collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Rest in Peace: Susan Werner, Zipper Sister, Mistress of Complications  (Read 20493 times)

Offline JulianneTK

• Squire
Ah, Susan.  The memories of your presence in Boston a couple of years ago with both your parents as you and we explored the historic North End and ate in that tiny hole-in-the-wall Italian place with the great food lighten the grief of missing you. 

And seeing you at Arisia Con and the Deryni fan dinner in Boston the one year that Katherine was guest at that con is a memory that sparkles all on its own. I see you with your head tilted toward the person who was speaking, a smile on your face and your eyes sparkling with interest and intelligence.

Every year, DarkoverCon was brightened by your presence. Your lovely costumes made you look like a fairy tale princess and you were always comfortable wearing them. You even managed to talk me into wearing some of my costumes there, which I had previously saved for other conventions that were more intimate, where I knew more people. Your wit and will made things happen more easily. You took charge amongst the grasshoppers, herding them into  getting a move on when it was needed.  And it was needed. :)  You spoke your mind forthrightly, which was needed, too, sometimes. I admired that.

All those Deryni dinners over the years at Darkover and all the times at the Rampant Lion Pub cannot be overshadowed by missing you.

As many times as we stayed up really late at cons and talked school department---only to discover that education professionals, special ed teachers or library media teachers, are the same whether we're in MA or IL --- or gossiped Deryni and came up with amazingly involved plots and plotlines  or speculated about who was doing what to whom in the Deryni world and *why*, we still managed to talk about the serious topics, as well: family, relationship, religion.  It wasn't an easy couple of years for you these past few, but you were coming shining through them, stronger than you knew and a great inspiration.

I am so glad that you joined the Order of Saint Michael, even if you were only with us for a little while.  I hope that you've found the answers to the questions you asked, the ones that we tried to explore together.  I hope... No, I *know* that things are much better for you now, but your bright smile will be much missed here on this plane, my friend.

Farewell, for a while.

blessed be, Julianne

Offline kirienne

• Knight/Dame
Greetings to All,
A few days ago, I returned from MediaWest Con, to see the post of Susan's passing. I never met her other than in Chat, but my heart aches at the loss of another of our Deryni family. My brain tells me she is now free from Asthma, and grief over the loss of her own dear parents, but my heart is having a hard time grasping it. I know she is partying with Sedina and Wrengal and Marnin, and smiling down upon us all. I just read the chat log, which was very hard to read thru tears, and I love the idea of KK including her in a book.
I have not been to chat in a long time, due  to being busy and gone on many Sundays, but I will attempt to come more regularly so I can keep in touch with all of you, whom I have never met but nonetheless, consider friends.
Rest well in your gentle slumber Susan!
Hugggles to all
Kirienne

Dennis

I just found out about Susan's passing by reading the chat log from last week.  I'm very sorry to hear of her loss.  I met her once at Arisia in 2001, I think.  My normal shyness was exacerbated by just having moved, but she made a point of being friendly toward me at Katherine's reading.

May her soul and all the souls of the departed rest in peace eternal.

Offline BalanceTheEnergies

• Knight/Dame
Re: Rest in Peace: Susan Werner, Zipper Sister, Mistress of Complications
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 03:27:56 am »
Just learned of Susan's passing tonight; haven't logged in for a while. For a change, I'm at a loss for words. My condolences to you all at this forum and to Susan's family. In Pace Requiescat
Dubito ergo sum

Offline Imladris

• Squire
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 03:09:52 am »
I, too, have just read of Susan's passing - I don't get here as often as I would like, and have yet to make it to a Con at which KK has been present. Wearing the healer's green does that to you at times - but, I have followed the chats and the old news group for the book series that has been a part of my life since before the US Bicentennial!
I will miss her enthusiasm for the books that long ago became a part of me, and her welcome that I have seen her give to new posters.
My condolences also to her family, she was taken too early.

JAA

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
    • OtherWorlders IRC Network
  • Favorite Book: Two Crowns for America
  • Favorite Character: Camber of Culdi
  • Twitter: anlarye
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »

Thank you everyone for your kind words about Susie. Her loss on us all will be felt for sometime.

I am posting a copy (apologies for the blurry scan) of Susan's memorial card from the visitation and memorial service as well as a very large "card" that some of her students made for her as well.

The text of the card (which is kinda blurry) reads:

In Loving Memory of
Susan H. Werner
Born December 3, 1966
Passed Away May 22, 2009

You are not forgotten, loved one.
Nor will you ever be.
As long as life and memory last
We will remember thee.
We miss you now.
Our hearts are sore.
As time goes by
We'll miss you more.
Your loving smile, you gentle face,
No one can fill your vacant place.

