• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 209
Total: 209
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Square Braiding?

Started by vajewa, February 18, 2009, 03:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on April 30, 2018, 06:03:46 PM
I just ran across this topic. Which got me curious enough to look it up on the web. I found this cool tutorial. 

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/hairstyles/time/10-15mins/box-fishtail-braid/
Has anyone tried this braiding style?

I have not.  I'm not generally a fan of fishtail braids (I just don't like the way they look), so I've never learned to do them.  (I still have long hair, but it's waist-length these days, quite a bit shorter than it was when I said [in 2009] that I could sit on it.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

LeDuc

My late grandmother, part Scots, often braided her hair into a 4-ply braid. It was either square of a lozenge of, hair brushed back and hanging from the back of the head, then with parts 1 and 3, then cross that with parts 2 and 4.
She told me it honored the the four seasons, the four compass points and the 4 archangels.

This is the Square braid...........then repeat until completed. {||, = or \ and / indicate the 'crossing of the weave'}
2||3

2=3
----------------------------
This is the Lozenge braid........the repeat until completed.
   1                        2
     \      then         / 
       4                 3

Good Luck.

LeDuc

HoundMistress

Somebody would have to do it for me. Can't braid behind my head. Now I can braid other people's hair all day long.
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

DesertRose

Fiddled with both of @LeDuc 's diagrams, and I'll try again another day when I'm less tired than today, because I think I was getting the hang of the lozenge type.  The square one I think I might need to sit in front of my mirror to do well.  Sitting at my computer desk, I can't see what I'm doing, LOL.

If I figure it out, I'll post pics.   8)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

FYI

I noticed on page 1 of this thread the post I made that showed my d'gula from my first marriage had a broken link. That has been fixed and now the image is simply attached to that post if anyone goes back to it.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Avisa

Fwiw, when I braid challah I do a 4 stranded braid that has a fairly square, ropelike shape to it, and it's really simple. Under two, over one is the basic instruction - you cross the outside strand under the middle two, then back over one of them, then do the same from the opposite side, and so on. I've done it on hair, and it has the same effect.

Here's a link to a challah picture on my Instagram, if that gives you any idea what I mean! https://www.instagram.com/p/BNhnIzjlrGU/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

Laurna

Haha,  that just made me hungry.

May your horses have wings and fly!