• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 08:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

KK Chat 07-19-2009

Started by Bynw, July 20, 2009, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[18:05]* KK (~kkurtz@OWIRCN-b7b1e86b.va.comcast.net) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:05]<Bynw> hiyas sis
[18:05]<Bynw> Hiyas KK
[18:05]* Bynw gives channel operator status to Elim-Sleep jojo KK Shiral
[18:06]<KK> Hello.  Sorry I missed the last two weeks, but things sometimes come up on a Sunday evening.
[18:06]<Shiral> Hi Bynw and KK
[18:06]<@jojo> Howdy, KK
[18:06]<KK> Hi, Shiral.
[18:06]<@Shiral> You mean you have a life away from chat?  =o)
[18:06]<KK> Yeah, social obs.  What can one do...?
[18:07]<@Shiral> Fulfill them!  =o)
[18:07]<Bynw> thats just not going to be allowed anymore :) there is only chat
[18:07]<@Shiral> How was the Morgan show?
[18:07]<@jojo> Just listened to the DR audiobook.  Nice!
[18:08]<KK> Yep.  And last week, there was this super picnic birthday party for two of our friends, with roast pork, baked sweet potato casserole, corn pudding...yum!
[18:08]* Shiral is holding out for the CDs
[18:08]<KK> Ah, good to hear that.  I haven't listened to it yet.  I take it that the reader has a good voice?
[18:08]<@jojo> Sweet potatoes!!
[18:08]<@Shiral> BRB, lunch in oven
[18:08]<@jojo> Yes
[18:09]<KK> Well, he seemed nice on the phone.  And he's a fan, which can only help.
[18:10]<@jojo> Gets the various voices fine, without standing out so much that you are paying attention to the voice and not the story.
[18:10]<KK> Hey, Bynw, maybe you can help me on this.  I officially subscribed to this site several years ago--a one-time thing, I was told--and dutifully put away the authorization number....but in the chaos of the move, I seem to have misplaced the book with the magic number.  Can you help?
[18:11]<KK> I had to reinstall Windows.  Yuck!  And replace my laser printer.  Also yuck. 
[18:12]<@Shiral> I'm back
[18:12]<KK> But Cameron did find me a great buy-back program from HP, which is giving me $125 on my old HP printer, since I bought a new color laser printer.
[18:12]<Bynw> what site?
[18:12]<@jojo> That's great!
[18:13]<@Shiral> Money back is always nice
[18:13]<KK> Whatever the site was at the time.  I paid the fee to a guy with a foreign-sounding name.  Maybe Indian?
[18:13]<Bynw> are you talking about mIRC the chat program?
[18:14]* the_Bee (the_Bee@OWIRCN-3c593f80.cable.mindspring.com) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:14]<KK> I guess.
[18:14]<@jojo> Probably. Many companies us India for first tier cust. support
[18:14]<@jojo> use
[18:14]<KK> I got a message tonight when I signed in, that I only had 6 days left, or something like that.
[18:14]<Bynw> ok yeah sounds like mIRC
[18:14]<Bynw> http://www.mirc.com/reglost.html  <--- this will find it for you
[18:14]<@Shiral> Hi Bee
[18:14]<the_Bee> 6 days to what?
[18:15]<the_Bee> Hi shiral
[18:15]<@jojo> Hi Bee.
[18:15]<KK> Until my mIRC subscription runs out, I guess.  I had to reinstall Windows, so everything got wiped clean.
[18:16]<KK> I also am now on Outlook rather than Outlook Express, and HATE it.  Cameron is trying to figure out how to get me back on OE.
[18:16]<the_Bee> Hi jojo
[18:16]<@jojo> I keep a text file with all that kind of info.
[18:16]<@jojo> If you want to try Windows Mail, it is similar to Outlook Express.
[18:16]<KK> A good idea.  But at the time, I had this notebook....  Just can't find it now.  I've seen it since we got here, but can't remember where.
[18:17]<@jojo> I back my text file up a couple of times a year to a cd.
