collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma News/Update/Check-In Thread  (Read 572 times)

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
Hurricane Irma News/Update/Check-In Thread
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »
Hiya.

So, as you may know, there is one big ol' storm heading towards Florida and the southeastern US coast; Irma has already wreaked massive havoc in the Caribbean  :'( , and it looks like we're next.

I am planning to leave tomorrow morning to go stay with a formerly-local SCA friend who has offered shelter (Formerly Local Friend lives outside Richmond, VA, these days) to a friend of hers (whom I don't actually know, but who is also in the SCA and is going to do the driving since I'm too ill to drive, and she has graciously offered to pick me up on her way out of town) and me and our respective pets.  The pets are my Carys-kitteh and Friend-of-Friend's mouse and fish; we are planning to keep Carys as far away from the mouse and fish as possible, since Carys was a street cat for some time before I adopted her, and I can't guarantee that she won't try to hunt Friend-of-Friend's pets and it would be awfully poor repayment of her kindness in driving me/Carys all the way to Virginia if my pet killed her pets!

I will be taking my laptop with me, and I will try to check in if I can.  I keep in touch with Evie pretty frequently even off forum, so if I can't update directly, I will let her know what's going on so she can pass on any news.  I also have off-forum contact information for Bynw, TheDeryni, revanne, and Demercia (and probably a few other regulars I'm not thinking of off the top of my stressed-out, storm-evacuation-prep-filled head), so someone should be able to pass on news if not Evie.

I would also like to invite anyone else in the path of the storm to use this thread as an update/news/check-in/are you alive and more or less okay? type thread.  (derynifanatic64, I'm looking specifically at you, because you're even more to the south than I am.  Check in if you can, please!  <3 Also applies to anyone else in Florida whose name is not coming to mind at the moment!)

Please pray/send healing thoughts/do whatever you do for everyone who has already been hit by this storm (and those who are still trying to recover from Harvey, in the Texas/Louisiana areas!) and for those who are in the path of it, and safe travels to those who are evacuating.  Be safe and well, everyone!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
Re: Hurricane Irma News/Update/Check-In Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:19:03 pm »
A very safe travel and evacuation to you DR. I am so glad you found a friend to drive you out of town. And I anticipate that Carys will be on her best behavior as usually pets are when they know the seriousness of their owners. I do hope your Dear Daughter and mother are also finding their way out of Florida to a safe locale.
Let us all concentrate our mental abilities on pushing Irma just a bit east of the projected line of travel, so it misses the southeast coastline.

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:15:22 pm »
A very safe travel and evacuation to you DR. I am so glad you found a friend to drive you out of town. And I anticipate that Carys will be on her best behavior as usually pets are when they know the seriousness of their owners. I do hope your Dear Daughter and mother are also finding their way out of Florida to a safe locale.
Let us all concentrate our mental abilities on pushing Irma just a bit east of the projected line of travel, so it misses the southeast coastline.

My parents plan to stay at their house, which may or may not be a great idea.  Normally, it'd probably be an okay idea, since they're on high ground (as "high ground" goes in coastal Florida) and not in a mandatory evacuation zone for anything less than an anticipated direct landfall from a Category 5 storm.  (Irma is presently a Category 5, with maximum sustained winds of 175 mph/280 km/h, but the storm is expected to weaken, although probably not lower than a Category 3 or 2, by the time it gets to northeastern Florida.)  But there has been a lot of rain lately and the ground around their house is pretty saturated, so I don't know how keen I am on them staying put, but they're grown and I don't get to tell them what to do.  :/

Kiddo might stay with my parents or might go with her bestie and family inland a ways.  Not sure.

Thanks!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:28:31 pm »
My Dad is in Melbourne and  as always, refused to leave his home.  Fortunately, the current projections show Irma farther west and reduced in strength.  He will have a caregiver staying with him, so he won't be alone and they  have him well stocked with supplies. 

Stress levels are still up a bit, nevertheless.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:05:49 pm »
So Interstate 95 northbound was basically a colossal pain, but once we crossed from South Carolina into North Carolina, the traffic reduced to reasonable levels, but by that point, Friend of Friend had been awake and driving since about 8:30 a.m., I'd been in the car since a little before 9:30 a.m. (and awake since about 3:30 a.m. because anxiety, probably), and it was probably around 8 p.m. when we got off 95 in southern North Carolina for supper, and we still had a ways to go.

We got to Friend's place around 1:30 this morning (Saturday, 9 September), unloaded the barest of necessities, and crashed.  Friend of Friend woke up before I did and graciously unloaded the rest of the car, so that I woke up to find my things right outside the door of the room where I'm sleeping.  (I'm keeping the door closed because Friend's gentleman caller, who lives here too, is probably allergic to cats, so Carys is chilling in there, and I go in and snuggle her from time to time.  She was markedly good about being stuck in her carrier for so long.)

Friend's Fellow went to an SCA event today, and the original plan had been that we would all go, but when it became apparent that Friend of Friend and I wouldn't get to Friend and Fellow's place until after midnight, Friend decided she'd sleep in and the three of us ladies would just hang out while Fellow went to the event because he'd committed to do some things.

