• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 185
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

KK Chat 10-25-2009

Started by Bynw, October 26, 2009, 08:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[18:03]* KK (~kkurtz@OWIRCN-b7b1e86b.va.comcast.net) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:03]<KK> Hello, Folks.
[18:04]<KK> Anybody here?
[18:04]<Icarus> Hey there, KK.
[18:05]<KK> Sorry I've missed the last couple of weeks.
[18:05]<Icarus> It's quite alright, Katherine ... we are happy to have you as much as you *are* here.
[18:05]<Kelric> KK!
[18:06]<KK> Hey, Kelric.
[18:06]<Kelric> well.  I've probably gotten another person hooked into the universe today.
[18:06]* Shiral (Mibbit@504018.A7BCBA.B14B10.7ECE3F) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:06]<KK> Excellent!
[18:06]<Shiral> Hi all
[18:06]<Kelric> on the other topic,  my mom found my copy of Childe Morgan and tried to start reading it and asked for the previous book.  I asked her how many of the books she had read before in the series and she said none so I passed her the revised Kelson 1 Trilogy instead :)
[18:06]<KK> Hi, Shiral.
[18:06]<Shiral> Hi KK
[18:06]<Bynw> hiyas KK
[18:06]<Kelric> now i need to find my copies of Camber 1 trilogy.
[18:07]<KK> Hi, Bynw.  Wasn't sure if this was going to work tonight or not.
[18:07]* Bynw gives channel operator status to KK
[18:07]<Kelric> how are you doing? 
[18:08]<KK> I'm doing great.  My surgery went very well, as did my birthday.
[18:08]<Shiral> Two things you really want to go well
[18:08]<Shiral> If one must have them at all =o)
[18:08]* the_Bee (the_Bee@OWIRCN-3c593f80.cable.mindspring.com) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:09]<KK> Well, yes.  And Mr. Puppy, aka Booker or Books, now weights 31 lbs and is pretty much sleeping through the night without having to be booted outside to pee.  Yay!
[18:10]<the_Bee> booker? Where'd you get that name from?
[18:10]<Shiral> Good name for an author's dog, I think
[18:10]<KK> Because he's half Swiss Entlebucher Mountain Dog.
[18:11]<the_Bee> ah. the bucherbass
[18:11]<KK> Yeah, he's a sweetie, and very smart.
[18:12]<the_Bee> he and Oswald still getting along?
[18:13]<KK> Yep, and they play like mad, chasing and wrestling.  Booker wants to do all the things that the Big Dog does.  It can be very comical at times.
[18:13]<the_Bee> any pics on the website yet?
[18:14]<KK> Not yet.  I did get the pics loaded into the computer though--but I need to take some more, as he's growing so fast.
[18:16]<the_Bee> :)   Have I missed any book or movie news?
[18:17]<KK> No.  I talked to my scriptwriter last week.  He'd gotten stuck for a couple of weeks, but is now back on track.  Still looking hopeful.
[18:18]<the_Bee> Is everyone one else here lurking?
[18:18]<KK> And I finally got back on the book a couple of days ago, once the post-op anaesthesia-brain got back to normal.
[18:18]<Shiral> I'm here
[18:18]<the_Bee> How's your recovery going?
[18:18]<Shiral> Having to do a bit of multi-tasking at my end
[18:18]<the_Bee> KK's, not Shiral's
[18:19]<KK> Fine.  Incisions are all healed up, digestion is working fine--in all, a success.
[18:19]<Shiral> Tee, hee, I know, Bee
[18:20]* the_Bee tosses Hobbes a catnip mouse
[18:23]<Shiral> How are the cats coping with Booker?
[18:24]<KK> They're fine with him.  He's very exuberant sometimes, and tries to herd them, but no problems at all.  he was small enough wne he came, that they were able to lay down the law from the start.
[18:25]* jojo (Mibbit@C06FE3.84EB87.C08168.EA69C6) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:25]<the_Bee> howdy jojo!
[18:25]<jojo> Hello all!
[18:25]<Shiral> Smart cats
[18:25]<Shiral> Hi Jojo
[18:26]<KK> Yep.  Sasha even head-butts him, and sometimes snuggles up next to him.  Gus also rather likes him.
[18:26]<KK> All of them were helping me trim bushes yesterday and today, having a grand old time.
[18:27]<the_Bee> We had a dog and kitten when I was a kid.  The kitten used the dog's nipples as pacifiers.
[18:27]<Shiral> Such helpful cat. Mine look at me and ask, "When's dinner, slave?"
[18:27]<KK> I've heard of dogs fostering cats and vice-versa.
[18:28]<the_Bee> The dog was spayed, so no food, just comfort
[18:29]<KK> Well, I wouldn't think that would last very long.
[18:29]<Shiral> Having been bitten by a cat, I wouldn't think it would be much fun for the dog!
[18:29]<the_Bee> Tinkerbell let Tiny near her kitten when she became a momcat.