[18:17]<@Shiral> This does remind me I need to back up my novel files
[18:19]<KK> OK, Bynw, I've just gone to that site and filled out the info; should receive an e-mail soon, they tell me.
[18:19]<@jojo> Did Cameron give you XP or Vista
[18:19]<KK> XP, of course!  Vista sucks little green rocks, from everything I've heard.
[18:20]<@jojo> It is not a workhourse at all.
[18:20]<@Shiral> I've had good luck with Vista, knocking on wod
[18:20]<@Shiral> wood, too
[18:20]<KK> I understand that the new version coming out soon has fixed the horrendous parts of Vista, and is actually quite good.  We shall see....
[18:21]<@Shiral> Or maybe thinking of XP.... I turn on the computer, and it works. Rarely keep track of the OS until it ceases working
[18:23]<KK> Had we but known that the old printer was in the process of dying--after only 2 years!--we wouldn't have had to reinstall Windows.  But apparently one accumulates a lot of crap in that time, just from ordinarl use, so it's a good idea to reinstall periodically.  That's how I lost my Outlook Express, though.  It's a work in progress.
[18:23]<the_Bee> what's supposed to happen when I back up a file?  I tried it once, but couldn't open the backed-up file.
[18:24]<@jojo> I put Vista on my home system because I get lots of questions about it.  Got xp and W2k that I support at work.
[18:24]<the_Bee> mine is xp
[18:24]<KK> BTW, Martine is temporarily homeless but incredibly rich, as they wait for the repairs to be done to their new house and camp with parents, probably for the rest of the month.
[18:24]<@Shiral> I usually just install a USB thingie and click "Save as" then save my new file to the USB Drive
[18:24]* Rhyselle (Mibbit@OWIRCN-28528b17.mibbit.com) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:24]<@jojo> That's a good way.
[18:24]<the_Bee> hi rhyselle
[18:25]<@Shiral> Hi Rhyselle
[18:25]<Rhyselle> Hello
[18:25]<@jojo> Hi rhysells
[18:25]<@jojo> Rhyseele
[18:25]<Bynw> hiyas Rhyselle
[18:25]<Rhyselle> It figures that I get called away on an errand and end up missing the start of the chat. :)
[18:25]<@jojo> fingers, behave! Rhyselle
[18:25]<KK> Hi-ho!
[18:25]<@Shiral> Ah well, once they move into the new house, there will be things to spend money on right and left, I'll bet
[18:25]<Rhyselle> Hello, KK! :) I'm in the middle of re-reading LAMMAS NIGHT.
[18:25]<Bynw> KK you have a PM :)
[18:25]<the_Bee> rented fingers, jojo?
[18:25]<Rhyselle> Thanks!
[18:25]* Bynw gives channel operator status to Rhyselle the_Bee
[18:25]<@jojo> yes
[18:26]<KK> Ah, one of my favorite books.  I'm hoping to ge it re-released.
[18:26]<@jojo> Did you ever find someone to scan it?
[18:26]<@Rhyselle> Oh, I hope it happens... my copy is sooooooo tattered. :) I'm on re-reading 30 or so
[18:26]<KK> Not yet.  But then, I haven't asked yet.  Any volunteers?
[18:27]<@Rhyselle> I can help with that
[18:27]<@Rhyselle> Got a new scanner... would make a good first project for it.
[18:27]<@Rhyselle> And since the book's spine is already broken, it won't make it look any worse. LOL
[18:28]<KK> Aha!  A willing sucker--er, volunteer?  That would be great, Rhyselle.
[18:28]<@Shiral> Broken spines actually help when it comes to scanning.=o)
[18:28]<KK> This is true.
[18:28]<@Rhyselle> I'm up to the start of the third party and they are getting Wells out of the picture.
[18:28]<KK> If it isn't broken when one starts, it will certainly be broken by the time it's done.
[18:28]<@Shiral> Pages lie flatter on the scanning bed
[18:29]<@Rhyselle> BTW, don't read the past regression scenes when you are doped up on Flexeral. :P
[18:29]<@Rhyselle> I dreamed about them very vividly!
[18:29]<@the_Bee> Flexeral?