This is a picture of a "card" some of her students made for Susan's memorial. It is quit touching and even now still makes me cry when I read it.

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »

Dear Susie,

It's been a month since your passing when the Lord called you to be with Him and we are all still in shock. A day doesn't go by that I'm not secretly hoping that this was just all a bad dream and I'll have an email from you or we will be chatting again for hours on the phone with one another.

But I will thank you again here on this public forum for the years of friendship we shared and the few short months we shared at being even closer to one another. And thank you for those 2 lessons you taught me when I needed them.

I miss you, my dear unicorn. See you in that twinkling of your eye when we meet again at last.

Hugs,
Chris
<3

Offline adagiomin

• Squire
  • Whatever you do, don't look in their eyes....
    • ArtWanted.com
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 04:27:18 pm »
Have only just learned of Susan's passing--too young to have gone so soon.  My heart goes out to all who knew her.  May she rest in peace.

Diane
"Men go crazy in congregations, they only get better one by one..."

Offline Rhyselle

• Squire
  • Never enough time to read all of the books I want
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 09:11:16 am »
I have had connection issues and haven't been able to log in here for several months and I come back to find out this sad news.

Susan, I only got to meet you once or twice at Darkover Grand Council, but I always enjoyed our chats back in the Usenet group.  I know you are reunited with your beloved family now, and that you will be waiting beyond the veil to welcome each of us as our time on this earth ends and we step into the eternities.

You will be sorely missed, but I am so glad that I got to know you even a little bit during your time on this earth.  Until the day we all rejoice together in the hereafter, I will think of you and how you blessed the lives of all who knew you, online and off.

Rest in peace.

Rhyselle
When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power. -- Hugh White (1773 - 1840)

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 11:31:25 am »

Now that it's been 2 months I find the hurt still there. I recorded part of the memorial service in Chicago before my batteries in my camera died. I attempted to watch it today and was unable to do so. It just brought everything back. But for any of you who wish to see the beginning of the service. And I'm sorry I couldn't record all of it. I wanted to do so but didn't have the battery juice available.

I am posting a link here to the video. It is in .MOV format which means it will require QuickTime to play. Feel free to download the file.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/10511/In%20Memory%20of%20SHW/P1000964.MOV

Rest in Peace my dear unicorn.

<3 Chris

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness

I still deeply miss you Susie. I wrote on your Facebook wall today.
You will always be forever in my heart.

Love you

Offline snuffybear

• Squire
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »
Thinking of Susan today-it is her birthday...she would have been 46.

Marion

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 02:12:45 am »
 I miss you, Susan.  Things have been far too uncomplicated lately. And nary a secret circle to be found.  But you must have an inside line with Camber, Evaine, Rhys, Joram and Queron, and of course, Stefan Coram, himself.

Marion AKA Snuffybear,as I recall, it was YOUR birthday on Monday, also--a bond you shared with Susan. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope your daughters haven't given you another singing trout wall placque!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline snuffybear

• Squire
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »
I miss you, Susan.  Things have been far too uncomplicated lately. And nary a secret circle to be found.  But you must have an inside line with Camber, Evaine, Rhys, Joram and Queron, and of course, Stefan Coram, himself.

Marion AKA Snuffybear,as I recall, it was YOUR birthday on Monday, also--a bond you shared with Susan. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope your daughters haven't given you another singing trout wall placque!

Melissa

Melissa-you've got a good memory! Yup, Susan and I shared a birthday, just 4 years apart. So I think of her every Dec 3. (as for the singing fish, fortunately I have just two.)

Marion

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 02:47:13 pm »

Thank you both (Shiral and Snuffybear) for posting on Susie's memorial.

It's been 3 years. I still think of her often. Her smile. I listen to the 1 recording I have of her, a voicemail she left me just a few days prior to her death. I miss her. Words really cannot express how much I miss her. How much she means to me then and now. And just how different my life has been because she was in it.

I love you Susie. I miss you Susie. See you in that twinkling of an eye when I reach the otherside someday.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Registration and PM frustrations by Bynw
[Today at 02:42:38 pm]

Re: Registration and PM frustrations by Laurna
[Today at 01:59:16 pm]

Registration and PM frustrations by Bifph
[Today at 01:26:42 pm]

Ghosts of the Past by Bynw
[Today at 09:26:09 am]

Re: Evie's daughter's mystery allergy by judywward
[Today at 08:23:15 am]

* Who's Online