• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Deryni blood in the Haldane line

Started by BishopCullen, June 23, 2007, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikegeo

Tracing back to the beginning of the Haldane line, Kelson was probably 60% deryni without taking into account the Haldane powers.  My guess is by Kelson's time most of the royal families have a least some deryni blood.

Augarin
Caldora (unknown, most likely human)

Llaric (son or Augarin)
Sidonie Quinnell (human)

Ryons (son of Llaric (or Dolon or Jestyn)
Raphaela Furstan (Deryni)

Bearand (son or Ryon)
Aisling (unknown, but most likely human)

Ifor (son of Bearand)
Nuala (unknown)

Aidan (son of Ifor)
Avis (human)

Alroy (son of Aidan)
Nellwyn (human)

Cinhil (son of Alroy)
Megan (human)

Rhys (son of Cinhil)
Michaela (deryni)

Uthyr (son of Rhys)
Grania (human)

Cluim
Swynbeth (1/4 Deryni)

Urien
Jaroni (Deryni, from the same royal family that leads to Azim and other known deryni)

Malcom
Roisiam (human)

Donal
Richeldis (human, but because she is also of a royal house probably has some deryni blood)

Brion
Jehana (Deryin)

Kelson

lenni

Quote from: Adam on December 22, 2007, 10:33:36 PM
However, in one of the books there was an add-on piece about
the genetics of the Deryni where it listed that the Chromosomes
determine the Deryni or not. It was shown there that the Deryni
gift is passed through only the X chromosome.

<snip>

I sadly don't have mu collection available to me right now but I
will amend with the book that has the Gene breakdown, or if
someone else has read it and remembers.

It was an appendix in High Deryni.

Quote from: Adam on December 22, 2007, 10:33:36 PM
A level of ability might be as much nurture as nature. Matyas
Furstan's training took him past his brothers magically. Cathan
MacRorie never seemed to show the relative power of his brother
or sister.

It has been speculated among the fans that there are the X' (Deryni) and Y' (Haldane) genes wich act as on/off switches.  Furthermore, there are other genes which carry your Deryni or Haldane potentials.

If you have the X' gene, then you can use Deryni powers.  If you have the Y' gene, then you can use Haldane powers, if you've gone through the necessary assumption of powers.

Your "potential" genes determine how powerful your Deryni powers could be (with the appropriate study and ractice!).  So even if you don't have the "on switch" (X' and/or Y'), you can pass on potential.

Kathleen

lenni

Quote from: mikegeo on July 18, 2008, 01:18:30 AM
Tracing back to the beginning of the Haldane line, Kelson was probably 60% deryni without taking into account the Haldane powers.  My guess is by Kelson's time most of the royal families have a least some deryni blood.

<snip>

Uthyr (son of Rhys)
Grania (human)

Grania was part-Deryni.  Her mother's Deryni powers were blocked.  I believe that Grania was an 1/8 Deryni.

Kathleen

BalanceTheEnergies

QuoteMaybe the 3rd Childe Morgan book will go into at least a little of how she [Jehana] ended up loathing what she was so much. 

There's a allusion to a fanatical nun/mother superior in her educational background in The King's Justice (I forget precisely where). And doesn't Azim regret not spending more time in the Bregmani court when he bumps into her chaplain?
Dubito ergo sum

derynifanatic64

Either Jehana's education while growing up was spiked with vicious anti-Deryni propaganda or some bad Deryni committed a horrific crime in Bremagne that helped to shape/form her hatred for Deryni.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on March 26, 2009, 07:26:53 PM
Either Jehana's education while growing up was spiked with vicious anti-Deryni propaganda or some bad Deryni committed a horrific crime in Bremagne that helped to shape/form her hatred for Deryni.

Or both.  If she had been raised anti-Deryni and had begun to question it, then some horrible misuse of Deryni power occured in the neighborhood, the andi-Deryni teachers would have said, "See?  What did we tell you?"

tenworld

either way she must have been blocked when young - she could not have suppressed something like that especially with Arilan and other Deryni around her. 

but then we still need to understand why Arilan and the council have forgotten blocking was possile.

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on April 15, 2009, 04:56:03 PM
either way she must have been blocked when young - she could not have suppressed something like that especially with Arilan and other Deryni around her. 

but then we still need to understand why Arilan and the council have forgotten blocking was possile.

