• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Suggested Reading Order

Started by Bynw, March 08, 2007, 07:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

This is my suggested reading order of the Deryni books (not counting some of the specialty books).

Deryni Rising (this is a great book to introduce someone to the Deryni)
Deryni Checkmate
High Deryni
The Bishop's Heir
The King's Justice
The Quest for Saint Camber
King Kelson's Bride
Camber of Culdi
Saint Camber
Camber the Heretic
The Harrowing of Gwynedd
King Javan's Year
The Bastard Prince
Deryni Archives
Deryni Magic
Codex Derynianus
In the King's Service
Childe Morgan
The King's Deryni
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

EvilEd

Why that order - rather than chronological or the order written?

Bynw

Deryni Rising was the first book written. And is able to stand alone without the need of any other books. Incase a new reader, for some crazy reason, doesn't like the story. So we just start with it and continue the trilogy from there.

The problem with reading the Camber trilogy before reading the Histories of King Kelson, is you get to know some things that can potentially spoil events in the Histories as well as King Kelson's Bride. So we read ALL of the stories with Kelson first before going back into time and reading about the now legendary Saint Camber. Not only legendary to the characters but to us the readers as well.

Once we start on the Camber stories we read the full Camber Trilogy and then read about his heirs. Now the events that take place in Deryni Magic and Deryni Archives can be read without being soilers to other stories. Deryni Tales can be tossed in around this time too. And also the Codex which really isnt a story but has soiliers none the less.

That leaves us with the current Childe Morgan trilogy currently being written and not yet complete to round it out.

kgilson

Since I have read all the books so many times, I now read them in chronological order.  But you are right, when I first read them, I read them in the order you stated and I am glad I did.

Karen

john

I like to re-read in the order of publication.  I first read the books when St. Camber was new.  I have gotten into the habit of re-reading shortly before the next book comes out.  Does not always work out that way, but I try.

pax,
john

mitche

In general, as new volumes have come out, I reread the series to which the volume belongs.

As DR series is being re-released, I wonder if anyone has done enough of a comparison of them to post differences.

Cheers,

Mitch Edelman

jjmjr

As I recall there were very few changes to either directors cut  (DR or DC) though DC did have a new opening.    And I understand HD will also have a new opening.

jerry

rebeckagypsy

hi,
Actually when I do read the books, i start with Kelson...  I tried to start them back when.... by reading Camber and i stalled on them....  On the other hand..if you start with Kelson, you manage to get a little bit curious about what Kelson and Co are missing history wise and it does make things easier to read the camber books after that..
j

Farm Ur-Ted

I've read them all in publication order, which makes the most sense for a new reader.  But I'm working up to a re-read (I've never re-read any of the books, and I suffered a bit for it during the last trilogy), and I'm going to do it in historical order.  I just can't wait to re-read Camber the Heretic.  That book still gives me chills, 25 years after reading it.

Cleothyla

For the longest time, I couldn't even get into the Camber Series. I love the Kelson series, probably because I like Kelson. It took me a long time to read the Bishop's Heir and the second one after that, but then I found the Quest for Saint Camber and read that before Bishop's Heir. Then I went back when I was in the mood to devour books and read them over and enjoyed them. I haven't gotten the Childe Morgan yet but when it comes out in paperback I'll definately get it. I've read In the King's Service and enjoyed that because it shed some light on Alyce, Morgan's mother and Vera, Duncan's mother.

Kelsa

Hi.

I was just reading the "suggested order" and following comments.  Since I started reading the Deryni books back in the late 70's, I have always started with Camber of Culdi and read them in chronilogical order.  I used to re-read all the books from the "beginning" before reading a new novel in the series.  Once she hit 10 books in the series, I started to look at the "re-reading" with trepidation since it would take me sooooo long to get to the new book.  Then the new books fit in the middle of the old ones, and it became difficult to read them "in order" with the newest at the end.  So I tried just reading the new trilogies, but I found that if I didn't do the re-reading from the beginning, I would miss or forget tidbits that were mentioned or suggested in the new books, and I'd be back in the old books before finishing the new one anyway. 

So, now I find out where the latest set of books are going to be in order of history, wait until the first two in the series are done and read chronilogically up to that point, read the new books - hopefully timing it so that the 3rd in the series is out when I get to that point, and then read the rest of the series from there.  That seems to be the most fulfilling way of reading the books - at least for me.  Needless to say, though, my copy of Camber of Culdi has been read so many times that it's starting to fall apart  ::)  (it is only a paperback - I buy hardcovers now - more chance of surviving all the re-reading).   

I haven't started re-reading them yet, but I was given Childe Morgan for my birthday.  I don't know where KK is with the 3rd in that series but it's only 8 books before I'll be looking for it so I may wait a bit longer before I pick up poor Camber this time... ;D
Live each day to it's fullest and experience your dreams in the world around you.

Obiwan3

Well, I don't think the book police will be coming after to you if you don't follow the "suggested" reading order. The order is just that, a suggestion. The best part of re-reading is re-imagining the stories again. I find I see new nuances in the stories as I re-read them. Your enjoyment is the thing!

Shiral

Quote from: Obiwan3 on October 09, 2007, 03:56:01 PM
Well, I don't think the book police will be coming after to you if you don't follow the "suggested" reading order. The order is just that, a suggestion. The best part of re-reading is re-imagining the stories again. I find I see new nuances in the stories as I re-read them. Your enjoyment is the thing!

NO one expects the Book Police, just as they don't expect the Spanish Inquisition!!!
RUN, RUN, Hide! They're coming!!  ;)

Actually, you can start with KKB and work your way backwards if that's what works for you. The "suggested reading order" is exactly that--just a suggestion. Everyone has their favorite wayto read the series. Some like Chronological order, and some go for the published order. It depends on what series you're in the mood to read right THEN.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Bynw

The book police, they live inside of my library
The book police, they come to me in my chair
The book police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no.

derynifanatic64

Chronological order would probably be better for someone who is new to the Deryni series.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!