[18:29]<@Shiral> It can be unwise to read under pharmaceutical influence. =o)
[18:30]* Samuel (~Samuel_@OWIRCN-0d3cdba3.pa.comcast.net) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:30]<KK> My scanner/printer/copier is also being temperamental, probably because one of the orange cats sprayed the front of it a few weeks ago.  I cleaned it up as best I could, and it works--sort of.  But sometimes it gets stuck in copy mode, and just keeps churning out copies.
[18:30]<@Rhyselle> I strained my shoulder (again) and the doc put me on the tiniest dose possible and it still had me befuddled 24 hours later
[18:30]<Samuel> hello all
[18:30]<@the_Bee> hi sam
[18:30]<@Shiral> I wouldn't work that well after a cat piss bath, Myself.
[18:30]<KK> Samuel!  Hello!
[18:30]<@Shiral> Hi Samwise
[18:30]<@Rhyselle> Hi Sam!
[18:30]<@jojo> Hi Sam
[18:31]<Bynw> Katherine, any idea when the audio books will be available on CD and at stores? Other than just the download thats going on right now for them
[18:31]<Bynw> hiyas Samuel
[18:31]<@Rhyselle> The_Bee, Flexeral is a muscle relaxant... the physical effects last about 12 hours, the brain fog lasts another 12 or so
[18:32]<@the_Bee> ah.  but it's nice and relaxing?
[18:32]<KK> They told me it would be several months, so that's all I know.  Maybe by the end of the summer?
[18:32]* jemler (~jemler@OWIRCN-d9fe3342.oh.comcast.net) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:32]<jemler> hi folks
[18:32]<KK> Hi, Jemler.
[18:32]<@Shiral> Hi Jemler
[18:32]<@the_Bee> Jemler! HI
[18:32]<@jojo> Howdy Jemler!
[18:33]<jemler> sorry I'm late!  was watching the special on Walter Crokite
[18:33]<@jojo> me too
[18:33]<@the_Bee> oh yes.  An icon has passed.
[18:33]<jemler> i grew up on that guy
[18:33]<@Shiral> I know, it's hard to conceive of him being gone
[18:34]<KK> Oh, and keep those candles and lit and prayer-wheels turning, because Sony has asked for a third draft from our intrepid script writer, when they could have turned it over to another writer after two.  This means they like it, and it's nearly there.  Now they're having him somewhat simpllify what he'd made more complicated because that's what they told him they wanted.  It's a work in progress.
[18:34]<@Rhyselle> Somehow it seems appropriate that he passed during the anniversary of the first Moon landing spaceflight
[18:34]<@Shiral> Although as a little kid, I got mixed up and sometimes called him Walter Concrete
[18:34]<jemler> maybe he'll stop off there! :)
[18:34]<@Shiral> OOOOOOO..
[18:34]* Shiral lights up a candelabra
[18:34]<@Rhyselle> KK, I'll add that to my prayer list!
[18:35]<jemler> isn't that the name they gave him in The Flintstones?!
[18:35]<KK> Ah, yes.  I grew up with his work.  I was looking up You Are There this morning; never have forgotten the one they showed us in--must have been 8th or 9th grade--on The Assassination of Julius Caesar.
[18:35]<@Shiral> Can't remember, Jemler. My mother was anti-daytime TV
[18:36]<KK> And of course, I remember him and the Moon Walk.  He was as excited as any kid.
[18:36]<jemler> You must have figured out how to use a Transfer Portal to time Travel!
[18:36]* Samuel thinks "smart mother" but says nothing.
[18:36]<@Rhyselle> When I was studying news broadcasting in college (for my Mass Communications degree) there was practically a fistfight between the older members of the class on who would get to do their paper on him vice other newspeople of note.
[18:36]<KK> He was definitely a one-off.  I doubt we shall see his likes again.
[18:37]<@the_Bee> did you hear about how NASA lost the original tapes of the mooon walk?
[18:37]<@Shiral> Ah she was smart in a lot of ways, Sam. But I didn't get to watch the Flintstones unless I was over at a friend's house
[18:37]<KK> Not all; just some.  Fortunately, there were other copies.
