.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Gyrfalcon64207

I don't have my books with me, but there might be more mentioned in the later trilogy of the two Camber era trilogies.  For that matter, if you're ever in Valoret, Ariella escapes through one.  And you know Coroth Castle has plenty of passages too.

Alkari

In ch. 7 of DR, Morgan uses a secret passage to take Kelson across to Duncan in the basilica, before Morgan's trial.  The passage goes from the left of the fireplace in Kelson's quarters (presumably now Dhugal's?) down stairs and along a passage, which brings them out 'just across the square from the basilica'.   No others mentioned in that book as far as I can see.

In HD, there are certainly similar passages in Castle Coroth, as Morgan uses them to get access to his tower and then to reach his own quarters and confront Warin de Grey - see ch. 14.

Evie

Aha! Found the passage I was looking for in Chapter Six of DR.

"Are there many of these secret passages?" [Kelson] asked as they rounded a turn and came to a blank wall.  They stopped, and Morgan handed the candle to Kelson.

"There are enough so that you can get to almost anyplace in the palace without anyone knowing--if you know where you're going."

I knew I'd seen it somewhere!  Of course, the other trick would be knowing where the other entrances and exits to the passageways are, not to mention the secret to opening them.  But one logistical puzzle at a time....   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

They're Deryni.  If they didn't know but suspected one was there, I bet they could find them.

Evie

Would an untrained (or at least mostly untrained) Deryni be able to find them, though, or if she did, would she know how to do the signed gesture required to open the hidden door?

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on June 18, 2010, 02:51:41 PM
Would an untrained (or at least mostly untrained) Deryni be able to find them, though, or if she did, would she know how to do the signed gesture required to open the hidden door?

It would depend on how clever she was at thinking up ways to test it.  Of course, she might get in and not be able to get out.  This could be exploited for either dramatic or comedic possibilities, depending on the nature of the story.

Evie

True.  I also imagine that a secret passage would have entrances designed to close automatically after a very short period of time to help conceal them, otherwise an absent-minded Deryni might accidentally leave one open, inviting passers-by to explore the hitherto unsuspected passageways.  Which, of course, would be a rather glaring security breach in a castle.  You really wouldn't want just anyone able to walk into Kelson's apartment....

But yeah, it still begs the question, what if someone were to find a way in, but couldn't figure out how to get back out?

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

Either they die of thirst, or they yell for help and hope the walls are thin enough, or they mind-call for help and hope they know someone to call who would let them out.
And I'm sure that you can come up with a way for a youngster stretching her muscles to accidentally find and open a secret passage, if you really try.  Although that in itself might be a security breach in a castle, we know that what's-his-name the medic managed to get in.

Evie

"What's-his-name the medic."  I'll be sure to look that one up in my new Codex.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

Leave me be.  I don't have my books with me.  I think it's Tiercel.

wombat1138

There's the passage that Donal Blaine used to get into Alyce's bedroom at the end of ITKS, unless it's the exact same room that Kelson had in DR and Dhugal had later.

derynifanatic64

There is also the secret passages at Grecotha that Camber (in his disguise of Alister Cullen) discovered.  There were at least 2 other passages that he found.  1 led to his discovery of the bodies of Orin and Jodotha.  Another side passage led somewhere, but was completely blocked by debris.  And the unfinished secret passage under the Camberian Council chamber.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

vajewa

Quote from: Gyrfalcon64207 on June 18, 2010, 11:49:48 PM
Leave me be.  I don't have my books with me.  I think it's Tiercel.

He was a member of the CC and thus would have gained such knowledge to be able to function as a member of that body.