What if she had the blocking gene and whatever the trauma was made her self-block?

tenworld

that's an interesting suggestion, self-blocking.  fits with post traumatic stress syndrome.  maybe a spell that went horribly wrong?

now the question is, did she self-unblock due to the stress of seeing her son in mortal danger or was someone around at the coronation with the ability to block/unblock?

derynifanatic64

At Kelson's coronation, Jehana tried to use her powers on Charissa and failed miserably.  Charissa taunted Jehana with her pathetic attempt at magic by denying herself use of her powers for so long.  Instead of someone blocking her powers or blocking herself, maybe Jehana found religion, became "born-again", and decided to stop all magical training and live as "human" only.

Now with Barrett's help as her teacher and husband, Jehana will receive the training she denied herself for so long.  She will then be able to stop being ashamed about her Deryni heritage.

BalanceTheEnergies

Derynifanatic64's point is important. Most Deryni (other than Haldanes) must be trained to use their powers; Jehana wasn't trained, and therefore was no match for Charissa, despite her maternal desperation. In this context, it might be wise to recall Dhugal's example; he was totally unaware of his own abilities (attributing his touch with animals to the Second Sight known to other borderers), and he could not lower his shields for some time after Kelson discovered them. The question of blocking need not arise.

Of course, there may be Haldane ancestors who were blocked when the "cult" was active, and it may be difficult or impossible to trace them subsequently. After all, the point of the exercise was to hide those people and their Deryni heritage from the bloody minded regents and their clerical allies.

As for tenworld's question about the lack of knowledge on the Camberian Council, I can't say I'm really surprised by that. They don't know much about healing either, aside from knowing that it was done. They don't seem inclined to really investigate the matter very well--recall that one excuse for making Morgan and Duncan liable to arcane challenge was to resolve the question of their healing abilities (to my mind, a poor excuse on Laran's part)--why didn't they simply ask them? Perhaps, just as the pure blood prejudice interfered with their thinking on that matter, it also interfered with other inquires--even stifling them before they could be made. Blocking could also be a sensitive subject, considering how some expressed dismay at the possibility of killing Krispin MacAthan in his crib to forestall the danger his parentage posed in their eyes. The blocking itself was also an extremely rare talent, stumbled upon by accident in period fraught with danger. What records were left? How long did those records survive? If they are still extant, where are they?
Dubito ergo sum

Elkhound

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on April 17, 2009, 07:24:32 PM

Now with Barrett's help as her teacher and husband, Jehana will receive the training she denied herself for so long.  She will then be able to stop being ashamed about her Deryni heritage.

How does Kelson feel about Barrett as a stepfather?

Shiral

Quote from: Elkhound on April 20, 2009, 09:26:34 AM
Quote from: derynifanatic64 on April 17, 2009, 07:24:32 PM

How does Kelson feel about Barrett as a stepfather?

We don't really know, at this point.  If he consented to the match, his feeling  toward Barrett is at least one of acceptance, and perhaps something friendlier.  For one thing, Kelson is not a child, and it's not a case of  "What is that man doing in MY father's place?"  Enough time has passed since Brion's death that there's no question of unseemly haste on either Barrett's part or Jehana's. There may be some gratitude toward Barrett in play, also.  A mellow Jehana is a much easier woman to live with than a Jehana who's freaking out about something every minute.

My speculation is that first, Kelson wants his mother to be happy, and he can see that Barrett does make her happy. Secondly, he gets on well enough personally with Barrett so that there are no major personality clashes between them when they meet.   Thirdly, he trusts Barrett as a Camberian Councilor to use his powers responsibly. (I personally think Kelson's taking a bit of a risk, there, considering that his relationsihp with the CC isn't always cuddly.)  Another possibility is that with Kelson starting out his own married life, he's glad to have Jehana happily occupied elsewhere creating a new home for herself.  That gives him some private time with Araxie, and also allows Araxie to settle into her new role as Queen and consort without having to compete, subtly or overtly, with Jehana. 

All the same, Jehana's wanting to marry Barrett--a Deryni AND a Camberian Councilor, might have been a bit of a shock for him....

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

derynifanatic64

Kelson's relations with the Camberian Council took a hit when he refused a seat on the Council.  Tiercel and Conall talked about Kelson's decision in QSC and the Council was shocked at Kelson's rebuff.  The Council had hoped to gain some control over Kelson, but Kelson did not want them to have any control over him.  Maybe Kelson and Barrett might get together one day to try to smooth over relations with the Council and then maybe Kelson could decide to join if another offer is ever put forth.

Elkhound

QuoteAll the same, Jehana's wanting to marry Barrett--a Deryni AND a Camberian Councilor, might have been a bit of a shock for him....

Melissa

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jehana have a child with Barrett later?  A Deryni half-sibling, especially when one is grown and probably about to become a father himself would be a shock, too.