[18:37]<jemler> After he retired, my parents didn't watch CBS Evening News anymore. They switched to watching WTAE out of Pittsburgh, Pa
[18:37]<@the_Bee> very fortunate
[18:37]<KK> We mostly watch Fox, these days.
[18:37]<@Shiral> I remember standing out on our driveway, staring up at the moon on the night of the landing, trying to see the people on it that way. =o)
[18:38]<@Shiral> It didn't work
[18:38]<KK> Shucks.
[18:38]<@jojo> I remember going to the JSC to see the first moonrocks on display, and the film.
[18:38]<jemler> I'm recording the show.
[18:38]<@Shiral> No kidding. But it was cool anyway--nobody remembered I was up Waaaay after my bedtime.
[18:39]<@the_Bee> I was working as a librarian in Michigan at the time.
[18:39]<jemler> its to bad the moon landing couldn't have waited a few yrars, then they could have played "The Dark Side of the Moon"
[18:39]<KK> I was watching it at a friend's house up in Topanga Canyon.  She had a great dane, black & white harlequin, named Tessie, who was a sweetie.
[18:39]<@Rhyselle> My parents told us we were getting to stay up late because they wanted us to be able to tell our kids about it. :)
[18:39]<@Shiral> I remember in school EVERYTHING to do with astronauts was immensely cool
[18:40]<KK> I thought seriously about going into space medicine.
[18:40]<jemler> The last thing I remember before going to sleep as a kid, was watching Carol Burnette
[18:40]* Bynw gives channel operator status to Samuel
[18:40]* Bynw gives channel operator status to jemler
[18:40]<@Rhyselle> It saddened me how after Apollo 13, the space program was just sort of shuffled off to the side of the national consciousness unless there was a disaster.
[18:40]<@jojo> Most of my classmates knew or were related to someone who worked under the NASA umbrella.
[18:41]<@jojo> My dad engineered the air conditioning for the first cafeteria at JSC.
[18:41]<@Shiral> My mother even let us have Tang which she'd never have bought if it didn't have something to do with NASA
[18:41]<@Rhyselle> KK, while I"m sure you'd have done a great job there, I'm glad that you chose your current career field instead. :)
[18:41]<KK> It ticks me off that a lot of people don't understand why the space program is so important.  Of COURSE we have to go Out there!
[18:41]<@jojo> Here! Here!
[18:41]<@the_Bee> PBS recently did specials on the first and last moon landings.
[18:42]* Elim-Sleep is now known as Elim
[18:42]<@Shiral> Well yes, if you'd gone into space medicine, all of us would be doing something else this afternoon. =o)
[18:42]<@the_Bee> nice nap, elim?
[18:42]* Elim has quit (Changing hosts)
[18:42]* Elim (~Elim@survival.is.preparedness) has joined #deryni_destinations
[18:42]* byss.otherworlders.org gives channel operator status to Elim
[18:42]<@jemler> Like watching Walter Cronkite?
[18:42]<@Elim> Just never set myself as here.
[18:42]<@Shiral> So... since you're an author rather than a space doctor, how has the writing been lately, KK?
[18:42]<KK> This is probably true.  On the other hand, one of the important reasons I left medicine was precisely so that I could read and write and think....
[18:44]<KK> I've finally got those first couple of chapters behaving properly and am charging forward.  Kenneth and Jared are just receiving word that Duke Andrew has taken a serious turn, and they need to get back to Cassan fast if they want to see him alive again.
[18:44]<@Shiral> On the other hand, your medical studies must have helped you develop Healers
[18:45]<KK> My medical studies also helped me with Adam Sinclair and others.
[18:45]<Bynw> thats a lot of other hands there ....
[18:45]<@Shiral> Definitely
[18:45]<@Shiral> Why not be multidextrous?
[18:45]<@Samuel> Is someone here related to The Adam's Family?
[18:46]<KK> We used to have a weeping Japanese maple that we named Cousin It.
