Author Topic: How some of this works  (Read 162 times)

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
    • OtherWorlders IRC Network
  • Favorite Book: Two Crowns for America
  • Favorite Character: Camber of Culdi
  • Twitter: anlarye
How some of this works
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:43 am »
In a pure free-form roleplaying environment everything is wide open. Sometimes there is a setting but beyond that what happens is what happes based solely on character interaction. The powers and abilities of the characters very greatly from mundanes with nothing to near gods walking the earth who can kill with a thought and finger point. There is very little if any arbitration if a player disagrees with another. New and old players come and go at will. There is no check or balance on the character's power levels. It can be quite chaotic but still very fun. Young kids play like this all the time. Generally the game is called "Cowboys and Indians" or "Cops and Robbers".

Since this will be semi free-form. We have some elements of a free-form roleplaying environment and of course elements of a more structured RPG. So here is what we will be working with in the game:

• There is an established setting - the 11 Kingdoms in a post KKB time period by about 20-30 years in the future.
  • Players and Characters are free to join and leave at anytime.
  • Characters need to be approved before joining - this makes sure no one is playing a character that is super powerful or pitifully weak.
  • There is an established rule base and dice for randomization (Tiny Dungeons.)
  • Arbitration is available via a GM or multiple GMs, the GMs will not have their own individual characters. Players can retire their characters and become a GM if they wish to do so.
  • The story line is open, the players and their characters will determine where it goes from the starting point. The GM(s) may of course give a few random bits of story line to keep things moving and interesting.

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
Re: How some of this works
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:51 am »
I have the scary feeling I am about to jump into the deep end. Fortunately, my character has spent many years at sea and actually knows how to swim!   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »
I have the scary feeling I am about to jump into the deep end. Fortunately, my character has spent many years at sea and actually knows how to swim!   ;D

LOL Glad Darcy can swim. Washburn can swim too but am afraid with all this gear and chainmail that a long swim may not lead to a good outcome. LOL.

Bywn, Please tell me how this game is played. Is it by private messages only? Is it on the open forum pages so every one can read our progress? How do we tell the gamemaster and the other players what we are doing? Since I have only a few open hours in the late morning and after midnight, are we expected to make multiple moves over a few hours time. or is it more like a few moves each day.  I wish I could devote multiple hours a day to this, but work and family are priories.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »
the game will be played in the forum. there will be a new topic that you can reply to as things happen. private messages are for GM questions or communications that you dont want shared out in the open. sometimes private messages can be used for Rapport between Deryni as well. but the GM needs to be copied on all of those.

I'll post more on how it works

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:46:10 pm »
Some gaming notation:

"If your character is speaking it should be in quotes like this sentence."

::If your character is performing some kind of action, any action at all. It should be surrounded in double colons::

**Or you can put actions in between asterisks if you like either of these options is OK. Most descriptive information posted by a GM will be in asterisks. After all it was a dark and stormy night.**

Doing most forms of Deryni magic is an action. Except of course for Rapport and direct telepathic communication. Commonly called Mind-Speech. So that is saying something but to indicate it is not vocalized. We will notate it like this:

::Rapport with other character:: @@"The humans are weak. They do not know we are communicating with our thoughts"@@

So you put the quoted speech between a couple of at signs at the beginning and end to set that speech apart from common speech.

Posts can be a bit loose, we aren't posting a story in novel format while playing.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:57 pm »
If two people are posting simultaneous (or nearly simultaneous) posts that have them doing things that would contradict each other somehow, does the first post to make it into the thread have precedence?  Or how would that work? (Though at least the Forum's usual warning message that someone has posted a reply before you, and giving you a chance to edit your own message before posting, will probably help with this.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:06:41 pm »
That's a good question. It would really depend on what it was and in some cases the 1st post would win. In other cases it may loose. And there maybe a Test involved and whoever wins that gets their action to be the official one. It is kinda rare in a play by post situation as there maybe days between some posts in the thread. So I don't expect it to turn up often but it is always a possibility.

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:01 pm »
Never having played an RPG before (and being a slow learner), I may need a little coaching.

Darcy Cameron:  "Woman, just throw the dice or I WILL have you keel-hauled!"

Sigh....
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Bynw

• Zipper Brother
  • Administrator
  • Baron/Baroness
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:06:07 pm »
You will do fine. In fact first time gamers are better than old hats usually.

Offline drakensis

• Baron/Baroness
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 02:03:33 am »
Speaking as someone who's done a fair bit of roleplaying, the golden rule is "Games are for fun. The rules are there to facilitate the fun and should not be allowed to get in the way of that. Nor should player's behaviour, so be nice to each other even if your characters disagree."

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:49:56 am »
Speaking as someone who's done a fair bit of roleplaying, the golden rule is "Games are for fun. The rules are there to facilitate the fun and should not be allowed to get in the way of that. Nor should player's behaviour, so be nice to each other even if your characters disagree."

Yup, and Bynw as a GM is willing to bend (or flat-out break) the rules of any given system if it serves the story line and/or personal development of the characters. The rules are there to give it a little structure and guidance.  They aren't the end-all be-all of the game, or they shouldn't be.

I've gamed with Bynw GM'ing for quite some years (and IIRC, he played in the Shadowrun IRC campaign I GM'd myself a few years ago), and while I probably won't roll up a character for this campaign (too much other stuff going on for me at the moment), I can attest to him knowing what he's doing as a GM and not being ridiculous about rules if [Event/Behavior] makes sense in context of game play.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)