• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 104
Total: 104
Google (AdSense) (3)
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

SCA anyone?

Started by AnnieUK, May 28, 2010, 02:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

I kinda invited myself along to an SCA meet the other day for July.  Anyone do this?  Fun?  Something I'm likely to enjoy given I live and breathe Deryni?  Hubby thinks I'm nuts, but what the heck.

DesertRose

I'm an inactive member of the SCA (too little dosh to go to events right now) but if you enjoy the Deryni, you'll probably get a kick out of the Current Middle Ages.  Dress up and don't feel shy to let people know you're new.   A lot of people in the SCA are very friendly and will gladly show you the ropes.  Have fun.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

I've been in the SCA since the late 1980s (met my husband through the SCA, in fact).  It can be a whole lot of fun, though obviously mileage can vary greatly depending on the personalities involved in one's local group(s) and kingdom.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Gyrfalcon64207

I had a blast in the SCA.  I was in Ered Sul, in Atenveldt (Arizona, and the barony that covers Flagstaff), for 4 months my freshman year.  I was a hardsuiter, and it was a ton of fun.  I stopped because I liked the fighting best, and was getting headaches from it, but I've been considering starting again.

Evie

If you do, stay hydrated (especially in the hot Atenveldt sun!); that might help with reducing the number of headaches, since often those can be an early sign of dehydration.

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

Possible.  The sound of the sword hitting the shield was getting to me.  Strangely enough, the swords hitting my helm was fine.  But I decided that was a sign that I should stop.  I didn't consider drinking more water at the time, but I have since decided that it's a good idea to stay more hydrated.

kirienne (RIP)

I play in the SCA, I'm in the Kingdom of the West, Principality of Cynagua, Province of Golden Rivers. I love it, and have met many friends, including my househould, DarkClaw --who have become chosen family. I'm very active, although I have not been able to attend a few of the events this year due to lack of finances.

AnnieUK

The July one didn't work out, but I've been to my first thing today.  Just small - 20 or so people plus their kids, and archery and rapier, plus a little bit of crafty stuff, but enough to make me think it would be fun.  And I *think* I signed up for Yule Ball! ;)

Evie

I'm glad that worked out, then!   So, did they have loaner garb for you?  :D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Gyrfalcon, seeing this thread again reminds me, the sekanjabin drink I mentioned in one chapter of "The Killing Season" is an actual period beverage, and here in Meridies we sometimes serve it at fighter practice or tourneys as "medieval Gatorade" for hydration. There's at least one modern recipe translation online by Duke Cariadoc of The Bow, if you're interested in trying it.  Don't let The ingredients list scare you; it really tastes better than one might think, especially on hot days, and like lemonade it's both tart and sweet.

--WARNING!!!--

Gyrfalcon64207

Very interesting.  I may try that then.  Or at least look at it.  Thanks!

Evie

The sekanjabin recipe I've had uses mint and lemon (or maybe it was lemon peel?) as the flavoring agents, but there are other interesting variants online with other flavors, such as cinnamon, cloves, lavender, or ginger.  So there's lots of room for experimentation until you find a blend you like best.  I'm thinking of trying one with ginger sometime, and then straining the ginger pieces out afterwards and tossing them in sugar so I can make candied ginger to go along with my sekanjabin syrup.  The syrup will store at room temperature for months if you keep it in a sealed bottle or jar, so you can just make the drink up a glass at a time (I think it's a couple of spoonfuls of syrup per cup or glass of water) rather than having to make a big batch and serve it all at once.  In the Middle East (Iran, I think, since the recipe is ancient Persian), the syrup is also used as a dipping sauce for lettuce, and served up as a cool snack. 

--WARNING!!!--

AnnieUK

Quote from: Evie on September 11, 2010, 05:31:39 PM
I'm glad that worked out, then!   So, did they have loaner garb for you?  :D

I stayed in my own stuff till lunch time, then they chucked a tunic over my head, gave me a belt and called it done! ;)

Having looked at me like I'd grown an extra head when I told her where I was going, DD has now decided *she'd* like to do archery too (and rapier, when she's old enough) and wants to come along next time! :D