• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130
Sogou
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Deryni Rising

Started by Rex_Kelsonus (RIP), July 04, 2007, 10:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derynifanatic64

Possibly.  And I would not have said anything before Nigel found out that Conalline was his granddaughter and her place at court was secured.  I would have at least reminded Arilan what he said to Morgan and Duncan.  The fact that Arilan would even hurt an innocent unborn child (who had no choice who her father was) and her mother (who Conall used his powers to seduce her) has never sat well with me.  Arilan just needs to be more open-minded towards humans while always keeping one eye open to any potential threats.  I know that he has done much to improve the status of Deryni.  He has been able to ordain Deryni as priests, like John Nivard who has helped Jehana appreciate her powers again.   
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Mak

Well, yes, except that no one, not even an unborn child who might possibly have posed a threat to the throne and successsion, was considered truly innocent in those days.  I don't think Denis would have actually done anything if it did not become absolutely necessary and there was real evidence that Conaline would be used to cause an internal power struggle. 

Ah, well, I realize it's something of a lost cause.  Tho I have been able in the past to bring a few around to liking Denis a bit more, and converted one or two to a fan.  In general, I am content with my position as VP of the DAFC, and to sit back here and mock Morgan (in good fun), just to get a rise out of the Morganites.  :D
-Mak

morgan

I confess, I don't like Arilan very much; maybe for his ostinatin to keep secret his Deryni identity or, more probably, for his behaviour with Morgan. He's often give the impression to try to...control or critics his action.
Especially in "The quest for S.Camber" (that I'm reading now) where, after the discussion with Duncan about his choice to reveal his identity, he tells Morgan that hope he has never to do with his cousin choice... ;)

derynifanatic64

During his dressing down of Duncan about not telling him in advance about he and Dhugal announcing to everyone they were Deryni, Arilan mentioned his late friend Jorian.  Jorian was exposed as Deryni at his ordination and burned at the stake.  While he was burning, Arilan and everyone there were silenced when a "boyish" voice yelled out "Thou art a priest forever".  Morgan revealed that he was at Jorian's execution when he was page to Brion.  It is my belief that it was Morgan who yelled out "Thou art a priest forever".  If I'm right and Morgan reveals this to Arilan, maybe their relationship might change for the better.

Elkhound

I would think that seeing your friend burned at the stake for being a Dernyi priest would make one rather paranoid about being openly Dernyi.

r2005

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on March 10, 2008, 08:54:10 PM
During his dressing down of Duncan about not telling him in advance about he and Dhugal announcing to everyone they were Deryni, Arilan mentioned his late friend Jorian.  Jorian was exposed as Deryni at his ordination and burned at the stake.  While he was burning, Arilan and everyone there were silenced when a "boyish" voice yelled out "Thou art a priest forever".  Morgan revealed that he was at Jorian's execution when he was page to Brion.  It is my belief that it was Morgan who yelled out "Thou art a priest forever".

I think I remember reading those parts at some point and thinking that, too.
No matter how you're heart is grieving if you keep on believing the dream that you wish will come true

morgan

I read of the execution but not the particular of that voice; maybe this is the reason or not, it think that the "adversion" of Morgan with Arilan is more a..."skin feel" as we say.
He doesn't trust Arilan, due to his insistence not to reveal his identity and to be, in some sense, more protected than the ones are openly Deryni

Shiral

Quote from: Mak on February 10, 2008, 10:57:03 AM
Well, yes, except that no one, not even an unborn child who might possibly have posed a threat to the throne and successsion, was considered truly innocent in those days.  I don't think Denis would have actually done anything if it did not become absolutely necessary and there was real evidence that Conaline would be used to cause an internal power struggle. 

Ah, well, I realize it's something of a lost cause.  Tho I have been able in the past to bring a few around to liking Denis a bit more, and converted one or two to a fan.  In general, I am content with my position as VP of the DAFC, and to sit back here and mock Morgan (in good fun), just to get a rise out of the Morganites.  :D

I would HOPE Denis would not do anything to an innocent child unless he was convinced it was necessary.  I do think though, that if Conall's child by Vanissa had been a son, he might have been more ready to make sure he'd never be in a position to threaten the Haldane succession.  But that's a moot point, since the child is alive and well, and in the care of her mother and grandparents, and Denis does not appear to be plotting her demise anytime soon. Possibly because he feels she'll be well instructed to do her duty with a grandfather like Nigel.

Regarding Jorian, I have never personally heard her say this, but others have said Katherine confirmed Morgan was the one to call Sacerdos in Aeternum at Jorian's execution.  It will be interesting to know if Alaric paid a price for that in a churchyard with a whole lot of clerics and seminary students.  And how he got out of the mess, if he got into one then. (I wonder if Se Trelawney showed up at an opportune time and got Alaric safely away.)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Mak

Quote from: Shiral on March 12, 2008, 01:32:50 AM
I would HOPE Denis would not do anything to an innocent child unless he was convinced it was necessary.  I do think though, that if Conall's child by Vanissa had been a son, he might have been more ready to make sure he'd never be in a position to threaten the Haldane succession.  But that's a moot point, since the child is alive and well, and in the care of her mother and grandparents, and Denis does not appear to be plotting her demise anytime soon. Possibly because he feels she'll be well instructed to do her duty with a grandfather like Nigel.

Of course, he wouldn't do anything without good cause.  Whatever else he is, Denis is not a competely unfeeling monster.  And is probably very happy things worked out as well as they did for everyone.
-Mak

Obiwan3

I think Denis is the way he is, because he'd had to hide his Deryniness for so long, pre-Kelson. The Statutes of Ramos were draconian for Derynis attempting to receive Holy Orders. Denis had to take on aspects of some of our arch-villains (Loris, McGiness) to exist in that environment.  He is descended from a long line of skilled Derynis. Give him his due, he is a powerful ally. So, I don't dislike him, but respect him. I think of him as a Bishop on the chess board.  Even if he is a bit of a stuffed shirt/cassock.  :D

morgan

If it was Morgan or not to say that phrase, I don't think it's enough to have not simpathy each other; from what i understand, thery were both very young when this happened...

Mak

Denis was 21 when Jorian was put to death; Morgan was 13.
-Mak

derynifanatic64

Maybe the next "Childe Morgan" book will have Alaric's trip to Denis' seminary for Jorian's execution.  If he indeed yell out that phrase, I would like to know whether or not he got away with it for that outburst.  We'll just have to wait and see.

JulianneTK

That is such a cool idea. It never occurred to me that Alaric might have yelled that out.  I always just put that down to "I'll probably never know who said it..."  LIke you, I'd love to know how/if he actually did it and how/if he got away with it.

tenworld

i didnt think it was Alaric because I dont see him as overly religious or scholarly (would he even know the source of that phrase in the Bible?)
but then he always has been impetuous, and he would have been still a teenager.  Its more like Duncan but would Duncan have risked saying it or would he even have been there.