collapse

Author Topic: Gabrilites  (Read 611 times)

Offline Marko

• Squire
  • Favorite Book: Camber of Culdi
  • Favorite Character: Jebediah
Gabrilites
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »
Has anyone ever wondered what happened to the Gabrilites who made it to the portal in Dhassa before Dom Emrys destroyed the portal at Saint Neot's?  I just finished re-reading Camber the Heretic and it brought that question back to the surface again.  The Codex implies that some went abroad and I wonder where.  If they went abroad, Healing should not have died with them IMO.  Depending on how far some of them ended up from Gwynedd, there should have been some Kingdom, Principality, etc. that would have allowed them to build a new Abbey and school to teach new Healers.  The Forcinn or somewhere south of there or Torenth should have welcomed the remaining Gabrilites with open arms, since both places already had a Deryni population and Torenth had Deryni rulers that would not have had the issues that the Regents had with anything Deryni.  I also wonder how many scrolls, codices etc. were lost during the two days that Saint Neot's burned after Rhun sacked the place.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
Re: Gabrilites
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:14:40 pm »
I suspect many, if not most, went to the Healer school in Tralia that the Codex mentions being destroyed a few generations later. (Can't remember how anymore. Fire? Plague? That would be ironic! I just remember I sent my Healer character from "The Least of These" there because it would have been a known refuge for Healers during the time of the Regents.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Online Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
    • OtherWorlders IRC Network
  • Favorite Book: Two Crowns for America
  • Favorite Character: Camber of Culdi
  • Twitter: anlarye
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:33:52 pm »
According to the Codex, there were other healer schools. They had been sacked by the Norsemen. In 1023 the King of Torenth gathered the remaining healers, most in their middle years or far older in an attempt to reestablish a school. But war broke out and they were sent to aid the soldiers. Most died at Killingford.

Other attempts have been made to import enough healers from Byzanthyum and Asshyr  but due to the language, cultural differences and long journey to Torenth most didn't leave their homelands.

Offline whitelaughter

• Knight/Dame
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:24:24 am »
Given it specifies that healers aren't particularly effective against disease, it is likely that a large number die from plague each generation, while doing what they can for other victims.

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:19:03 pm »
Very likely!
Just like medical staff today are susceptible to disease. I can not tell you how many times I have caught the flue or worse from a patient in my 25 years of Hospital work. No matter how hard you try to stay clean and de-germ, it happens.
I think that Healers have a better chance of surviving, in that they can cure the symptoms and hopefully live through the disease, but if it was a deadly strain? Yes, it would and could wipe out many Healers.

I do believe that Healers can cure the symptoms, they can control antibodies, histamines and cell damage, They just can not remove the bacteria or virus from the cells directly. However, if the Healer understands the process, they should be able to stimulate the patient's own immune system to help fight the disease and reduce its effects.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 01:26:39 pm »

I do believe that Healers can cure the symptoms, they can control antibodies, histamines and cell damage, They just can not remove the bacteria or virus from the cells directly. However, if the Healer understands the process, they should be able to stimulate the patient's own immune system to help fight the disease and reduce its effects.

I think modern-day Healers would be able to do these things. Medieval era Healers, though, would be limited by what they are able to visualize, and in an age before high power magnification and germ theory, they wouldn't even know what to visualize to do these particular things, although things like bone-setting or wound healing would be second-nature to a fully trained medieval Healer.  Even something like midwifery would be possible, since even though the emerging baby might be unseen, enough can be felt and visualized using the physical and psychic senses, once they're attuned to what to look for, to help with turning the baby the right way using Deryni powers.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:32:38 pm »

I think modern-day Healers would be able to do these things. Medieval era Healers, though, would be limited by what they are able to visualize, and in an age before high power magnification and germ theory, they wouldn't even know what to visualize to do these particular things, although things like bone-setting or wound healing would be second-nature to a fully trained medieval Healer.  Even something like midwifery would be possible, since even though the emerging baby might be unseen, enough can be felt and visualized using the physical and psychic senses, once they're attuned to what to look for, to help with turning the baby the right way using Deryni powers.

I agree with Evie.  Medieval Healers would have been able to treat the symptoms, and might even have been able to give the patient's immune system a boost, since they could visualize the body in a state of health and lend energy to restoring the body to that state, as well as being able to induce a particularly restful sleep state, and it is widely recognized by modern medical science that sleep/rest are very important for immune system function and recovery from illnesses and injuries.

But in the canon timeline, well before the invention of microscopes and the development of germ theory, actually curing a disease (like, the flu or a cold or bubonic plague or whatever) wouldn't be possible even for a Healer; the best they'd be able to manage would be treatment of the symptoms and supportive care like Healer's sleep (and less esoteric types of supportive care, like hydration and healthful food).
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Bynw
[Today at 03:06:28 pm]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by revanne
[Today at 02:56:20 pm]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by revanne
[Today at 02:36:22 pm]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Bynw
[Today at 01:48:26 pm]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Laurna
[Today at 01:37:10 pm]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by DerynifanK