• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Portal erratica

Started by Tigersue, October 31, 2017, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigersue

Has anyone discussed or explained the portal discrepancy between the Quest for Saint Camber and King Kelson' s Bride?  In KKB it stats the library annex had only been discovered recently, yet it is mentioned in TQFSC with the veil already in place.  Any thoughts?

If all else fails, get Sassy.

Evie

I think there was some discussion of that in the comments of some early chapter(s) of my fanfic "Maidens of Mayhem" (and perhaps in a separate thread posted in the discussion area of the forum?), because that puzzled me as well when I was trying to research whether that portal was already discovered during the time period of my story. Unfortunately, I wrote that long enough ago that I no longer remember the particulars of that discussion, but that might give you a starting point if you want to dig through earlier posts in search of that conversation.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

I don't have my books handy, but while there are a few years between the events of The Quest for Saint Camber and those of King Kelson's Bride, the library annex Portal might have been new enough (or newly enough rediscovered and reactivated, if it's the remnant of the one Joram, Javan, et al. constructed in King Javan's Year) to be considered "recently put in place" even a few years later?

That's my guess, and I can't back it up because no books.  :(
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on November 01, 2017, 03:58:57 AM
I don't have my books handy, but while there are a few years between the events of The Quest for Saint Camber and those of King Kelson's Bride, the library annex Portal might have been new enough (or newly enough rediscovered and reactivated, if it's the remnant of the one Joram, Javan, et al. constructed in King Javan's Year) to be considered "recently put in place" even a few years later?

That's my guess, and I can't back it up because no books.  :(

IIRC, QFSC takes place in 1125 and KKB happens in 1128, so that's still pretty recent.  As I recall, my confusion came from Dhugal apparently not knowing about the hidden portal in the Library Annex until 3 years after it was built, which given his position as Kelson's foster brother rather than simply one of his dukes, I would have thought Kelson would have revealed this portal to him earlier. But then again, it could well be that young Duke Dhugal had a duchy to learn how to manage or something during that time (in addition to his Transha lands), and was therefore away from Rhemuth quite a bit.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

The portal next to the Rhemuth Library is not a new one. We first see that portal in use by Ian Howell, Earl of Eastmarch in Deryni Rising. Chapter eleven, we read about Ian entering his chamber within the castle, he has just Mind-spoken to Charissa by using the power of a guard. She has assigned him to cause much trouble which is to be blamed upon Morgan. We then read:
Quote"Quickly, he stepped to the center of the room and gathered his cloak around him.  Then, murmuring the words of the spell Charissa had taught him, he made the proper pass in the air before him with an outstretched arm-- and disappeared."

As a reader we are fairly certain that this is the same portal that Charissa had used to get into Rhemuth to look in on Prince Kelson a little earlier that night. It is not explained why she entered the library to find Morgan there, but it is assumed that she ducked in to avoid guards while on her way to Ian's room with the portal. I believe this idea is confirmed later in KKB when Kelson turns the private chamber into the private Deryni library.

We also  see this portal used a few times in prehistory stories. I believe in KJY, it is used, however, I have not looked up the quote. I also know the room was used by Denis's brother, in the Priesting of Arilan. I believe we also see the portal being used by Michon DeCourcy and other Camberian Council members in the Child Morgan Trilogy. I am presuming that it is a very old Portal that is well known by the Cambarian Council, and more recently by the Festil's. I suspect this particular portal was not trapped but rather held in secret for only those in the Know to know about. Hense, Kelson, Morgan, and Duncan, would have discovered the portal sometime soon after Deryni Rissing. They would have held the room in secrete from all others until the room remodeling was complete. Dhugal would have had far too much on his hands to deal with that trivia. Remember, from the Bishop's Heir onward, Dhugal would have known about, and been taught to use, Duncan's study portal with its known safety to the user.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Completely aside from anything else in this discussion, I was quickly scrolling through the subject lines this morning and accidentally read this as "Portal erotica." Probably a venue of fanfiction best left unexplored (not to mention it would violate Forum fanfic guidelines)!  LOL!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

MidnightBlue

Quote from: Evie on November 02, 2017, 08:19:37 AM
Completely aside from anything else in this discussion, I was quickly scrolling through the subject lines this morning and accidentally read this as "Portal erotica." Probably a venue of fanfiction best left unexplored (not to mention it would violate Forum fanfic guidelines)!  LOL!   ;D

That's what I read the first time I saw it too.  Freudian slip of the mind I guess.