[18:46]<@Rhyselle> *snicker*
[18:46]<@Shiral> LOL
[18:47]<@Samuel> a Weeping Maple?  All I ever heard of were Weeping Willows
[18:48]<@jemler> put it next to a weeping willow, maybe thwey can console each other! :)
[18:48]<KK> I considered getting another one here, to be our Edgar Tree (in memory of the late lamented Edgar the Cat), but those suckers are nearly $200!  I'm now thinking about maybe a crape myrtle.  Or a Dogwood, though I don't know what the cats would think about that.  We do have about 5 already, though.
[18:48]<@Rhyselle> BRB, gotta check on the stuff I canned today and get it on the shelf so they don't get knocked over.
[18:48]<@Shiral> Excellent news on the book progress btw
[18:48]<KK> Whoa, she cans?!
[18:48]<@Shiral> Rename it Catwood, KK  =o)
[18:48]<Bynw> apparently she said she made pickles earlier
[18:49]<@the_Bee> or get a pussy willow :)
[18:49]<@jemler> those who can, can. those who cannot shop!
[18:49]<KK> This could happen, I suppose.  But the crape myrtle is also nie--and has those coppery leaves.
[18:49]<@Rhyselle> Back.  I have a Master Food Preserver certification from the Colorado State Extension Office.
[18:49]<@Shiral> The most adventurous I get is making homemade lemon or lime curd
[18:50]<@Shiral> We're impressed with your canning acumen, Rhyselle
[18:50]<@Rhyselle> I've made strawberry jam, sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, and pickle relish so far.
[18:50]<KK> I'm impressed, Rhyselle.  My sister makes great jam, and tells me it's super-easy, but I've never gotten breave enough to try it.
[18:50]<KK> brave
[18:50]<@Shiral> I have made jam with my mom and the result is always good.
[18:50]<Bynw> I make good salsa :)
[18:50]<@Shiral> But we always seem to make jam during heatwaves
[18:50]<KK> Jeanne's plum jam is to die for!
[18:50]<@Rhyselle> I get a lot of satisfaction out of it... and with a family of five kids, it makes our grocery bill cheaper.
[18:51]<KK> I guess!
[18:51]<@Rhyselle> And I appreciate more of what our ancestors went through to make it through the winter now.
[18:51]<@Shiral> Very practical, yes
[18:51]<@Samuel> lots of sugar and lots of fruit.....  how can you go wrong?
[18:51]<@Shiral> And lots of stirring
[18:51]<@Rhyselle> Pectin helps. :)
[18:51]<KK> I get that appreciation every time I drive through the mountains in bad weather and think about covered wagons and the like.
[18:51]<@Shiral> Now I'm getting  the  urge to go make jam... see what you've started?  =o)
[18:52]<@Rhyselle> I'm hoping to get some venison from my brother in law this fall to make jerky.  Haven't done that in a few years.
[18:52]<KK> And as for building the transcontinental railroad....!
[18:52]<@Shiral> Pioneers had to work incredibly hard to feed and clothe everyone
[18:52]<@Samuel> Shiral: you make the jam and I'll share my homemade soft pretzels with you.
[18:52]<KK> Ooooh, venison should be enjoyed as venison, not jerky!
[18:52]<KK> Soft pretzels?  Yum!
[18:52]<@Shiral> I remember reading Laura Ingalls Wilder and just being floored at her descriptions of hog butchering time
[18:53]<@Shiral> It's a deal, Sam
[18:53]<Bynw> sam can also supply the mead
[18:53]<@Shiral> Although lately, my project has been lemon or lime curd
[18:53]<@Samuel> yea, I found the recipe in a cookbook my parents' church put out several years ago.
[18:53]<@the_Bee> they didn't show that in the TV series.
[18:53]<@Shiral> REALLY good
[18:53]<@Samuel> EASY!
[18:53]<@jemler> we used to make deer kerky, and baking powder biscuits. or home made hard casndy.
[18:53]<@Rhyselle> Well, jerky takes up the extra bits of left over meat after the chops and roasts and such are accounted for.  Yummy for snacking
[18:54]<KK> This is true.
[18:54]<@Shiral> Certainly keeps it from going to waste
[18:54]<@Rhyselle> I just hate throwing away any useable part of the meat after all.
