• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:05:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Alaric's Morgan Relatives

Started by Elkhound, March 25, 2009, 03:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

In "Childe Morgan" he seemed to have a lot of them, but they aren't mentioned in the Deryni or Kelson books much, if at all.  Surely they aren't all dead?

derynifanatic64

I'm sure some of Alaric's relatives are still alive.  Since the Deryni/Kelson books were written first, KK didn't mention them beyond Duncan, Kevin, Jared, and Bronwyn.  That's why the latest books were written so we could learn more about Alaric, his family, and hopefully soon his friendship with Brion.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

That's one explanation. 

Another is that KK will come up with some catastrophe that wiped out Clan Morgan.

Braniana

Seems that Vera and Jared were involved in the children's upbringing, based on Bronwyn living with them.  And wasn't Alaric sent to court after Kenneth's death?  Might just be that the family wasn't very involved in Alaric's and Bronwyn's lives after they were orphaned.

BalanceTheEnergies

On his father's side, there are half-sisters from Kenneth's first marriage (Zoe is in In the King's Service, and the others are named), but as girls they likely either married or took the veil. I think they're also human, so they might escape notice, storywise. I seem to recall Kenneth mourning the fact that his other sons were either stillborn or died in infancy. What I cannot recall offhand is whether Zoe remarried after losing Ahern to the peritonitis.

Vera and Alyce were keeping their true relationship a secret, but it is noted in the Codex that Vera provided what magical education Alaric, Bronwyn and Duncan received, at least so long as they lived in the McLain household--I cannot recall if Alyce specifically asked Vera to do this when she was dying, or if she and Vera discussed such a contingency when Alyce was preganant with Bronwyn. Also, Jared being Duke of Cassan after his father, he would have a suitable household for the young Duke of Corwyn to learn something of his future role as a temporal ruler. Add to that Kenneth's own duties for the king, and it becomes easy to see why Alaric didn't spend much time with the Morgan side of the family.
Dubito ergo sum

DesertRose

To add to what BalanceTheEnergies said, I don't think Kenneth outlived Alyce by too many years, either, so that may be another reason that Alaric didn't spend much time with his Morgan family.  If Alaric and Bronwyn were already staying with Vera and Jared when Kenneth died, leaving them there may have been a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That being said, I would like to know what happened to Geill and Alazais and especially Zoe, since we actually got to know Zoe a bit.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

Quote from: DesertRose on April 03, 2009, 09:23:43 AM
To add to what BalanceTheEnergies said, I don't think Kenneth outlived Alyce by too many years, either, so that may be another reason that Alaric didn't spend much time with his Morgan family.  If Alaric and Bronwyn were already staying with Vera and Jared when Kenneth died, leaving them there may have been a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That being said, I would like to know what happened to Geill and Alazais and especially Zoe, since we actually got to know Zoe a bit.

How soon we forget.  :) Zoe  married Jovett Chandos in Childe Morgan.  She and Jovett had a son named Kailan Peter Chandos who's about three years younger than Alaric Morgan.

According to chapter three of  CM, Geill Morgan married a knight in Duke Jared's service around 1092. As CM ends Alazais was at the convent Arc en Ciel, but we'll have to wait to find out more.

I too wonder if Jovett and Zoe have been minding Alaric's holdings in Lendour all this time, and just haven't had a reason to come into the earlier stories. By this time, maybe their son is minding things as regent in Lendour.  I really hope no nasty archbishops found out Jovett was Deryni and forced him to either flee or had him killed.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

BalanceTheEnergies

QuoteHow soon we forget.

'Fraid so. I loaned nearly all of my KK books (and a number of others) and did not get them back. ) I think I have ITKS somewhere...) Also, I have yet to buy CM or the Codex, so I have to borrow from the library when I want to reread.  :-\  I've put editions (preferably hardbound) of all the Deryni books on my Amazon wish list, but on my paltry income, the list is likely to remain wishful thinking.

To continue Shiral's thought about Zoe and Jovett, they may also have had some work to do administering Jovett's lands (if any), and I have no doubt King Donal advised Prince Brion to avail himself of Jovett's talents, much as Donal seemingly had plans for Se until Marie's death prompted him to his path with the Anvillers. Of course, any number of things could complicate their lives, especially with people like the de Nores about.
Dubito ergo sum

morgan

I've just started to read this book and I see, too, that Morgan seems to have 3 older half-sister (plus other dead), but in the Codex there isn't any trace of them.
Is it possible that this 3, that seem to love their brother, haven't any part in the other books?

Elkhound

That's why I suspect that there will be some sort of catastrophe that will wipe out the rest of the family.   A plague?  A fire?

Braniana

I could be wrong, but wasn't there talk of another Codex edition, once the CM trilogy was done, to add that genealogical/event information?

Elkhound

That's certainly possible.  Is KK going to close the Deryni universe after CM is complete?  I've not invested in a copy of the Codex because I don't want to have to go out and buy a new one a few years down the line when the old one is superceded.

Braniana

I think she has more stories she wants to tell.  Orin/Jodotha, a book in 948, who know.

Elkhound

Quote from: Braniana on June 26, 2009, 12:00:24 AM
I think she has more stories she wants to tell.  Orin/Jodotha, a book in 948, who know.

I hope so.  There are so many stories TO tell, considering all the loose ends she's left.

Elkhound

I just finished KD, and it seems that you can't go three steps without tripping over some relative of Alaric's.  From the Kelson books, I was under the impression that Alaric was, aside from Duncan and Bronwyn, all alone in the world.