• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 122
Total: 123
Laurna
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

New Player Call

Started by Bynw, October 07, 2018, 08:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

I am posting this to see if there is any interest to the other forum member to joining this game.

One spot only!

Reply here if you are interested in joining the campaign.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DerynifanK

I might be interested  but am not sure I have the skills to be a worthy partucipant. All of you are wonderful  writers and have amazing imaginations. Would it involve creating a new character or developing one of the existing  characters not already being played? How  would  the new player be integrated into the game?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on October 08, 2018, 02:48:16 PM
I might be interested  but am not sure I have the skills to be a worthy partucipant. All of you are wonderful  writers and have amazing imaginations. Would it involve creating a new character or developing one of the existing  characters not already being played? How  would  the new player be integrated into the game?

@DerynifanK

You've asked some great questions and I'm sure others would have similar questions as well. So this is to you and anyone else that has the same quetions.

Because this is a role-playing game, imagination is very much needed.One would be surprised to learn just how much they really have though as many do underestimate themselves on this aspect.

Yes being able to write is good too, since this is a play-by-post game. But it doesn't have to be super detailed or long winded. It can be short and sweet.

It will involve creating your own character from the ground up.

We would find an introductry point in which to add the new character based on that character's background and concept. Possibly when the 4 main characters get back together, but that is yet to be determined.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

It would need to be a brand new character, and would require pre-approval from Bynw to make sure the character being proposed would fit in with the current group of players and also with the game plot. Usually if a new character is introduced in mid-game (or between parts of a game), it tends to be someone the players encounter in the course of their adventure who then ends up needing to go along with them for some reason. (Think about Darcy, Aliset, and Wash first met Columcil at the beginning of this game.)  But it might also be someone Kelson sends out to join them, or any number of intros Bynw might come up with instead, or which might spring up logically from whatever backstory you come up with for your character.  (It helps if the backstory you create would logically fit in with the story already in progress and/or somehow connects with one of the other player characters' backstories. For instance, if you create a Torenthi ambassador en route to Llannedd on a diplomatic mission, your character can have the coolest backstory in the world, but if there's no logical way to fit him into this story, he's not likely to get approved. )

Also, be aware that participating requires a fair bit of time commitment, and as you have seen from the (sometimes glacial) slowness of this game, sometimes real life has a bad habit of interfering at the world's worst times. We try to pick up the story thread(s) for each other when we can, and we each have input and veto power over how other players use our character.  There is a LOT of plotting that goes on behind the scenes, and some ideas proposed and then altered or discarded before we come up with a plan that sticks, and also some mutual editing of each other's writing at times (especially if it involves multiple PCs), so anyone wanting to play in this story-telling format must be good at cooperating with others and being a team player.

It is also helpful if you are the sort of person who enjoys trying to solve problems, puzzles, and sticky situations, since there will be lots of obstacles to overcome and sometimes some dark times for our characters. So for anyone who is easily frustrated and unable to see how a bad situation in the present moment might be made to turn into a better situation down the road, this sort of game might be more stress than fun. But if you enjoy challenges and having to sometimes think outside the box to work out a solution to your problems, then you might find those same obstacles enjoyable.

The ability to write and tell a logical story in your scenes helps, obviously. But if things like grammar and punctuation aren't your strong suit, don't despair, that doesn't necessarily leave anyone out. That's where having the rest of the team available to help with edits really comes in handy.  :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!