• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Off Topic: New Job

Started by Elkhound, August 21, 2017, 08:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Over the past year or so I have been struggling with depression.  Normally, my depression hits me suddenly in response to a specific stressor, but this time it was more a matter of things grinding me so gradually that I didn't notice it--but other people did.  It impacted on my job performance to the point where I got fired; even after I produced a letter from my doctor confirming the diagnosis.  I've filed a grievance over it, which is still in progress.

The good news is that I have a new job.  I'm going to be an academic instructor for Horizons Youth Services, which runs our local Job Corps center.

For those who don't know what Job Corps is, it is a program for youth between 16 and 24 who are NEETs (Not in Education Employment or Training)--kids who have a HS diploma or less and either can't find work or steady work that can give them economic independence.  Such youth often also lack certain basic social coping skills.  This program provides a residential program that gives them the opportunity to complete a HS equivalency, get vocational training, and learn life-coping skills.

They were particularly interested in me because of my background in Library Science, as Librarianship really involves ALL subjects and also emphasizes individual instruction.

Tomorrow I'm going up to get the paperwork done and start the process of getting my background check and drug test.

The last time I was out of work, I was out for nearly two years.  This time it was about three months.

Laurna

Congratulations, this is wonderful.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Demercia

Delighted for you.  Good news for the youth too.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Jerusha

Very glad to hear the good news, Elkhound!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Congratulations!  Yay for being employed again!  I wish you well.  I hope the job is rewarding (for multiple values of "rewarding") and not too stressful.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Great news about the new job! Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I've been out of town and on the forum just long enough to post the chat transcript. But I had wondered how you were doing.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Good news! I have missed you and have been wondering how you were doing.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Laurna

Congrats, it will be a winning day!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Hope everything goes well for you with the new job! Congrats!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Lochiel

Hope your orientation went well. Having a job that helps people (or flora & fauna) is especially rewarding. 
Have you ever tried meditation? That may be something that should help you.
Best wishes!

"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

Elkhound

Unfortunately, things did not work out and I was put out on my. . . ear. . .after about a month and a half. 

They had me teaching MATH for half of every day--my WORST subject--and I was dealing with a class that was always obstreperous and was particularly bad that day, and I will admit that I lost my temper. 

Back to the drawing board!

I really hope I can get back with the State as I am less than two years away from being eligible for a pension.

Bifph

That's rough, Elk. I'm in my fifth position in the last 4.5 years. It's a tough slog.

Good thoughts coming your way. Keep your chin up and work every day on getting your next gig.