• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:52:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 177
Total: 177

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Setting

Started by Bynw, November 13, 2017, 09:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Our game will be set several decades after the events that took place and are chronicled in the novel King Kelson's Bride. This gives us an open slate where we are free to do as we please. If Katherine ever writes about this period, then our vision could become part of the Deryni Canon or it just becomes an alternate time line.

Kelson is still King of Gwynedd, however he is a middle-aged man now. His sons are grown and are around their 20s.

General Alaric Morgan is deceased. But the new Duke is very much like his father.

There has been peace in the 11 Kingdoms for many years. Minor conflicts, both internal and external happen. But there are few who remember the last major war.

The Statues of Ramos have all been stricken. Deryni are free to work and live openly once again. Though some are still cautious and many lost Deryni are being rediscovered. Saint Camber has been restored as the patron of Deryni magic and the Defender of humankind. And is also the patron saint of the Haldane House.

It will take generations to overcome the fear of the Deryni. But due to the King and the Deryni he has associated with and shown to the people they are accepting.

Healers are still very rare. And at this point no formal schools exist to train any Deryni with the healing gift. All current healers are trained via an apprenticeship.

Edit - changed Kelson's age description
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Quote from: Bynw on November 13, 2017, 09:46:05 PM
Our game will be set several decades after the events that took place and are chronicled in the novel King Kelson's Bride. This gives us an open slate where we are free to do as we please. If Katherine ever writes about this period, then our vision could become part of the Deryni Canon or it just becomes an alternate time line.

Kelson is still King of Gwynedd, however he is an old man now. His sons are grown and are around their 20s.

General Alaric Morgan is deceased. But the new Duke is very much like his father.

There has been peace in the 11 Kingdoms for many years. Minor conflicts, both internal and external happen. But there are few who remember the last major war.

The Statues of Ramos have all been stricken. Deryni are free to work and live openly once again. Though some are still cautious and many lost Deryni are being rediscovered. Saint Camber has been restored as the patron of Deryni magic and the Defender of humankind. And is also the patron saint of the Haldane House.

It will take generations to overcome the fear of the Deryni. But due to the King and the Deryni he has associated with and shown to the people they are accepting.

Healers are still very rare. And at this point no formal schools exist to train any Deryni with the healing gift. All current healers are trained via an apprenticeship.

Interesting...I've always thought the post-KKB period would be a fun time to explore. Lots of changes, and some changes would only be made grudgingly in some quarters, and certainly not overnight.  If Deryni are more accepted (or at least tolerated) in this time than they were in Alaric's or earlier, then I imagine sources of conflict for our adventurers are more likely to be individual ones rather than societal. Although that long period of peace might be threatened from some outside force as well.  What has Teymuraz been doing all of this time, I wonder, besides breeding sons in Byzantyun?

QuoteKelson is still King of Gwynedd, however he is an old man now. His sons are grown and are around their 20s.

Well, unless some untimely death happened for Prince Javan and his younger brothers were born a lot later, Kelson can't be too old!  IIRC, he was 21 in KKB, which means by 1130 when Javan was born, he was only around 23 or thereabouts. So even if "around their 20s" means Kelson's eldest son is 29, Kelson would only be 52, which is younger than I am.  Watch who you're calling old, young whippersnapper!  ;D

QuoteGeneral Alaric Morgan is deceased. But the new Duke is very much like his father.

That's a sad loss for the kingdom, but I'm glad Duke Kelric is following in his father's footsteps. Any chance Bishop (or maybe by now, Archbishop) Duncan is still alive?  Given the age difference between him and Kelson, he'd only be around 67 by now, which (given Deryni tendencies towards good health and longer life if not killed by injury or violent means) would certainly not be outside the realm of possibility. Even a healthy human in the real Middle Ages might stand a decent chance of living that long, given proper nutrition, decent enough sanitation in his living environment, and the good luck to avoid the various major disease outbreaks that might sweep through the population, all of which a noble-born bishop with a sturdy tower in the Archbishop's palace to retreat to during epidemics might hope to withstand.  (She says hopefully....  ;) )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

That sounds good. Archbishop of Rhemuth, Duncan McLain. Not yet enough time to have a Deryni Primate ... but everyone loves Duncan.

Evie

Quote from: Bynw on November 14, 2017, 10:26:34 AM
That sounds good. Archbishop of Rhemuth, Duncan McLain. Not yet enough time to have a Deryni Primate ... but everyone loves Duncan.

I would ask if Denis Arilan is still alive, but the prospect of a 70-something, older and even more crotchety Bishop of Dhassa (or wherever) is downright terrifying!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Hard to say. Probably wont be seen anyway (at least not right away.) But the Deryni priests he had begun to ordain in secret are no longer secret. Deryni are all around in the priesthood. Duncan will not be the only Deryni Bishop either. But right now there are no Deryni only Orders, eventually when the Healers make a big comeback their might be some. But not right now.

Laurna

Hmm. I had not considered time forward from KKB, I think this could be fun.

