• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Puns in the Codex

Started by Aquinas, April 22, 2009, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquinas

The writers of the Codex have slipped in some puns...

When visiting Rum you can visit not Lake Como but Lake Perrycomo (http://www.answers.com/topic/perry-como) walk along the Pia Zadora (http://www.answers.com/topic/pia-zadora) and eat at the Great Kitchens of Coquus Boiardius (http://www.answers.com/topic/chef-boyardee).

This is all in one entry has anyone found any others?

Elkhound

Look up Kale, Lord of Pemberly.

Laurna

Elkhound!
That just made my day!
ROFL  Thank you.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Speaking of Pemberly, I've wondered how one would write "Pride & Prejudice" in the Deryniverse.

The Bennetts would, probably, be an old Deryni family who had held onto enough land somehow to be considered gentry.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.   Would Darcy have some latent Deryni strain from some generations back that he was trying to suppress, which would explain why he acted all the time like he had a stick up his a@@?  (Sort of like Jehenna.)  What about Collins?  We can't make him a clergyman, as they can't marry in the Deryniverse; a lawyer or scholar of some sort? 

Aerlys

A Deryni/Pride and Prejudice crossover?  I suppose it'd be less bloody than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.. Maybe.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

Quote from: Aerlys on November 18, 2014, 02:08:39 PM
A Deryni/Pride and Prejudice crossover?  I suppose it'd be less bloody than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.. Maybe.

Or what about "Emma" in the Deryniverse?  I can imagine a Deryni!Emma using her powers to manipulate her. . .erm. . .patients; which would make Knightly's rebukes all the more serious.

Shiral

Also, look up Rathold Lord D'or Alaric Morgan's wardrober  in Coroth who intermarried with Danna, Lady Corin and his daughter married William, Lord of Blass...
And yes, Robert Reginald was a great appreciator of puns....I know this from personal acquaintance. He also thought up some of the craziest causes of death. "The Musty Mewls" being one of my favorites.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

Quotecauses of death. "The Musty Mewls" being one of my favorites.
I am afraid to ask what a Musty Mewl is. Some sort of poisonous vapors?

NavaWazr

Perhaps Musty Mewls are a respiratory condition where the lungs become musty and the throat shrinks and the patient can only mewl like a kitten and only swallow liquids like a kitten? Or it is caused by spending too much time in musty rooms, where the reeds have not been changed in years?
I realized that I wanted to be Deryni, would have loved to be another niece of Uncle Azim, perhaps living on a Fianna vineyard.... but I'm a never wazzer

Laurna

Varnar of Bassetdale, Saint
The patron saint of Deryni learning and healing and of the hounds of the hunt...
An image of Saint Varnar rising from the ground while surrounded by a pack of baying hounds was en-tiled into a superb mosaic by the Deryni master Vael son of Amiel... in the Church of Saint Varnar in Sestos.

I am wondering if KK's dogs had anything to do this.  I am envisioning KK's bassets baying at their megister, the great Deryni Healer of Grecotha. 

Nezz

While doing some research today, Evie, Laurna, and I came across some indication that perhaps Duke Angus of Claibourne had a slight tobacco addiction (if one could be had in Gwynedd in the 1100s), based on the names he gave his children:

• Lord Sigardh (cigar)
• Lady Sigarette (cigarette)
• Lady Tiparilla (tiparillo)

DoctorM

Ha! I love it!

Quote from: Nezz on February 04, 2022, 07:43:25 PM
While doing some research today, Evie, Laurna, and I came across some indication that perhaps Duke Angus of Claibourne had a slight tobacco addiction (if one could be had in Gwynedd in the 1100s), based on the names he gave his children:

• Lord Sigardh (cigar)
• Lady Sigarette (cigarette)
• Lady Tiparilla (tiparillo)

DerynifanK

Love those names. Still chuckling
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

Just came across this one and can not stop laughing.
Matyas Imre Furstan, King of Torenth (748-808)  had many daughters. One of his daughters is Princess Kypriana and she marries Kermit Count von Frughy
(Unless I am totally missing the mark, she married Kermit the Frog)
One of his other daughters became Sister Stanislawa of the Venerable Virgins of Vezaire.

Shiral

Quote from: Laurna on October 15, 2022, 10:02:19 PMJust came across this one and can not stop laughing.
Matyas Imre Furstan, King of Torenth (748-808)  had many daughters. One of his daughters is Princess Kypriana and she marries Kermit Count von Frughy
(Unless I am totally missing the mark, she married Kermit the Frog)
One of his other daughters became Sister Stanislawa of the Venerable Virgins of Vezaire.

The marriage ran into problems because of Count Kermit's absent-minded way of catching flies with his tongue during banquets...
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!