[18:54]<@Shiral> Not with five kids to feed!
[18:55]<@jemler> Waste? Deer meat? Impossible!
[18:55]<KK> Yes, my mother taught me that wasting food is close to an Original Sin.
[18:55]<@Samuel> If I remember my statistics correctly, it took a frontere woman 4 hours worth of work to put dinner on the table.
[18:55]<@Rhyselle> Mine too!
[18:55]<@the_Bee> yes. People are rediscovering the value of frugality.
[18:55]<@Shiral> Which is the upside to hard times
[18:55]<@Rhyselle> Aye.
[18:55]<@Samuel> A modern woman can have dinner ready in less than 45 minutes.
[18:55]<KK> Especially in these economic times.
[18:55]<@Shiral> Although I'm keeping hte washing machine, thanks awfully
[18:56]<@Rhyselle> I looked at my pantry and realized that I have everything I need to make several recipes from my medieval cookbooks.
[18:56]<@Shiral> Since I don't have a castle full of laundresses to do my wash
[18:56]<KK> Yep, my next cost-buster is training the guys to turn off lights!  Then we'll worry about unplugging things that aren't in use.
[18:57]<@Shiral> Maybe you could train Oswald first
[18:57]<KK> He doesn't leave lights on.
[18:57]<@Rhyselle> If I lived back then, I'd probably be one of those laundresses, or a kitchen worker. I was probably a peasant in all of my past lives. LOL
[18:57]<@Shiral> Then the guys would be embarrassed to be outdone by  Bassador
[18:57]<KK> This is true.
[18:57]<@Shiral> I suppose he'd find it hard to reach the light switch
[18:57]<KK> But Oswald would probably blame the cats.
[18:58]<@Shiral> Ah well, being so dextrous, the cats might be better to train
[18:58]<KK> Train a cat?  Right.....
[18:58]<Bynw> i was just thinking that
[18:58]<@Samuel> train a cat?  I'd rather try to make a river flow uphill.
[18:58]<@Shiral> Okay, so I forgot who I was talking about =o)
[18:59]<Bynw> have to train it since a kittenhood to get good results
[18:59]<@Rhyselle> LOL
[18:59]<@Shiral> Since they can see in the dark they'd never turn the lights on, anyway
[18:59]<KK> They do learn some things.  Actually, they probably learn a lot--it's just that they choose not do do what they've been trianed for, or against.
[19:00]<@jojo> KK, thanks for the Sony update.
[19:00]<KK> Of course.  I'll let you know when I hear the next progress report.
[19:00]<@Shiral> My cats have learned the "no bites" rule
[19:00]<@Shiral> Other than that, we have battles of will
[19:01]<KK> For now, I've just got my head down and am writing.
[19:01]<@Shiral> Write woman, write!
[19:01]<KK> I am!
[19:01]<KK> And right now, I need to go and cook, because there are hungry guys in this house, and I promised them dinner.
[19:01]<@jemler> Shiral! You forgot to genuflect!
[19:02]<@Shiral> Mea culpa
[19:02]* Shiral genuflects
[19:02]<@jemler> THey still can't cook? Teach them to make toast! they'll be happy!
[19:02]<@the_Bee> Have a good week, KK
[19:02]<@Samuel> OH COOL!!!!!!!     http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/nightclouds/
[19:02]<KK> 'S allright. 
[19:02]<@Shiral> Have a good week KK, and may the inspriation be plentiful
[19:03]<KK> Thanks.  See you next week, so far as I know.
[19:03]<@Rhyselle> Take care, KK.  God bless!
[19:03]<@Shiral> Tell them that if they don't start turning off lights they're GOING to learn to cook =o)
[19:03]<@Samuel> G'night KK
[19:03]<@jemler> nite KK
[19:03]* KK steps onto her Portal, waves goodnight, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[19:03]<@jojo> nite
[19:03]<@Shiral> Night KK, thanks for Popping by
[19:03]<@the_Bee> bye KK
[19:03]<KK> Nighters!
[19:03]* KK has quit (Quit: )
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com