• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Stories we'd like to see

Started by Aquinas, April 15, 2009, 06:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquinas

What other stories would you like to see in the world of the XII Kingdoms?

I'd love to see a trilogy based on the life of Queen Michaela perhaps "Queen Regent", "Queen Mother" and another one following the same pattern that I can't think of. These would cover the transition from the era of the "bad Regents" through to near the end of the first millenium.

A book of short stories each one set about a century after the other starting just after the events of KKB would be great too.
Stories could cover:

The rise of a Parliament of Nobles.

The rise of technology (possibly supported by human nobles as a balance to Deryni powers) this might lead to political parties of the aristocracy with mostly human technocrats with the support of an industrial merchant class on the one hand and a traditional aristocratic party supporting landowners on the other.

The inclusion of the merchantile class in politics.

The rise of the industrial working class.

Establishment of a constitutional monarchy.

Possibly the rise of humanism although the existance of real magic might predispose against that.

The Camberian Council meeting by video conference!

Visions of the XII Kingdoms in the 20th/21st Century

These would all result in various degrees of conflict. XII Kingdoms versions of Simon de Montfort, Oliver Cromwell, Robespierre, James Hargreaves etc.

Any thoughts?

Elkhound

I've said before that I'd like to see that universe's version of the Age of Exploration, the Renaissance, and the Reformation.  Although there wasn't a papacy to rebel against, parts of the church were corrupt enough.  (One thing, though, KK seems to have made even the worst of her clerics keep to their vows of celibacy, which was not the same as in our primary world; there doesn't seem to have been too much simony, either.)

tenworld

about wat would happen several hundred years afterKelson, I think the deryni factor would impede technological progress in 2 possible ways:

1) there would be a cycle of Deryni rising and Deryni bashing that would make acceptance of new ideas like astronomy and medicine harder since there would be a stonger pattern of quashing them as black magic. 

or

2) a benevolent society would develop that is primarily Deryni, agrarian, peaceful without the drive for new technology (like the early Star Trek episode where the Klingon-human war was stopped by the elders).

DesertRose

KK will never live long enough to write all the stories we'd like to see. :D

I'd like to see at least one more Kelson story, to tie up the Teymuraz angle.

I'm dying to know more about Orin and Jodotha, which she has said she wants to write.

I'd also like to see an Eleven Kingdoms Renaissance/Reformation time frame.  I've been on a real-world Renaissance kick of late, reading biographies of Elizabeth I (of England) and Mary Queen of Scots.

I'm not so sure about a 20th/21st Century Gwynedd though; part of the fun, for me, is the historical atmosphere.  That's just me though; I'm sure if KK wrote a 21st C. Gwynedd story, I'd read it. :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

I've read some fanfic set in the XX/XXIst C., and they really don't feel right for some reason.  I can't really see this alternate world later than the XVIIIth C., really; that's where I think that a world where magic works would diverge too much from our own.

I've toyed with the idea of a Dernyi/Harry Potter crossover in which the Wizards of HP are the descendants of the Dernyi.

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on April 15, 2009, 08:17:28 PM

Will she do what Anne McK did and designate a successor?

tenworld

"I've toyed with the idea of a Dernyi/Harry Potter crossover in which the Wizards of HP are the descendants of the Dernyi."

Harry Potter is a children's fairy tale that while quite enjoyable and quite dark at the end is not intended to be serious (clue: chocolate cures)

the Deryni world is a serious in depth view of an alternate history that is also quite enjoyable,

The only thing in common is the use of magic and the good vs evil theme.

But if you wrote it I would read it

Bynw

The solution to that of course is to WRITE IT YOURSELF.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on May 30, 2009, 04:24:56 PM

But if you wrote it I would read it

Unfortunately, I can't quite get past the Exposition stage, although I have come up with a scene in Lambeth Palace called "The Other Bishop," based on the canon scene "The Other Minister", in which  Lord Cary gets a visit from the Wizardling Bishop.

DesertRose

Quote from: Bynw on May 30, 2009, 05:15:13 PM

The solution to that of course is to WRITE IT YOURSELF.

I suppose I could.  The problem is, I'd feel like I was stepping on toes, because I would try to write things that KK herself might still write.  (Yes, I know, KK not only does not mind but actively encourages fanfiction; I'd still feel like I was out of my place.)  With my one venture into Harry Potter fanfiction, I wrote something J. K. Rowling would NEVER write (at least not in the HP universe).
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

thistlethorne

Please do write.  I know that the one story that I wrote in KK's universe was actually helped along by Katherine.  It was one of the first things I ever wrote and before I even started, I wrote Katherine to ask her if (1) my idea was okay and (2) would she mind if I wrote it.  Her response was a (1) yes and (2) WRITE IT!  She helped with the editing and made my story (which was actually a missing scene from QSC) all that much better.  In fact, I still have a copy of my story with her red marks all over it.  She gave me the encouragement I needed and I hope that my little story will encourage you to write.
I believe cats to be spirit come to earth.
 A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud
   without coming through.
                   --Jules Verne

Elkhound

I agree.  Consider how many of Shakespeare's plays were reworkings of older materials.  Going even further back, Aeschelus, Sophocles, and Euripides didn't make up the stories--they took the stories from Homer and Hesiod and reworked them.  It is only in our modern times, with the introduction of copyright and trademark, that people have become afraid to play in other peoples' sandboxes.

Elkhound

What effect would a demonstrably working system of magic have on the development of science and technology?

One fictional example we have is Randall Garrett's "Lord Darcy" universe.

Aquinas

Quote from: Elkhound on June 15, 2009, 11:31:23 PM
What effect would a demonstrably working system of magic have on the development of science and technology?

I think that as magic is tied (in the most part) to race that you would either see and oppression of technology to sustain the power of a magic using ruling class or a rise of technology supported by a human nobility (either in opposition or cooperation with magic; or more probably swinging between these extremes).

I the latter case this would, I believe, bring about a rise in the middle classes leading to the establishment of some form of shared power between the nobility and the technocrats (like England in the Industrial Revolution) and possibly from this the rise of political parties.

Parliament could divide between the party of the Church and the "magical" nobility and the party of the Industrial magnates and the "non magical" nobility; at some point after that there would be the rise of a party supporting the Industrial Workers (and also possibly the dispossed agricultural workers who have lost their jobs due to the rise in mechanisation although I suspect they would tend to the Church/magic party).

So Kelson XVI Haldane in 2009 could have a Parliament where the "Lords" are divided between the industrialists and the pro magic factions and the "Burgers/Commons" divided between the Industrial Workers, the Industrial Magnates, and the dispossessed agricultural workers...
lucky him!!

Elkhound

Quote from: Aquinas on June 16, 2009, 11:47:12 AM

So Kelson XVI Haldane in 2009 could have a Parliament where the "Lords" are divided between the industrialists and the pro magic factions and the "Burgers/Commons" divided between the Industrial Workers, the Industrial Magnates, and the dispossessed agricultural workers...
lucky him!!

This sounds really interesting.  Especially if you combine it with that world's "age of discovery"---would Gwynned have an overseas empire like many of the European countries did?  In the times we have read about they haven't been exactly a naval power.