:)

Evie

Quote from: MidnightBlue on November 02, 2017, 08:20:50 AM
Quote from: Evie on November 02, 2017, 08:19:37 AM

That's what I read the first time I saw it too.  Freudian slip of the mind I guess.

:)

Duncan McLain Portaled into the hidden niche into his study. To his aghast amazement, he was far from alone.

"Damn it, cousin, how many times must I tell you that this is not an appropriate trysting place for you and your lady wife!"

Alaric flushed beet red as he detangled himself from the fair lady in question, who blushed as she averted her eyes from the glaring bishop while adjusting her skirts to preserve what little remained of her modesty. "Sorry, Duncan. We weren't expecting you back from Cassan until next Tuesday."

"Surprise!" Duncan growled as he stepped over the couple attempting to recover from their deshabille. Almost as if in afterthought, he draped his cloak over Richenda's shivering form. "Call me an unworldly innocent if you must, but I would have thought you two could find some place more comfortable than a two-by-foor foot wide hidden wall niche with a marble floor.  Maybe a barn loft filled with hay or something.  Worked well enough for me."  He stalked across the room to find that hidden flask of Old MacRorie whiskey.  He had seen far more of his fair cousin-in-law's charms than he was entirely comfortable with, and needed a stiff drink. Not to mention a memory banishing spell.  Again.  He was celibate, not dead!

;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

***Snicker, snicker,  snicker.***
Evie, it is a very good thing that you are a forum moderator.  Just saying...

Although... I don't think you can use a portal if someone else is standing... ummmm... laying..... on it.

Our Bishop would have been wondering why he was delayed for several minutes before he could even make the portal jump.
(Our couple must have shifted off to the side for him to do so.)   LOL.

whitelaughter

eh-hem...I dimly remember that when Dhugal is introduced to the portal, the room has been out of commission for a while as a doorway has been knocked into the wall between it and the library, nominally to extend the library but actually to make the Portal less public. Possibly the time delay in telling him is simply because the Portal was useless due to workmen, broken stone etc?

Laurna

I believe the quote you are referring to is this one.
Quote"Step forward now," he heard Kelson say, as if from far away, as pressure at his neck also urged him forward.
He stepped, sensing the faintest of resistance, as if moving against an upright screen of loosely stretched silk. Then the resistance gave way in a briefly felt surge of cold as they penetrated the Veil.
"We're through," Kelson said, releasing him and pushing aside another physical curtain on the other side. "I've been meaning to show you this, anyway."
Though he faltered in mid step, Dhugal stabilized immediately, opening his eyes to the sound of Kelson's fingers snapping and another flare of crimson-gold handfire blossoming above the king's opening hand. That light revealed a room perhaps a third the size of the one they had just left, with another reading desk set hard against the opposite wall, at right angles to a smaller window embrasure. More bookshelves lined the wall to the right. Well attuned now to the probability that the room shared in the magic by which they had entered, Dhugal caught the faint but decisive ripple of psychic energy that declared the presence of a live Tranfer Portal somewhere in the chamber.
  "I see you've felt it," Keson said, as Dhugal moved cautiously forward, feeling out the reverberations. "That's why the door was punched through, and why I've taken such extraordinary measures to guard it. Nigel and I discovered it several winters ago, while you were off in Transha. We were looking for a way to expand the library. This room had been disused and locked up for years-- and when we finally got it opened, we found out why. The Portal is centered there on the square flagstone. It's probably how Charissa got into the castle the night before my coronation."
  Dhugal crouched down and laid both hands flat on the stone, a thrill shivering up his spine as he locked the Portal's unique coordinates into memory.
  "No wonder she seemed able to come and go at will." he murmured, glancing up at Kelson.  "This is an old one--and it's still in use, isn't it?"
  "Not by me," Kelson said sourly. "I only know a few Portal locations-- the other two here in Rhemuth and the one in Valoret-- and Arilan's one in Dhassa, but he's forbidden to show me any others." He shook his head. "The Camberian Council had the audacity to demand access to the library--which I gave, at least to this new section, which houses all the references I've gathered on the Deryni. But in return, I got Arilan to help me set up that"--he gestured toward the Veiled doorway--"to keep them from wandering around the rest of the castle at will." He looked vaguely pleased with himself
KKB chapter two (It is always fun to reread KK's writings.)

