Author Topic: Registration and PM frustrations  (Read 229 times)

Offline Bifph

• Squire
  • Favorite Book: Whichever I happen to be reading
  • Favorite Character: the "good guys"
Registration and PM frustrations
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:26:42 pm »
One of the reasons I lurked on this board for years was far-too-many steps needed for registration. This place never liked the answers to the "You must be more knowledgeable than KK" questions. Misspell "Stenrect" and *poof* you don't get to play.

I'm now having similar issues in PM. Not only is there two-factor authentication with username and password, but with all the specific Deryni knowledge that MUST be answered correctly. Quite frankly, it is more trouble than it's worth.

So, no role-play for me or anything else that requires all these extra steps.

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
Re: Registration and PM frustrations
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:59:16 pm »
Bifph, I am so sorry to hear you are having frustrations. Registering and private messaging shouldn't be a frustrating thing. I know the registration question is just to keep hackers and trollers off the sight, but once your in, the troubles should be over.  I hope Evie or Bynw can help you with the messaging, just realize they both work and may not be able to answer right away.
I hope your frustrations are resolved quickly.

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
    • OtherWorlders IRC Network
  • Favorite Book: Two Crowns for America
  • Favorite Character: Camber of Culdi
  • Twitter: anlarye
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:42:38 pm »
One of the reasons I lurked on this board for years was far-too-many steps needed for registration. This place never liked the answers to the "You must be more knowledgeable than KK" questions. Misspell "Stenrect" and *poof* you don't get to play.

I'm now having similar issues in PM. Not only is there two-factor authentication with username and password, but with all the specific Deryni knowledge that MUST be answered correctly. Quite frankly, it is more trouble than it's worth.

Sorry for the trouble you are having. I will check into that this afternoon. Wasn't aware of any issues with Private Messaging.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »

Sorry for the trouble you are having. I will check into that this afternoon. Wasn't aware of any issues with Private Messaging.

IIRC, there used to just be one question that was something like "Who is your favorite Katherine Kurtz novel character, and why?" I think that would be an easier question for people registering to answer which wouldn't require knowledge of a particular series of books (since although most of the people here came to this forum because of the Deryni books, I know we've got at least one fan here who has only read the Adept series--was that you, Bifph, or another member who recently joined?).  And yet it would still require specific knowledge about KK's books that your average spammer would not know how to answer.  Would it be possible to go back to that sort of screening system?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline MidnightBlue

• Squire
  • Favorite Character: Sir Adam Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:28:15 pm »
I'm the guy that had only read the Adept series and had no Deryni knowledge.

I have to say...I cheated on the test.  I just Googled the answers to the registration questions and thankfully found the correct answers or I wouldn't be here bugging you fine folks.

;D

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:41:55 pm »
I did find an anti-spam setting for private messages with members who have less than 5 posts. I have removed this restriction.

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »

Would it be possible to go back to that sort of screening system?

Now that we know there is an issue with the system we currently have in place with members we can revisit the anti spam measures and work out something that is better for all.

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 06:09:59 am »
From the Admin on Semi-Sabbatical:

The reason we had those measures in place is that, without some sort of anti-spam measures, we get an unbelievable amount of spam registration attempts.  Very early in my tenure as an admin, we missed one and a spammer posted. . .material of an adult nature, shall we say?. . .which we deleted with the quickness and kicked/banned the spammer.

But we try really hard to keep the forum free of spam while still trying to foster civil behavior and friendly discussion.  I'm sorry that the anti-spam measures have become such a problem for legitimate fans who just want to come play with the rest of us.

The admin team have been discussing some better way to go about keeping the forum spam-free while not making it so difficult for legitimate fans to participate in the forum and chat.

Thank you for your patience, and I'm sorry again that it became such a hassle.

~DR
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline MidnightBlue

• Squire
  • Favorite Character: Sir Adam Sinclair
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:59:06 am »
Spammers ruin everything...no doubt.

>:(

Offline DerynifanK

• Squire
  • Favorite Book: King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Kelson and Alaric, couldn't choose
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 10:30:00 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone  in my forum family. Hope all of you have a day full of family, friends and good food😊