• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 93
Total: 94
DesertRose
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

DeryniCon Mailing List

Started by Samuel, July 15, 2007, 06:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel

A little bit of good news on the con front!

In order to help with communications, we have set up a mailing list in Yahoo Groups.  The direct link is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DeryniCon

Or, you can log onto yahoo groups and search for the group DeryniCon.

In a few days, one of the organizers will post a message outlining the reasons why we have chosen Holliday Inn Harrisburg West as the location of the convention.

Hopefully, I'll see you on the list!
Samuel

Shiral

Ummm.... any new Con news?

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

JediMatt1000

I followed the link to the Yahoo Group above and got an error message saying "that group that does not exist." Is DeryniCon still being talked about?
"Be the change you wish to see."

Bynw

It hasn't been in a long time since the last post in this thread was from 2007 (12 years ago). The biggest obstacles at the time for any DeryniCon was that Katherine lived in Ireland (at the time) and there was always Darkover Con that was already a kind of DeryniCon.

Now with Katherine in the US and Darkover in the history books. Maybe there is a chance to resurrect the idea

But yes the yahoo! group is long gone.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

the Bee

:-\ It's worth talking about, but we can't really do it during the pandemic.  We need much better planning than last time.

JediMatt1000

Any chance of there being a Darkover Con in Phoenix? I know cons anymore are all dependent upon the status of covid; would love for KK to pay her fans here in AZ a visit if at all possible!
"Be the change you wish to see."

Liesel

Read this topic and I'm curious -- what is the connection between Darkover and Deryni?

Bynw

First of all this is a very ancient thread that got resurrected after being dormant for more than a decade. So don't expect too much from it. But we can still kick it around and run it up the flag pole to see who salutes it.

As for the connection between Deryni and Darkover. It was the Darkover Con that used to be held in Maryland every Thanksgiving weekend. Our beloved Katherine was a permanent guest to Darkover. Why? I don't have the answer to that. It was just a thing. So she and Scott made the trek from Ireland every year to the States for it.

The founders of that con passed away. And the con shifted hands and became something new. The permanent guest status for Katherine, even though she was back in the States by then, wasn't a thing any more.

Samuel, a past member of our community, thought up the idea of having a DeryniCon. But it never got out of the thought process.

Running a full blown Convention is time consuming, costly, and a big headache. It's open for anyone who wants to try it.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Liesel

Thanks. 
I was mighty curious, as the Deryni series and the Darkover series have been major favorites of mine (including many many rereadings of both) since I was quite young.  Fascinating to see them mentioned together!

DoctorM

I hadn't thought about Darkover in a long, long time, although back in the Long Ago I did enjoy the books a lot. However, given the scandal around Marion Zimmer Bradley and her husband, I don't think a Darkover Con would be politically possible these days.