• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Questions Re: Character Creation

Started by Evie, October 28, 2017, 02:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Thanks, Bynw! This game looks interesting. I have a few questions about character creation that I need clarification on before I can come up with a character.  You wrote in the Character Creation thread:

QuoteCharacters are defined by a few choices to be made by the players in this game.

Step 1 - Determine if your character is a Human or a Deryni.
Step 2 - Pick 3 Traits.

And also....

Step 1 - Choose Race
Choose your race. In this game we only have 2 races to choose from (at least right now. If you want more we can add more.)

Human
Humans are everywhere and out number the Deryni. Although it is hard to tell the difference by appearance alone.  Humans cannot choose any of the (Deryni) only Traits.

A Human has
6 Hit Points
1 Additional Trait

Deryni
Deryni look just like Humans. However, they all have hereditary psionic/magical ability.

A Deryni has
6 Hit Points
Psionics Trait is automatic

OK, so just to make sure I am reading this correctly, does everyone start out with 3 traits of their choice (although Humans can only pick from the non-Deryni traits, but Deryni can pick any traits from the list), but Humans can pick a fourth trait, while Deryni don't get that option because Psionics is their automatic fourth trait?  Or is it that Deryni only get three starting traits period (in other words, Psionics + two other traits), while Humans, maybe to even out the playing field a little bit, get a fourth trait as compensation for not having any Deryni gifts? Knowing the answer to that might help me determine which traits to give my character, since my selections might be different if I will have four traits overall vs. if I only get 3 traits overall.

Also, if I am reading the traits list right, it looks like you've got Truth-Reading as a learned trait that only certain Deryni (perhaps with special training?) can do, as opposed to an innate Deryni trait that any Deryni can do (at least once out of early childhood and fully grown into their powers). Is that just to keep the Deryni PCs from having too much of an advantage over the human characters for game mechanics purposes? (I ask since in the books Truth-Reading is about the most rudimentary expression of Deryni power out there, and even completely untrained Deryni and/or Haldanes generally seem to have access to that one, if nothing else.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on October 28, 2017, 02:57:35 PM

OK, so just to make sure I am reading this correctly, does everyone start out with 3 traits of their choice (although Humans can only pick from the non-Deryni traits, but Deryni can pick any traits from the list), but Humans can pick a fourth trait, while Deryni don't get that option because Psionics is their automatic fourth trait?

This is the correct one. Everyone does get 3 traits of their choice. Human's get a 4th trait of their choice while Deryni have the 4th trait of Psionics.

Quote from: Evie on October 28, 2017, 02:57:35 PM
Also, if I am reading the traits list right, it looks like you've got Truth-Reading as a learned trait that only certain Deryni (perhaps with special training?) can do, as opposed to an innate Deryni trait that any Deryni can do (at least once out of early childhood and fully grown into their powers). Is that just to keep the Deryni PCs from having too much of an advantage over the human characters for game mechanics purposes? (I ask since in the books Truth-Reading is about the most rudimentary expression of Deryni power out there, and even completely untrained Deryni and/or Haldanes generally seem to have access to that one, if nothing else.)

I debated that and still kinda debating that. But it is a game balance thing too to prevent Deryni characters from having everything under the base Deryni trait.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Which Deryni time period are we playing in, or is this a different world that is just similar to the Eleven Kingdoms?  Or a different kingdom within the Eleven Kingdoms?  Knowing the setting and the likely challenges that might arise from it would be helpful for character creation.  (Any chance I might run into Duncan McLain?  Just kidding....   ;)  Actually, on second thought, not kidding. Running into beloved characters as occasional NPCs would be awesome!  ;D )

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

In addition to the questions I just posted above, what do you mean by "movement" (on the template)? I didn't see that mentioned in the character creation guide, though maybe I just missed it.

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Oops I forgot to include movement information, it's kinda fluid but 25 feet in a single action is a good rule of thumb.

I've been thinking about Truth Reading and possibly moving it into the base Psionics trait. I will let you all know soon. But moving is hectic so kinda out of sorts at the moment.

Bynw

I've modified the trait list. Psionics is now called Power and Truth Read is part of it, although now just a standard Test. Telekinesis has been moved to is own Trait.