• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Loose Ends

Started by Jodotha, July 21, 2008, 03:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jodotha

I am wondering when we rediscover the "switch" that was used to hide Deryni by Rhys. Lot's of 'half' Deryni could be whole, and lots of humans could be Deryni. Will be very interesting. Also, when the family went into hiding, with Cinhil ~ When do we rediscover this place? When do we rediscover the hidden ruins in Grecotha?

derynifanatic64

We'll probably find out should Katherine ever write a trilogy that takes place, say 10 years, after "King Kelson's Bride".  I would like to have the ruins under Grecotha rediscovered.  There was one passage down there that was completely blocked by debris.  We'll just have to wait.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

BalanceTheEnergies

QuoteWe'll probably find out should Katherine ever write a trilogy that takes place, say 10 years, after King Kelson's Bride.

Quite so. I'm sure there are many loose ends our heroes would wish to pursue once the crises die down and they can set about the business of conducting research and establishing scholae. Besides, there are so many interesting ways things can be revealed. Suppose Duncan was administering Extreme Unction to someone in the master bedroom at Sheele and found part of the floor faintly tingling?  ;)  If memory serves, the Codex states the portal was locked against all but blood relations when Evaine and the rest went into exile.
Dubito ergo sum

DesertRose

I haven't checked my copy of the Codex, but it says in Camber the Heretic and Deryni Magic that Evaine locked the Sheele portal to anybody but blood relations when it became clear that it was no longer safe for Deryni that close to the capital.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

BalanceTheEnergies

Such was my recollection. I suggested the sacrament as a legitimate way to get Duncan into the bedroom (which is where I think the portal was located). Then too, (again according to the Codex) Morgan was given the chairmanship of a committee set up to explore settling property claims of old Deryni families who were ousted after the Restoration. Who's to say how much travel that might involve?

This line of thought also makes me wonder if some of the Camberian Council might think better of our favourite half-breeds if they knew them to be descendants of Camber. Vivienne has passed on, Sofiana is kin by marriage (via Richenda), Barrett marries Jehana, and I'm sure Laran's curiosity is far from satisfied. Much depends on who takes the next open seat....
Dubito ergo sum

Braniana

I believe that the Codex says that Matyas takes the vacant seat.  He, clearly, has many reasons to like both Kelson and Alaric.

tenworld

I too want to see the revalation that Morgan, Duncan, Kelson and a few others are direct descendants of Evaine/camber.
especially I want to see Arilan's reaction :)

While I dont want the books to end, the scene where they all learn could be a fitting last chapter

BalanceTheEnergies

I wouldn't mind having things come full circle. The Codex refers to the Pax Kelsona, so perhaps our heroes will get a respite that will enable them to figure out that old altar under Grecotha, among other things...
Dubito ergo sum

vajewa

I see the suppression of the Michaelines as something akin to the suppression of the Knights Templar, even though the Mike's metamorphosed in the the "Knight of the Anvil" outside of Gwynedd.  It would also be nice if at somepoint they were invited back/returned to the 11 Kingdoms with the body of knowledge that they took with them.  Perhaps they, in conjunction with Kelson/Duncan/Morgan would be  able to find and/excavate Grecotha and begin its restoration towards its place in academe with the direct connection of Kelson to Camber as one of its first "discoveries".  Am I stretching this too far?

derynifanatic64

Along with excavating under Grecotha, maybe someone could do the same at the ruins of St. Neot's.  Since St. Neot's was a major Deryni schola/religious house, there could be an underground chamber/secret library hidden below the main altar as well.

Elkhound

If you'll look in the Chat Log, you'll see that KK did not answer the question about a post-KKB book.

There should be at least one; there are so many loose ends afte KKB.

BalanceTheEnergies

The Codex has Teymuraz going to Byzantium, marrying, and siring offspring. Perhaps a Byzantine plot against Gwynedd and Torenth, a decade or two later?
Dubito ergo sum

Elkhound

Quote from: BalanceTheEnergies on April 03, 2009, 04:40:31 AM
The Codex has Teymuraz going to Byzantium, marrying, and siring offspring. Perhaps a Byzantine plot against Gwynedd and Torenth, a decade or two later?

I like that idea.  If Gwynedd and Torenth were to face a common enemy, that would do a great deal to put the last nail into their traditional animosity.

BalanceTheEnergies

QuoteIf Gwynedd and Torenth were to face a common enemy, that would do a great deal to put the last nail into their traditional animosity.

It might, but I suspect not without a very prickly period first. The bad blood between Gwynedd and Torenth goes back over four centuries. The threat from outside, and the intermarriages noted in the Codex (Liam to wed a relative of Kelson's and either Rory or Payne to wed a relative of Liam's-I don't have my own copy of the Codex, and my recall is fuzzy at best) might help, but it might take some fighting first, with true rapprochement only coming as members of both the Gwyneddian and Torenthi camps take each other's measure--seeing their old foes holding up well in combat, or otherwise demonstrating loyalty to the new joint cause. And really, that's largely how the Deryni regain their place in Gwynedd, isn't it? "By their fruits, you shall know them..."
Dubito ergo sum

derynifanatic64

Quote from: BalanceTheEnergies on April 03, 2009, 04:40:31 AM
Thorne Hagen (via the Codex) gave Teymuraz refuge after his failed attempt to kill Matyas.  If the Camberian Council found out, they might decide to attempt to punish him.