Bynw just a clarification. When I read Kelson was an old man, I was thinking he was in his eighty's and for some reason I miss-read it as his "Grandson's were in their Twenties." (I think that is the only way I could reconcile Alaric No Longer Here.)  :'(

Just let me know which generation we are dealing with? Children of Kelson and Alaric or Grand children, which generation would  be in their 20's. ( LOL 52 is not an old man: ie. Kenneth Morgan at 55 was still riding, traveling, and fighting. Albeit, he died at that age) :'( more tears.

On a more personal Character note, Bywn, may my character, Washburn, have a slight name change? Since he is the younger brother of the Earl of Lendour, he is either Kelric Morgans younger brother or he is Kelric Morgans younger son.  The name change would therefore be Washburn Alaric Cynfyn Morgan  ;D or Washburn Kelric Cynfyn Morgan.  ;D Or simply Washburn Cynfyn Morgan.  ;D .  How say you?

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on November 14, 2017, 12:39:13 PM

On a more personal Character note, Bywn, may my character, Washburn, have a slight name change? Since he is the younger brother of the Earl of Lendour, he is either Kelric Morgans younger brother or he is Kelric Morgans younger son.  The name change would therefore be Washburn Alaric Cynfyn Morgan  ;D or Washburn Kelric Cynfyn Morgan.  ;D Or simply Washburn Cynfyn Morgan.  ;D .  How say you?

Since I don't know that Bynw has had a chance to peruse our fanfic section yet, I suspect Laurna's reason for asking this is that Wash Cynfyn is already an established character in her fanfics, but as he is Alaric's ancestor, it might be a bit odd for him to suddenly pop up in a post-Alaric timeline. LOL! A namesake seems entirely plausible, though.

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Ok Ok.. Kelson isn't an old man but he is in his 50s somewhere. And in some cases of the Middle Ages that would be old. Life expectancy wasn't all that high. You can change the name the character that's fine by me.

Evie

For a nobleman who had managed to survive early childhood, fifty would fit squarely in the middle-age bracket (just as today), but many people in the modern world tend to forget that "higher/lower life expectancy" simply means a mathematical average.  If the life expectancy of people in a certain time period was, for example, 40, that didn't mean that they all (or even most) started dropping like flies when they got around that age. It simply meant that a greater percentage of the very young, very old, or otherwise weakened members of the population tended to die of things we would more likely be able to treat today, but the healthy survivors who made it to full adulthood were just as likely to end up dying of old age (sometimes extreme old age) as people do today.  There were just lots of different ways to die back then than we have today--a lot more deaths than nowadays due to trade-specific injuries, for example, not to mention unchecked epidemics.  But our average life expectancy in modern times is only something like 12 years or so higher than it was in the Victorian age, despite all of our advances in modern medicine, and that increase is in large part because we are able to prevent a much greater number of maternal and infant deaths in childbirth and early childhood deaths due to illness and accident than we used to be capable of preventing or treating. It has nothing to do with modern people being inherently more long-lived than people in earlier periods.

(Sorry, but the "medieval people tended to die a lot younger because reasons; therefore a 50 year old was 'really old' back then" myth is one that drives me a little batty!  ;D  That said, that might be truer if you were a hard-laboring field laborer with poor nutrition and little recourse to decent healthcare than if you were a wealthy man with servants, good nutrition, and at least some basic knowledge of herbal remedies for common, non-lethal complaints, but then again, the same would be true today.  I remember having to hide my shock when I met a girl I used to go to the same high school with a decade later, when we were both still in our 20s, and saw how dramatically she'd aged. I didn't recognize her until she reintroduced herself because she looked closer to 40, but that was due to hard living, not to mention a chain smoking habit developed in her teen years.  Someone with a hard life will have a lower life expectancy than someone with an easy life, but they both would have started off with pretty much even chances, assuming they were equally healthy and whole at birth.)

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

I stand corrected! :) And I have updated the King's age description.

Evie

How many sons does Kelson have, or have you worked all that out yet? I assume Javan is the heir now?

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Yeah, the low median lifespan of years before about 1950 was skewed by the very high infant/child mortality rate and the fairly high death rate from complications of childbirth.

Once cleaner/sterile medical care, vaccinations, contraception, and other advances in medicine came along, that median age started moving upward, but, for example, a medieval woman who survived her childbearing years was about as likely to live as long as women do today.  (Eleanor of Aquitaine lived to be past eighty.  We're not sure exactly how old because her exact year of birth isn't well documented, but she was somewhere between 82 and 84 when she died.  Not bad for a lady born in the twelfth century.)

We know this largely because of records from convents, where, of course, the great majority of the nuns never became pregnant, and they lived far longer than their secular counterparts.  We also have the phenomenon wherein one can tell that a noblewoman had realized she was pregnant because she would call for her will to be written in the event she didn't survive the pregnancy/birth/immediate postpartum period.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on November 14, 2017, 04:41:10 PM
How many sons does Kelson have, or have you worked all that out yet? I assume Javan is the heir now?

No idea, haven't really worked that out as it probably wont come into play right away. So things can be fudged a bit here and there.

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on November 14, 2017, 12:39:13 PM

He would be Kelric's younger brother. As Kleric is now still the Earl of Lendor and the Duke of Corwyn

Bynw

Me looking over the map and making some notes ....