• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alyce's will

Started by Braniana, June 02, 2007, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braniana

Does anyone have thoughts on what the condition might have been in Alyce's will that would have been a hinderance to Bronwyn marrying Kevin?  It's something that Alaric says in DC or HD, but doesn't explain, and CM didn't enlighten me either.  Maybe #3 will explain?

tenworld

perhaps Alyce required that her daughter marry a deryni and it had to be determined that Kevin is descnded from one of the hidden branches.

Morgan either would not know that was the actual condition, or he knew and then had the memory suppressed

morgan

I have this trilogy but haven't read it yet.
Morgan says about this "condition" in DC, but I seem that was lady Vera that gave this condition, not Alyce, but maybe I'm wrong

tangie

My theory is that since Alyce and Vera were going to such great lengths to keep their Deryni connections hidden that they wouldn't have wanted a known Deryni to marry into the family and draw attention to them as a possible Deryni threat.

JulianneTK

I always thought that it was because Kevin was too closely kin to Bronwyn for them to marry...  But, wait. Was Vera Kevin's mother?  If she wasn't, then I probably never paid enough attention to whom what related to whom.  Sigh.
blessed be, Julianne

derynifanatic64

Vera was not Kevin's mother.  His mother was named Elaine and was Jared's first wife.  Elaine died giving birth to Kevin.  Jared then married Vera.  Jared married a third time after Vera died of a wasting disease.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

morgan

I didn't know about the 3rd wife of Jared  ???

Braniana

Her name was Margaret.  I think she was a widow before marrying Jared.  She appears near the end of Deryni Checkmate, and that's it.

Shiral

Quote from: Braniana on February 21, 2008, 12:19:16 AM
Her name was Margaret.  I think she was a widow before marrying Jared.  She appears near the end of Deryni Checkmate, and that's it.

Yup, you got it right. Elaine was first  and had less than a year's marriage I think, although Kevin was born from it. Then Vera, who lasted 26 years, and produced Duncan and an infant daughter who died.  Then Duchess Margaret who was a forty year old widow and a late in life  "I can marry for love, since I've got an heir and a spare" wife for Jared. I always wondered what became of her.  I'm sure Duncan would never be so heartless as to turn his father's widow out of her home.  Perhaps she even kept on the duties of a Chatelaine housekeeper for him, since Duncan ruled Cassan as an absentee Duke.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

derynifanatic64

As Duncan's step-mother and Dhugal's step-grandmother, I am sure she is still living in Cassan.  It is not in Duncan's nature to leave his step-mother without a home.  I am sure that she will always be a part of Duncan's and Dhugal's life.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

georgiaj3

I think I remember Morgan saying Alyce's will contained a clause that Bronwyn's inheritance would be forfeit if she married before the age of 25.  I've always though she did that to protect Bronwyn from being married off before she was old enough to do anything about it.  At 25, she can choose for herself, as opposed to being forced into marriage at an early age for her guardian's political advantage.

JulianneTK

But who was Bronwyn's guardian?

Shiral

Quote from: JulianneTK on June 29, 2008, 06:09:50 PM

Ummmm.. I always thought she was Jared and Vera's ward after Sir Kenneth's death.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

the Bee

Quote from: JulianneTK on June 29, 2008, 06:09:50 PM

I've always assumed it was Duke Jared McLean.

Milo

QuoteSir Kenneth Morgan fosters his now motherless children, Alaric and Bronwyn, to his wife's "cousin," Vera Countess of Kierney and her husband, Jared Hereditary Duke of Cassan and Earl of Kierney.

Alaric and Bronwyn appear only to have been "fostered" to Vera & Jared.  Isn't an orphaned noble who is underage the ward of the King unless he transfers such responsibility to someone else?