• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 363
Total: 363
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crossovers

Started by Elkhound, May 05, 2009, 01:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Have any fanfic authors done crossovers?  There are two that I have played with but can't quite make gel; I'm offering them up in case they appeal to a better writer than me.

1. Deryni/Harry Potter.  The wizards are the modern-day descendants of the Deryni.
2. Deryni/The Sentinel.  Moving Jim, Blair, and all into the Eleven Kingdoms.  Sentinels are human; Guides are Deryni.

JulianneTK

I've seen Deryni/Darkover crossovers in Deryni Archives the Zine. 

thistlethorne

I saw a Harry Potter/Deryni cross over on ff.net.  Here's the link: Harry Potter and the Deryni Legendhttp://tinyurl.com/c3lsxv
I believe cats to be spirit come to earth.
 A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud
   without coming through.
                   --Jules Verne

Elkhound

Quote from: thistlethorne on May 06, 2009, 09:25:35 PM
I saw a Harry Potter/Deryni cross over on ff.net.  Here's the link: Harry Potter and the Deryni Legendhttp://tinyurl.com/c3lsxv

Long on exposition; very little plot.  I presume that the author will add more parts in which there is actual development.

derynifanatic64

How about a crossover between Gwynedd and Midkemia (written by Raymond Feist)?  The Camberian Council joins forces with the Conclave of Shadows.  2 groups using magic/sorcery for good to combat evil.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

I can see that.

What about Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar universe?

the Bee

Quote from: Elkhound on May 20, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
I can see that.

Would you need her permission, and would she give it?

Elkhound

I am not an attorney, but my understanding of copyright law is that as long as you did not publish it for gain, that is if you just circulated it privately among your friends and fellow fans and did not accept payment for it, then it would come under 'fair use' and/or 'the parody exception.' 

When I get back to the law library on Tuesday, I will research the matter a little more.

Elkhound

Here are the articles I was able to find that were on point:

• 17 Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Journal 651  Rebecca Tushnet LEGAL FICTIONS: COPYRIGHT, FAN FICTION, AND A NEW COMMON LAW (1997)
    9 Boston University Journal of Science & Technology Law 433 Meredith McCardle FAN FICTION, FANDOM, AND FANFARE: WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS? (2003)
    58 Southern Methodist University Law Review 1551 Leanne Stendell FANFIC AND FAN FACT: HOW CURRENT COPYRIGHT LAW IGNORES THE REALITY OF COPYRIGHT OWNER AND CONSUMER INTERESTS IN FAN FICTION (2005)
    14 American University Journal on Gender Social Policy & Law 461 Sonia K. Katyal PERFORMANCE, PROPERTY, AND THE SLASHING OF GENDER IN FAN FICTION (2006)
    8 Vanderbuilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law 421 Christina Z. Ranon HONOR AMONG THIEVES: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT IN INTERNET FANDOM (2006)
    15 American University Journal on Gender Social Policy & Law 273 Rebecca Tushnet MY FAIR LADIES: SEX, GENDER, AND FAIR USE IN COPYRIGHT (2007)
    70-SPG Law & Contemporary Problems 135 Rebecca Tushnet PAYMENT IN CREDIT: COPYRIGHT LAW AND SUBCULTURAL CREATIVITY (2007)
    95 California Law Review 597 Anupam Chander & Madhavi Sunder EVERYONE'S A SUPERHERO: A CULTURAL THEORY OF "MARY SUE" FAN FICTION AS FAIR USE (2007)
    10 Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law 729 EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED FROM FANDOM: HOW EXISTING SOCIAL NORMS CAN HELP SHAPE THE NEXT GENERATION OF USER-GENERATED CONTENT Casey Fiesler (2008)
There is little case law on the matter, as most time when there have been lawsuits, or threats of lawsuits, the matter has been settled out of court.  However, many of these authors suggest that, so long as the fanfiction writer does not publish commercially, that the use of the characters, situations, and general background in such derivative works comes within either 'fair use' or the 'parody exception' doctrines in intellectual property law.

As an obligatory disclaimer, I am not an attorney and this should not be viewed as a substitute for advice from properly-qualified legal counsel.

Elkhound

Quote from: the Bee on May 24, 2009, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on May 20, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
I can see that.

Would you need her permission, and would she give it?

From Misty's site: http://mercedeslackey.com/news.html

Shiral

For a lark, I once wrote a Deryni/Star Trek crossover. Yes, that probably means I had too much time on my hands. Kelson and Dhugal  accidentally get beamed up to the Enterprise which is researching this planet with the medieval level of technology... They meet Captain Kirk and Spock. Worked well.... up to a point.  Then it was a minefield of plot holes.  But it was fun while it lasted.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

dragonmage

Back maybe 20 or so years ago, I followed a fanzine named Shadowstar. It was probably best known for publishing the work of an unknown fan writer named Misty Lackey (now pro writer Mercedes Lackey) but I also liked it for the Star Wars fanfic by the editor, Mary-Jean Holmes. One of her most interesting pieces was a crossover story where Luke tries to make a Force-assisted hyperspace jump and winds up far too close to an unknown planet and makes an emergency landing. In the course of the story, he meets Derry and Morgan and helps Morgan handle a plot against Kelson. The most memorably part of the story, to me, was Morgan scanned Luke and discovered that despite the dire situation of the Deryni, the fate of the Jedi and Luke's situation as the sole remaining Jedi is even more dire.

Elkhound

Quote from: Shiral on August 26, 2009, 09:17:54 PM
For a lark, I once wrote a Deryni/Star Trek crossover. Yes, that probably means I had too much time on my hands. Kelson and Dhugal  accidentally get beamed up to the Enterprise which is researching this planet with the medieval level of technology... They meet Captain Kirk and Spock. Worked well.... up to a point.  Then it was a minefield of plot holes.  But it was fun while it lasted.

Melissa

Perhaps you could dust this off and, given your greater literary knowledge and experience, work it up into something actually readable?

Elkhound

Quote from: dragonmage on December 03, 2009, 10:34:35 AM
Back maybe 20 or so years ago, I followed a fanzine named Shadowstar. It was probably best known for publishing the work of an unknown fan writer named Misty Lackey (now pro writer Mercedes Lackey) but I also liked it for the Star Wars fanfic by the editor, Mary-Jean Holmes. One of her most interesting pieces was a crossover story where Luke tries to make a Force-assisted hyperspace jump and winds up far too close to an unknown planet and makes an emergency landing. In the course of the story, he meets Derry and Morgan and helps Morgan handle a plot against Kelson. The most memorably part of the story, to me, was Morgan scanned Luke and discovered that despite the dire situation of the Deryni, the fate of the Jedi and Luke's situation as the sole remaining Jedi is even more dire.

I would love to read this.

tenworld

I wondered when a Star Wars/Deryni crossover would appear.  I have always thought that there are so many commonalities between Jedi and Deryni that there was a real connection.  In fanfic world that means Jedis are the future Morgan/Duncan/Keldons (where Yoda came from is a different animal).  In real world I have always thought Lucas was an early reader of KK- the timing is about right - but maybe they both drew from the same sources?