[18:32]* Shiral drops pin
[18:32]<Shiral> CLANG!
[18:33]<jojo> big pin; must have been mine I swept from myt sewing room cleaing this evening!
[18:33]<the_Bee> so how are things in Houston?
[18:34]<KK> Don't remind me.  My sewing nook badly needs cleaning.  My sewing machine needs cleaning even more, and oiling.
[18:34]<jojo> Been beautiful the last few days; rain coming tomorrow- flash flood watch.  But early fall has arrived.
[18:34]<Shiral>  You could mistake that pin for a railroad tie nail
[18:35]<KK> Rain here yesterday, but today is one of those perfect autumn days.  The foliage is in full array.  Beautiful!
[18:35]<Shiral> It's trying to arrive in California, but not trying very HARD
[18:35]<the_Bee> ours is coming along.
[18:35]<jojo> That's great, KK. Means it'll come here in late Nov.
[18:36]<Shiral> We need lots of  rain, so if you don't want your rain, we'll be glad of more
[18:36]<Shiral> Just wondering KK, does Gwynedd ever have droughts? It seems like one of those nice green places with lots of moisture
[18:37]<KK> They get really hot summers sometimes, so I'm sure they get droughts, too.  In fact, I think I remember writing about that in....King's Service, I think.
[18:38]<Shiral> Oh that's right. Bonk on the head for me
[18:38]* the_Bee sets out mugs of cider--both hot and cold--and warm, fresh-baked manchet bread with honey, clotted cream, and home-made strawberry preserves.
[18:38]<KK> Oh, yum!
[18:39]* Kelric wishes he could eat all those things
[18:39]<KK> I wonder where one gets clotted cream on this side of the Atlantic.  It was hard enough to find in Ireland.
[18:39]<Shiral> They're virtual anyway, Kelric so dig in to the virtual feast
[18:39]<Shiral>  =o)
[18:39]<KK> None of us can eat them very often, except virtually.  Sigh.
[18:39]<Kelric> I'm still in recovery mode right now and still waiting for the decision on when I'm going to have my surgery...
[18:39]<the_Bee> you can eat them virtually and still be virtuous, Kelric. :)
[18:40]<jojo> and... no calories!
[18:40]<Shiral> I've seen Devonshire cream in little jars at expensive stores, but always find the reality short of the anticipation
[18:40]<KK> That's right, you were waiting for things to settle down.  The procedure itself ought to be easy, though, once they clear you for the surgery.
[18:40]<jojo> How did yours go?
[18:40]<Shiral> But clotted cream is almost impossible
[18:41]<the_Bee> How's your weight loss coming, Kelric?
[18:41]<Shiral> One thing I do love though is Mascarpone  cheese
[18:41]<Kelric> I'm hovering around 230 right now.
[18:41]<Kelric> considering just over a year ago I was round 315 that's darn good.
[18:42]<KK> Splendidly.  I ended up having two procedures instead of one, because there was a stone in the common bile duct that was probably sitting there since the surgery 12 years ago to <not> remove the gall bladder. 
[18:42]<Kelric> I'm probably now the lightest among me and my 2 brothers
[18:42]<the_Bee> I'm about  15 pounds over ideal and 10 pounds over achievable weight.
[18:42]<jojo> Great, KK!
[18:42]<KK> But that was in the early evening, and under heavy sedation and via endoscope rather than general anaeasthesia.  It meant staying overnight, since they didn't finish the second one until about 6 PM, but that was ok.
[18:43]<KK> It seems the second guy, who specializes in that sort of surgery, was working over at UVA, so they had to wait for him to come over the hill.  First surgery was at around 8 AM.
[18:44]<Shiral> And it's a nice thing to have in one'
[18:44]<Shiral> past
[18:44]<the_Bee> nicer thing to have over and done.
[18:44]<Shiral> Definitely
[18:44]<KK> My 4 itty-bitty incisions are essentially healed, no longer tender to the touch or even the prod.  I go back a week from Thursday for my final check-up.
[18:45]<Kelric> II'm frustrated.  I thouight I had found a fat free hot chocolate that wasn't going to give me problems.  but last night it decided to give trouble.  though it was probably because I was in a very crowded and stressful place yesterday.
[18:45]<Shiral> I'd have surgery to save my life or any procedure that was truly necessary to my well being. Can't figure out why some people seem to think surgery is a form of recreation, though!
[18:45]* the_Bee sends KK good check-up woodgies
[18:45]<Shiral> But it does sound as if you're already over the hardest part
[18:46]<KK> They get addicted to it.  Sad.
[18:46]* jojo congratulates KK in a successful outcome.. and no need for physical therapy.
[18:47]<Shiral> I can think of things I could  get addicted to; incisions aren't one of them =o)
[18:48]<jojo> Hed my knees done a couple of years ago.. recovery was not too bad, and the result is- I can dance!
[18:48]<the_Bee> Shiral, what is Mascarpone cheese like?
