The Deryni Series > The Histories of King Kelson

Portal erratica

(1/6) > >>

Tigersue:
Has anyone discussed or explained the portal discrepancy between the Quest for Saint Camber and King Kelson' s Bride?  In KKB it stats the library annex had only been discovered recently, yet it is mentioned in TQFSC with the veil already in place.  Any thoughts?

Evie:
I think there was some discussion of that in the comments of some early chapter(s) of my fanfic "Maidens of Mayhem" (and perhaps in a separate thread posted in the discussion area of the forum?), because that puzzled me as well when I was trying to research whether that portal was already discovered during the time period of my story. Unfortunately, I wrote that long enough ago that I no longer remember the particulars of that discussion, but that might give you a starting point if you want to dig through earlier posts in search of that conversation.

DesertRose:
I don't have my books handy, but while there are a few years between the events of The Quest for Saint Camber and those of King Kelson's Bride, the library annex Portal might have been new enough (or newly enough rediscovered and reactivated, if it's the remnant of the one Joram, Javan, et al. constructed in King Javan's Year) to be considered "recently put in place" even a few years later?

That's my guess, and I can't back it up because no books.  :(

Evie:

--- Quote from: DesertRose on November 01, 2017, 03:58:57 am ---I don't have my books handy, but while there are a few years between the events of The Quest for Saint Camber and those of King Kelson's Bride, the library annex Portal might have been new enough (or newly enough rediscovered and reactivated, if it's the remnant of the one Joram, Javan, et al. constructed in King Javan's Year) to be considered "recently put in place" even a few years later?

That's my guess, and I can't back it up because no books.  :(

--- End quote ---

IIRC, QFSC takes place in 1125 and KKB happens in 1128, so that's still pretty recent.  As I recall, my confusion came from Dhugal apparently not knowing about the hidden portal in the Library Annex until 3 years after it was built, which given his position as Kelson's foster brother rather than simply one of his dukes, I would have thought Kelson would have revealed this portal to him earlier. But then again, it could well be that young Duke Dhugal had a duchy to learn how to manage or something during that time (in addition to his Transha lands), and was therefore away from Rhemuth quite a bit.

Laurna:
The portal next to the Rhemuth Library is not a new one. We first see that portal in use by Ian Howell, Earl of Eastmarch in Deryni Rising. Chapter eleven, we read about Ian entering his chamber within the castle, he has just Mind-spoken to Charissa by using the power of a guard. She has assigned him to cause much trouble which is to be blamed upon Morgan. We then read:

--- Quote --- "Quickly, he stepped to the center of the room and gathered his cloak around him.  Then, murmuring the words of the spell Charissa had taught him, he made the proper pass in the air before him with an outstretched arm-- and disappeared."
--- End quote ---

As a reader we are fairly certain that this is the same portal that Charissa had used to get into Rhemuth to look in on Prince Kelson a little earlier that night. It is not explained why she entered the library to find Morgan there, but it is assumed that she ducked in to avoid guards while on her way to Ian's room with the portal. I believe this idea is confirmed later in KKB when Kelson turns the private chamber into the private Deryni library.

We also  see this portal used a few times in prehistory stories. I believe in KJY, it is used, however, I have not looked up the quote. I also know the room was used by Denis's brother, in the Priesting of Arilan. I believe we also see the portal being used by Michon DeCourcy and other Camberian Council members in the Child Morgan Trilogy. I am presuming that it is a very old Portal that is well known by the Cambarian Council, and more recently by the Festil's. I suspect this particular portal was not trapped but rather held in secret for only those in the Know to know about. Hense, Kelson, Morgan, and Duncan, would have discovered the portal sometime soon after Deryni Rissing. They would have held the room in secrete from all others until the room remodeling was complete. Dhugal would have had far too much on his hands to deal with that trivia. Remember, from the Bishop's Heir onward, Dhugal would have known about, and been taught to use, Duncan's study portal with its known safety to the user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version