• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Torenthi religion

Started by Nikolai, December 12, 2007, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolai

I found it fascinating Katherine chose to make the Torenthi Eastern Orthodox. As a Western convert to that faith I appreciated the detail she included. Gwynedd is an Anglican/Roman Catholic mixture so it was interesting to see Kelson and Alaric's reaction the Orthodox ritual. And then to have the esoterics elements added to it. Orthodoxy always has been more mystical than its Western counterparts, retaining more tradition and ritual. I'm hoping Katherine explores this more.

derynifanatic64

Maybe Katherine will write a trilogy-or a single novel-on Torenth and its history with an emphasis on Wencit and Hogan on their quest to conquer Gwynedd.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

mikegeo

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on January 09, 2008, 06:56:17 PM
Maybe Katherine will write a trilogy-or a single novel-on Torenth and its history with an emphasis on Wencit and Hogan on their quest to conquer Gwynedd.

I would love this and hope that the future Morgan books go in this direction.  Wencit is a fascinating character, and reading the Codex, Hogan seems pretty interesting as well.  From their perspective they are trying to right a 200 year wrong. 

Combing through the Codex you find a lot of Torenth info, much of it would make for very good novels.

vajewa

Seems that in one of the supporting stories (Archive - maybe????") there was also a mention of Judaism.  Would be neat to see this tiny thread fleshed out a little.  There is a huge amount of mysticism in Judaism relating to the Kabbalah. 

Elkhound

Quote from: Valentius on February 21, 2009, 01:36:38 PM
Seems that in one of the supporting stories (Archive - maybe????") there was also a mention of Judaism.  Would be neat to see this tiny thread fleshed out a little.  There is a huge amount of mysticism in Judaism relating to the Kabbalah. 

When they were discussing if the Real Presence in the Reserved Host would count as a 'witness' to Arilan's marriage, the Talmudic precendent of considering the Torah scroll as a silent witness was quoted.

After all, KK's world has both Islam and Christianity, and you can't have either without Judiasm.

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on February 24, 2009, 12:18:33 PM
After all, KK's world has both Islam and Christianity, and you can't have either without Judiasm.
As KK herself pointed out in Deryni Magic.  She said something along the lines of "Many readers have queried the apparent absence of Jews in Gwynedd.  One should never assume that absence of proof is proof of absence...when it comes time to tell a story in which being Jewish is important, as opposed to merely human or merely Deryni, we will see Jews, never fear."

I'm probably misquoting a bit as I'm doing it from memory (too lazy to go grab the book and find the citation).
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

BalanceTheEnergies

QuoteWhen they were discussing if the Real Presence in the Reserved Host would count as a 'witness' to Arilan's marriage, the Talmudic precendent of considering the Torah scroll as a silent witness was quoted.

Was it the Torah scroll, or the Ark of the Covenant (wherein the tablets of the Ten Commandments were stored)? And wasn't that Duncan's marriage to Maryse? I thought Arilan brought it up, since he was acting for Duncan in the matter, with Wolfram de Blanet serving as devil's advocate.
Dubito ergo sum

Elkhound

You're right about Duncan.  I was going from memory.  But, in any case, it indicates that there are Jews in that world and there is at least some contact between Christian and Jewish traditions.