• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Home Decor

Started by DesertRose, April 07, 2018, 05:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

So if the actual content of my home decor could be said to have an aesthetic, it'd be "Hand-Me-Down Central."  ;D

But yesterday, my stepdad installed a curio cabinet for me, so I was actually able to put out some decor things I specifically chose.

Here's the curio itself, full of bric-a-brac:

The bottom shelf holds a black metal and glass candle holder that I always called the "Cyrano candle holder," because when I got it, I had a black cat named Cyrano.

The candle holder:

Bonus Cyrano himself:

(Because what else do you do when you have a black cat and you carve a jack-o-lantern but take a picture of cat and pumpkin together?  ;) )

The third shelf of the curio:

The figurines, L to R, are a ballerina, a teddy bear riding a rocking horse, and a porcelain basket trimmed with little porcelain roses.

The second shelf:

Here we have a pair of cats, one black and one white, trimmed in gold paint; a little girl playing the flute, and another rocking horse.  The box beneath him once held chocolates, IIRC.

And the top shelf:

L to R, a white candle shaped like a cat, a tiny ginger cat in a pot, a Swarovski crystal cat with gold accents, a tiny gray cat in an upside-down hat, and a little porcelain Persian kitty.

Upon opening the boxes that held these figurines, I found some things I'd forgotten I had.

Control your shock that a calligrapher has a inkwell and pen holding stand:

(With extra snoopervision by Carys.)

And a lovely German clock with a family of swans at the base:

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

You have some lovely things. We tend to call such things knick-knacks, curios (which is not unknown but uncommon in general parlance) is a much nicer term.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Lovely Curios, and the best thing about a curio cabinet is that you don't have to regularly dust your curios. Which is something I do with a paint brush just about every week.  :D

Knick-knakes or curios, it is the little things that make your home your cozy nest.  Glade to see you getting cozy with your home, DR.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on April 07, 2018, 05:35:00 PM
You have some lovely things. We tend to call such things knick-knacks, curios (which is not unknown but uncommon in general parlance) is a much nicer term.

Usually in the US, "knickknacks" means the figurines and so forth themselves, where "curio/curio cabinet" is where you put them.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on April 07, 2018, 05:45:24 PM
Lovely Curios, and the best thing about a curio cabinet is that you don't have to regularly dust your curios. Which is something I do with a paint brush just about every week.  :D

Knick-knakes or curios, it is the little things that make your home your cozy nest.  Glade to see you getting cozy with your home, DR.

I specifically looked for a cabinet with a door, because both the dusting and also to keep a certain feline someone from knocking my things to the floor and likely breaking them.  Curiosity killed a cat!  :D

Jerusha

A lovely collection, DR.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany