• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 126
Total: 128
Shiral
tmcd
Google (AdSense) (2)
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Hello everyone !

Started by Aang, February 04, 2018, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aang

Hi,

So i'm Yann (a britton name) a.k.a Aang, 32, from Montpellier, Southern France. English language is not an exercise i'm familiar with so I hope you will forgive any future errors (and don't hesitate to point it at me by pm so I could progress).

I have been a fan since 15 years. I begin to read KKB when I was 16 or 17 and continue with the all serie. As a teen, the world created by Ms Kurtz  had something i could easely relate to. And the fate of the Deryni (for a Frenchman living un post-WW2 Europe and a History graduate) had something very palpable for me (as for many of us, i should say).
As written in my profile, i'm fond of Javan and Kelson, two characters somewhat similar that make the boy I was dream if kingship, chivalry, hardships and magic.

I am an avid fantasy reader (LoTR, french fantasy novels, Darkover).

DesertRose

Welcome!

And if you need English help, I majored in English as did another forum admin (Evie), so we can probably help you if you need/want.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

Aang, Hello!

I give you a very warm welcome to Rhemuth Castle. Please join us on the forum, AKA the castle's great hall, and listen to all the gossip, AKA stories, and ideas, and inquires about all things Deryni. We are a good group of people and enjoy good company.

Welcome.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Bonjour, Aang!  Bienvenue au château de Rhemuth! J'espère que vous apprécierez votre séjour avec nous.  I took French at university, but that was over 30 years ago, so you can blame Google Translate for any errors in the sentences above.  ;D  I have forgotten most of the French I once learned, and I was never fluent in it (your English is better than my French was even when I was studying it), but I managed to communicate in my very rusty French when I visited Strasbourg and Colmar last spring.  (My husband and I went on a Rhine river cruise that included some bus excursions into Alsace.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Bienvenue Aang au Chateau de Rhemuth - (ou peut-etre ca devrait etre donjon car c'est du moyen age?). I hope you enjoy the stories and the conversations.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aang

Quote from: Evie on February 04, 2018, 06:36:19 PM
Bonjour, Aang!  Bienvenue au château de Rhemuth! J'espère que vous apprécierez votre séjour avec nous.

Bonjour, bonjour !

Thanks a lot, Evie! And no worries, not a single error in these sentences (but I'm not sure you have to translate Remuth Castle...).
Strasbourg and Colmar seemed great...but I never went there myself (too far North  :P).

And château is perfect, revanne. You can use the word for middle age related topics. We say château-fort for all medieval castles. It literally means fortified castle... As for the Remuth Castle, I think we should say le palais royal (royal palace ?).

Evie

Quote from: Aang on February 05, 2018, 01:48:30 AM

Strasbourg and Colmar seemed great...but I never went there myself (too far North  :P).

That's OK, Aang. I hardly ever make it over to France myself.  Too far East, and there's a bunch of salty water in the way....  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Demercia

Welcome to the forum Aang.  Like Revanne, who is my sister, I'm just across the channel.   
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Evie

Oh, I meant to ask, did you read Katherine's books in English or in French? If in French, how were the French translations?  (I know some translators do a better job than others.)  I always like seeing the different cover art that appears in other countries.  Sometimes it's better than what we see here, sometimes...very much not!  This set is especially funny....

http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,905.0.html

I think we needn't even ask if the artist bothered to read the books....   ;D ;D ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Welcome to the forum, Aang!

It's a bit colder up here in Canada.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Montpellier has a Mediterranean climate, does it not?

I lived just outside of Naples, Italy, for three years when I was a child.  (My father was in the US Navy.)  I miss living in a Mediterranean climate, especially this winter!  I live in Alabama, which normally has fairly mild winters, but not this year!

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Evie on February 05, 2018, 09:37:26 AM
Oh, I meant to ask, did you read Katherine's books in English or in French? If in French, how were the French translations?  (I know some translators do a better job than others.)  I always like seeing the different cover art that appears in other countries.  Sometimes it's better than what we see here, sometimes...very much not!  This set is especially funny....

http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,905.0.html

I think we needn't even ask if the artist bothered to read the books....   ;D ;D ;D

I would be really interested in your reply Aang as, when I refound Katherine's books after twenty-five years or so, I bought the first Kelson era and the first Camber era books in French translation one volume trilogies as I like to read French to keep up my grasp of the language (in between all too infrequent visits over the channel). My impression was that a lot of the subtlety of Katherine's writing and characterisation had been ironed out but that may have been because they were in one volume. Of course it may have been there and I just missed it. The covers were a bit over-dramatic too - though it has to be said nothing like as interesting as the German ones.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aang

Some of my early readings were in French (most of it actually since I was a teen when I began to read the Deryni series) but some books are very rare in French so I had to switch to English (Bishop's heir, the King Justice and all of the Childe Morgan books, the codex, etc).
I would say the french translation is indeed heavy. But you have to understand that fantasy wasn't very much looked for until recently with all of the GoTmania. So editors never put much effort in finding or awarding good translations...

As for the covert art, the major fantasy editor (Pocket) has (had) a similar policy (not too much effort...). So they have a very large data base unrelated to any of the books topics and choose the covert art who feels best, I think.

You can see covert art for Deryni Checkmate and High Deryni, below.

And yes, we enjoy Mediterranean climate, here in Montpellier (nothing like southern Italy but still nice).

Laurna

you most certainly can not judge a book by its cover. LOL

At least this cover has story elements, but I am not sure it truly represents the work inside.

This is my second printing soft cover book from 1974. I think it is a different cover than the 1972 first addition.

Is that red lizard the stenrect? I always imagined it as a very large scorpion.  ;)
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

That is definitely a '70s style cover!  I'm pretty sure every cover artist in the 1970s was high, judging from the cover art style of the era, though at least that artist seems to have had at least a passing familiarity with the book's contents, unlike some.  ;D

I didn't discover the series until the early '80s.  This was the cover art at the time:

I'm not entirely convinced Bethane was given to slaughtering cattle in her parlor, but eh, whatever.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--