[18:48]<jojo> had
[18:49]<Shiral> It's like Cream cheese in consistency and less caloric than butter on your morning toast
[18:49]<Shiral> It's a mildly sweet Italian cheese
[18:49]<Shiral> They use it to make Tiramisu--it's delish.
[18:49]<Shiral> It's mildness is especially good paired with things like Lemon curd
[18:50]<KK> Just had to go rescue Booker from a cat who apparently was backed into a corner and growling, and he was whuffing. 
[18:50]<the_Bee> Is the puppy's nose unscratched?
[18:50]<Shiral> My mom had a knee replaced  a few years ago JOjo, and she'll be having the other replaced in January.
[18:50]<KK> Mascarpone is yummy.
[18:50]<KK> No scratches, no close encounter.  Just a warning.
[18:51]<Shiral> She found the recovery hard but once her incisions healed up, she was SO happy she did it
[18:51]* the_Bee makes a note to try mascarpone.
[18:51]<Shiral> It's very very good, yes
[18:51]<jojo> I want to try that Mascarpone.. in real life...
[18:51]<Shiral> I get what I buy at Trader Joes'
[18:51]<the_Bee> My brother was talking about knee repair surgery. I don't know if he's done it.
[18:52]<KK> Wish we had one here, but the closest one is in DC.
[18:52]<the_Bee> mascarpone sounds like it would go with a tart jam.
[18:52]<Shiral> Another friend had it done, and by the time she was done describing the procedure I had both hands over my ears and was wincing in sympathetic pain
[18:52]<jojo> the whole key to knee surgery is doing the exercises early and have somebody count and make sure you do them...
[18:53]<the_Bee> Was your for cartilege replacement?
[18:53]<jojo> Cause the MD will really dope you up so it doesn't hurt too bad the first week or two.
[18:53]<Shiral> Yup, you have to keep your joint limber.  But I shiver everytime I think of it!
[18:54]<jojo> Whole knee.. arthritis with bone spurs.  And afterward, since your knee is metal and plastic, there is NO PAIN.
[18:54]<Shiral> Seems a lot more practical to just get a Healer on the job--Oh wait...
[18:54]<the_Bee> I guess that's why Ted wasn't rushing into it.  he wanted a second opinion.
[18:54]<jojo> I didn't have any cartilege left and had to use a cane.
[18:54]<KK> Not high on my list of things I'd seek out.  (Gus is not on my lap and helping me type--not.
[18:55]<Shiral> Cats are so good at that.  Nina likes to sit on my desk and drape herself over my left forearm
[18:55]<the_Bee> not on your lap?  Is he doing it by telekinesis? ;)
[18:55]<KK> Gus is biting my rings, so I have to fend him off with ione hand and try to type wioth the other.
[18:55]<Shiral> One morning a few weeks ago, I got up to answer the phone, and when I came back she was lying ON the keyboard. Suddenly I had a whole bunch of N's and K's in my text!
[18:56]<KK> Cats are very creative.
[18:56]<Shiral> She looked at me with this "Well, what are you fussing about?" look on her little face. =o)
[18:57]<the_Bee> I just realized--where's Jemler?
[18:57]<Shiral> Temprus and Icarus are both being very quiet
[18:57]<Shiral> And unfortunately I'm contraband chatting, so I have to go, soon
[18:58]<the_Bee> seeya, Melissa.  Have a good week.
[18:58]<the_Bee> but stay as long as you can get away with it. :)
[18:58]<Shiral> Gotta plan a costume for the Halloween party I'm going to, next weekend..
[18:58]<Shiral> Unfortunately ,this is it, folks
[18:58]<Temprus> contraband chatting?
[18:59]<the_Bee> I have a costume but no party.
[18:59]* Shiral steps onto her portal, waves farewell and disappears in a cloud of black and orange steam
[18:59]<Shiral> Happy Samhain to all!
[18:59]<KK> Have a good week, everybody, and a good Halloween.
[18:59]<Shiral> BYE
[18:59]* Shiral has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
[18:59]<KK> Bye!
[18:59]<Temprus> bye, kk
[18:59]<KK> Drat!
[18:59]<the_Bee> you leaving too, KK?
[18:59]<jojo> So long folks!
[19:00]<the_Bee> seeya jojo
[19:00]<KK> Yeah, I'd better.  I'm working on a Camberiana Council meeting, and it's about to get gory.
[19:00]<the_Bee> oooh!  messy!
[19:00]* jojo has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
[19:01]<KK> It's actually a description of gory, not gory in the CC chamber--but it's probably a good thing that it's once-removed from the actual event that's being reported.
[19:02]<KK> Anyway, back to work.  See you next week, unless something happens to prevent it.
[19:02]* KK steps onto her Portal, waves goodnight, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[19:02]<the_Bee> nighters, KK
[19:02]<Kelric> nighters kk
[19:03]<KK> Nighters.
[19:03]* KK has quit (Quit: )
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com