collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Rest in Peace: Susan Werner, Zipper Sister, Mistress of Complications  (Read 20441 times)

Offline Lbarms

• Squire
I met Susan once on my way through Chicago.  It was for a very brief time as we went to dinner with her friend but she was exactly as she was on line; Smiling and happy.  I will miss teasing her about my love for Morgan.  I just hope she is not taking advantage of the fact that she is there before me.  Good luck with Richenda, Susan.  You will be missed.  Laura

Offline hygilac

• Squire
We will miss you, Susan.  The world is a less cheerful and bright place without you.  You have touched and enriched so many lives that it is hard to estimate just how much you will be missed. 

Offline the Bee

• Squire
Susan, I'm sorry I'll never get to know you better.  Rest in peace.

Offline TheDeryni

• Membership Team Leader
  • Administrator
  • Squire
Remembered Joy

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free!
I follow the plan God laid for me.
I saw His face, I heard His call,
I took His hand and left it all...
I could not stay another day,
To love, to laugh, to work or play;
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
And if my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss...
Ah yes, these things I, too, shall miss.
My life's been full, I've savoured much:
Good times, good friends, a loved-one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief—
Don't shorten yours with undue grief.
Be not burdened with tears of sorrow,
Enjoy the sunshine of the morrow.
Once you think you understand women.....you will find you understand nothing about women.

Offline JulianneTK

• Squire
For those of you who knew Susan, I would respectfully suggest leaving a note in the online GuestBook. Here's the URL:
http://www.legacy.com/chicagotribune/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=127581232

As soon as I can get my brain out of shock and into gear, I intend to do so. I can't even manage the sharing of good memories right now.  :( 

You can also send a card to the funeral home and they will make sure her family gets it.

The address is:
Barr Funeral Home
6222 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60660
Attn: Tim Harrington

blessed be, Julianne

Offline tenworld

• Baron/Baroness
Good bye Susan

I only knew you by email never in person, but the that was apropos for a member of the secret inner circle.  But perhaps you are still working in that circle.

Rest in peace

Offline RainbowDragon

• Baron/Baroness
My condolences may she rest in peace.

RainbowDragon

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
    • OtherWorlders IRC Network
  • Favorite Book: Two Crowns for America
  • Favorite Character: Camber of Culdi
  • Twitter: anlarye
I think it was very nice of Father Michael Tesmacher and Rev. Maura Bernard of the Prince of Peace Independent Catholic Community in Long Island said a prayer for Susan at their evening Mass around 8:16 PM ET and had coordinated with us in the chat to have a moment of prayer and silence at the same moment (the timestamps in the chat are US central so minus an hour).

Many thanks of that joyous moment when we, her friends and various loved ones within the chat, bowed our heads and gave our own prayers to God for Susan touching our lives. And of course to the various chatters who offered up their own group prayers in chat.

Words cannot express the loss that I personally feel with Susie's untimely passing. She is greatly missed already.

I know for you, our time apart now will only last a twinkling of a eye. Then we will be together again and I will get to give you that hug in person. Something I will look forward to with great joy. Until then my dear Susie. God speed and I will carry on your memory with smile. You are forever in my heart.

Offline Olympia

• Squire
I was utterly stunned when I heard the news. Bynw and I had just been talking about Susan's efforts on behalf of a cancer charity run and then, two days later, she was gone.

She had so much thrown at her in life, especially the past two years, and she handled it with loving kindness, patience, and great bravery.

I will hold the memory of her in her deep blue gown with her tiara sparkling on her head. That part of her, like an eternal heroine in the face of sorrow, shines as brightly as any angel with wings. I sincerely hope that Susan is finally enjoying the rewards she has earned by never losing hope.

With great sorrow,

Nancy

Offline jojo

• Squire
  • Favorite Book: Last one read
  • Favorite Character: Alyse
So bright a talent; so short a life.
I did not know her outside of her role as a zipper sister, but her creativity and dedication came through clearly.
Now she is a star and inspiration for always, and missed by all of the fans of the Deryni universe.

I was praying for her and her family during the online last night; I was caring for my Mom who has the flu (not swine)
After reading the transcript, I feel closer to everyone in the group.
 :'(

Offline Elkhound

• Prince/Princess
  • Favorite Book: The King's Justice
  • Favorite Character: Denis Arilan
Wis. 3:1-5:

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died, and their departure was thought to be a disaster, and their going from us to be their destruction;but they are at peace.

For though in the sight of others they were punished, their hope is full of immortality. Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good, because God tested them and found them worthy of himself.

Offline Elkhound

• Prince/Princess
The Very Rev. John Donne, 1572-1631; Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral, London:

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee   
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,   
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,   
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.   
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,            
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,   
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,   
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.   
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,   
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,    
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,   
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;   
One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,   
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.   

Offline Kelos_al-Hazar

• Squire
  • Online Junkies . . . Unite!
Susan will always be missed, 'tis true. But let us, please, celebrate her life, and not mourn (overmuch) her death, for most who knew her know she would not want that.

This whole thing has me rocked. From November 2006 to the present, I've lost numerous friends (and on 7 May 2007, my Dad) and it's hard to find words adequate to the task.

My sincerest condolences to her family, and with permission and assistance, I may create a character that resembles Susan for one of my novels. It's hard to say at this moment, though. I don't typically use people (living or dead) as inspiration for my novels' characters. The not-yet-born? Perhaps that's an exception. Or is it? :P

Offline Elkhound

• Prince/Princess
. I don't typically use people (living or dead) as inspiration for my novels' characters.

Of course you do.  You may mix-and-match traits from this or that person, but if your characters are real people, rather than marionettes that jiggle and sing on a cramped little stage, they have to be to a greater or lesser extent based on real people.

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
    • OtherWorlders IRC Network
  • Favorite Book: Two Crowns for America
  • Favorite Character: Camber of Culdi
  • Twitter: anlarye

It was a great service for Susan on Tuesday. It was conducted by lay minister from a nearby Roman Catholic church. It was the same person that helped Susan out when her parents were very ill. I took an instant liking to her. She was named Susan as well.

During the service she asked if anyone wanted to come up and say anything at all. Share a memory or story and things like that. Both of Susan's "adoptive aunts" read off some revised Bible verses. They also read a statement from Susan's surviving aunt. Then her floor principle read off a bit of a tribute to her as well. One of Susan's cousins came up and said that most things have already been said so she just said a few words as well. Echoing statements that had alread been made. I had with me all the poems everyone submitted here on Rhemuthcastle.com and was flipping through them to find the one that was most appropriate. I got up and read off that poem Katherine left by Canon Henry Scott-Holland.

Her cousin met me half way walking back to my seat to give me a hug. She sensed how much Susan meant to me and we had a bit of a chat during the tail end of the service.

All in all the service was great. I cried a lot of course. Heck I'm getting kinda misty eyed even now as I write this up to tell everyone about it. Just wanted to let you all know how it went.

And since Susie was a Michaeline, when I got there I quietly called the Quarter Archangels to watch over the visitation and service.

I miss her very much, words cannot really describe how much I miss her. She will forever be a part of me.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[Today at 10:34:42 am]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by DerynifanK
[Today at 06:29:17 am]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by judywward
[November 17, 2017, 10:55:59 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[November 17, 2017, 09:58:24 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Shiral
[November 17, 2017, 07:49:06 pm]

* Who's Online