The question to ask here, is Who locked the room up after Ian died. Since in Deryni Rising this room had been Ian Howell's chambers. I presume Ian's squire would have cleared his things out upon his death at Kelson's crowning. It is possible that Morgan discovered the room himself and locked it up. But if that were so he surely would have told Keslon about it. Therefore the only people left to know about the Tranfer Portal in that room would have been the CC members. they likely locked the room up from inside and then left by the portal. A few years passed and then Kelson and Nigel rediscovered the room while trying to enlarge the Library.

Evie

Quote from: whitelaughter on November 03, 2017, 09:22:37 AM
eh-hem...I dimly remember that when Dhugal is introduced to the portal, the room has been out of commission for a while as a doorway has been knocked into the wall between it and the library, nominally to extend the library but actually to make the Portal less public. Possibly the time delay in telling him is simply because the Portal was useless due to workmen, broken stone etc?

That's possible. Or even if the Portal wasn't precisely useless (I mean, it was still functional if absolutely needed), Kelson wouldn't want anyone popping in on the stonemasons unannounced, especially if they were human stonemasons with no reason to know they were doing anything more than creating an annex for the existing Library, and closing off the original door to the annex room in the process so it could only be accessed via the Library.  It seems plausible he would have wanted the entire work completed (including creating the unseen barrier between the rooms once the workmen no longer needed access to it) before re-opening the Portal for others to use. And placing John Nivard in the library as his Royal Librarian also adds an extra safeguard to unauthorized entry via that Portal in the interim.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Hours later an abashed Alaric knocked at the door of Duncan's study.
"May I come in?" Without waiting for an answer he pushed open the door and entered the room. Despite his embarrassment Alaric was smiling. Surely he and Duncan had known each other long enough for the unfortunate episode of earlier in the day to be readily forgiven. He was somewhat taken aback when Duncan glared at him from the depths of his chair and snarled gracelessly, "It appears you already have."

"Duncan, I..." he began, only to be interrupted by a tirade from his cousin.

"If I die of an ague, it will be entirely your fault. Taking a cold bath in November is fitted neither to my age or station." Duncan sniffed pathetically and then sighed. "I suppose it is unreasonable of me to ask why you and your lady wife cannot confine your ...er... connubial activities to the Ducal bed?"

Alaric's face turned deep red, "I was banned.", he muttered. "I, er, got carried away and forgot I was wearing my spurs."

Duncan's anger was replaced by what could only be described as a smirk. 'Her best linen sheets?".

"Much worse," Alaric ran his hands up his face into his hair. "Celsie gifted her a pair of silken sheets from Andelon. I think they had some sort of spellwork in them. Richenda claims it was to ensure a restful night, but when the two of them get together..."

"I don't supose you considered abstinence as an alternative?" Duncan's voice was stern but Alaric was relieved to note that he was clearly struggling to restrain a laugh. He shook his head sheepishly but smiled as finally he caught Duncan's eye. "Advent doesn't start for another four weeks, as I'm sure you know, my Lord Bishop. And on that note..." He reached under his cloak and pulled out a bottle of the best fianna red, and with a ceremonial flourish handed it to Duncan. "With my apologies, and thanks."
"Apoligies which come laced with good wine are always more acceptable," allowed Duncan, "but why the thanks?"
Alaric turned to go with a smile on his face. "Let's just say that the Ducal bedchamber is entirely free of unexpected episcopal visitations, and I am hopeful that my presence there tonight will not be unappreciated."
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Revanne? Evie? You are both so bad! LOL  LOVE IT!

When I stop laughing, I shall go back and do some research on the Original question posted.  Although it is hard to follow Alaric's banishment from the ducal bed and Duncan's forgiveness for having to "step over" same said duke in his Private Portal.  ;D ;D

Found some quotes from Quest for Saint Camber, chapter eight:
QuoteThe library was still and quiet as Conall entered---...
Kelson had even expanded the library since Brion's time, cutting a connecting doorway through to an adjacent room to house his growing collection. Conall remembered the uproar, two winters ago, when Kelson had had the work done, breaking through the thick interior wall and then sealing off the new room's former door from the outside corridor, so that access could only be had through the library. It seemed a great deal of trouble, when the library simply could have been moved to larger quarters, but perhaps Kelson wanted to retain the link with his father. Conall could understand that....
....Still puzzled, but impatient now, Conall moved on between the rows of shelves, heading for the second chamber. That was probably a better place to wait, just in case anyone came looking for some late-night reading. The temperature seemed to drop as he drew aside the heavy curtain across the connecting doorway and ducked to go through, but the feeling passed as he straightened on the other side.  Shelves had been added across the opposite wall since he last had been here, but the room was still barer than he had expected. He also thought he was alone until a silvery glow suddenly flared in the deep window embrasure and Tiercel stepped out, only his face visible against the dark stuff of his hooded cloak, lit by the sphere of handfire in his gloved left hand.
Tiercel then goes to show Conall the Transfer Portal in the center of the room.
Quote..."More specifically, that's the Transfer Portal that Charissa used to gain access to the library the night before your cousin Kelson's coronation. Morgan and Duncan found it a couple of years ago. That's why all this was done.
After a few portal jumps Conall asks:
Quote"Are there many Portals?"
"Not a great many, no. I'm aware of a few dozen-- but they're not all accessible to me." ...
... "That Portal in the library, than-- it can't be a Trap, because we wouldn't have been able to use it, but--is it warded to keep someone from leaving the vicinity?..."
"Very good," Tiercel said, nodding approval. "though you haven't got it exactly right. There's warding involved, but it's on the passageway connoting the Portal room with the old library. I'm surprised you didn't sense it when you came through."

So lets do a time line.
November 14, 1120 Charissa and Ian use this same Portal on separate occasions.
Some time soon after, the room is locked up by someone, we do not know who.
1123 Morgan and Duncan discover the room and portal according to TQFSC
1123-1124 Kelson and Nigel discovered the room according to KKB
At least two winters were spent remodeling the rooms.
January 6 1124 Duncan discovers that Dhugal is his son and is Deryni.
March 8, 1125 Tiercel teaches Conall about Transfer Portals using the Library portal.
June 28 1128 Kelson shows the Portal to Dhugal.

I can agree there seems to be a little discrepancy, but it can be explained by differing points of view in the story telling. Also take notice that there is no garderobe between the rooms in 1125 but there is one in 1128.  As to why Dhugal did not learn about the Portal until 1128 can only be explained as a slip of everyone's thoughts. I would guess since Dhugal would have learned Duncan's Portal, he would not have had need for the library and it's warded room. At least not until he had some Deryni training behind him to study the scrolls stored there.

Good Catch. It was one that I missed. 

Evie

The omitted mention of a garderobe when Conall went through the passage in 1125 could simply mean he took no special notice of it when he went through the short passage, not necessarily that it didn't exist at the time at all. Remember, Conall was only able to go completely through the passage into the annex due to his Haldane blood. Anyone else not a Haldane or given special permission to enter or leave the annex would simply have encountered a "stone" wall. Remember Meraude had no idea there was anything in that odd nook except for the garderobe; it was only Jehana who noticed something peculiar about the wall, being Deryni. (Though hmm...it occurs to me that Jehana shouldn't have been able to get through either, despite being Deryni, since she married into the Haldane line and wasn't born of Haldane blood. Maybe there was a Haldane further back in her family tree? Or is there some other detail I've forgotten? Try to solve one mystery and a new one pops up! LOL!) 

I tend to envision that short passage as one that (for those not in the know) appears to dead-end at a wall with a garderobe entrance (probably curtained) off to one side of that nook.  Jehana, standing outside that curtained entrance and directly in front of the entrance to the annex, just happened to be in the right place to notice that what appeared to be a solid wall before her actually wasn't, at least not to her. 

--WARNING!!!--