Friend, Friend of Friend, and I goofed off this morning, had brunch in a cool little local diner, and then went to visit a museum in Richmond called Agecroft Hall.  http://www.agecrofthall.com/M.aspx?page=mhome

Seriously, y'all, if you have any interest at all in medieval Europe, particularly medieval/early Renaissance England, and you're ever in the Richmond area, GO.  (Admission is US$8 for basic adult admission; there are discounts for students, military, AAA members, and I think people over 60 or 65 or something.)  It.  Is.  Amazing.  Holy wow!

Then we came back to the apartment, took a nap, Fellow came home, and we all went to supper, and now we're just kind of hanging out.

Last I knew my family was fine.  My mom sent me a bunch of smart-mouthed signs in front of veterinarians' offices about "It's all fun and games until someone ends up in The Cone," and the like.

So even though the trip was a pain in the neck, and the reason for having to go at all is kind of not cool, the stay itself is so far pretty freaking awesome.  :D

Online Lochiel

• Knight/Dame
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Javan Haldane (Stefan Coram)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:19 am »
Glad you & your family are ok DR.  That museum sure looks like its worth a visit.  Best wishes to you and everyone else who have family/friends & property in the path of the Hurricane
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:22:38 pm »
From what I saw on TV, the drive out of Florida looked to be going nowhere fast, or rather elsewhere at no speed at all. So glad that part of your spontaneous vacation was survived. What a wonderful treat to have two ladies and a gent for company. Enjoy your time away from home. and hopefully the rain and wind won't find you that far north. Give Carys a soothing petting from me.

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 03:53:33 pm »
How are all the Floridian residents doing?  Is everyone safe, are everyone's homes and family's good?
Warmest thoughts that all is well and power will be back on soon.

Evie, looks like you are in it today. How is the rainfall? Stay dry my lady.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:01:57 am »
We barely got anything left from Irma by the time she got to the county where I live. It was mainly rain, cold (the temperature dropped something like 15 to 20 degrees between Sunday and Monday), and a few gusts, but nothing beyond what we normally get with a strong thunderstorm. Only we didn't even get lightning and thunder, just miserably cold drizzle and rain.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you, all things considered!   ;D  Irma did hit the southeastern counties in Alabama a bit harder, so we had some trees down and power outages there, it's just that by the time she reached Birmingham, she'd pretty much played out.  My big worry is that so many schools and businesses closed in anticipation of Irma being a major big deal and then she didn't turn out to be the monster storm here that people were expecting, so now I'm concerned that when we have the next severe weather warning, people might ignore it thinking we're just going to get more of the same and that it's not worth taking precautions over. Because, y'know, people.   :-\
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline derynifanatic64

• Earl/Countess
  • Uncle Mark Rules!!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:11 pm »
I have survived Irma while never losing power--just 1 shingle from the roof.  My sister and her husband are with me because their power may be out until this weekend.  DesertRose is back home from Virginia this morning.  Her home is fine but she is WIPED OUT!!  But we are doing fine!!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »
My Dad survived just fine in Melbourne.  His phone is still out, so I had to check in with his caregivers to make sure his is OK, but he has electrical power and all is well.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 11:04:43 pm »
Yeah, rolled into my apartment complex parking lot a little before 5 a.m. this morning (Wednesday, 13 Sept.).

Worn the entire [expletive deleted] out.  Richmond and hanging out with my hosts and Friend who drove was awesome.  The reasons for the trip and the drives there and back themselves. . .not so awesome.

Yesterday evening, it took us seven hours to get through South Carolina.  We did stop for supper and to refuel the car, but that took maybe 40 minutes total.  Interstate 95 through South Carolina is just under 200 miles.  That.  Is.  Ridiculous.

But yes.  I'm home, I'm safe, Carys-kitteh is safe and was very well-behaved, charming, and sweet the whole time, and my apartment has minor damage only that's honestly more along the lines of aggravation of an existing problem.  Basically, the window area in my bedroom has had a leak for a while.  The building maintenance staff have attempted to repair it at least twice that I recall, plus a couple of years ago, an independent contractor was hired to pressure-wash the exterior of the building, and they also tried to fix the leak.  And building maintenance tried again in late July-early August of this year to fix the leak.  It's still leaking.  I think one of two things is happening; either the sealant isn't getting a chance to dry/cure completely and thus the repair doesn't hold, or they think the source of the leak is somewhere other than its actual location, so they're attempting to repair the wrong thing. 

Anyway, the bedroom windowsill is wet.  Oh well.  And management/maintenance are aware, so we'll see if they actually get the [expletive deleted] thing fixed this time.

But yeah.  Mostly okay here.

And I totally nagged derynifanatic64 into posting that he and his were okay, because I was the Mom Friend long before that expression entered the lexicon.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 03:04:43 am »
Sleep tight in your own bed tonight, and wake up to end of summer sunshine!
I am glad to hear you are home.

Offline judywward

• Squire
  • Favorite Book: I have to pick?
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Anthony Morgan
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:42 am »
I'm glad to hear all are OK so far in FL & GA, etc.  DR, hope you can get some good rest now that you are home, leaky window not withstanding.
Judy Ward

Offline judywward

• Squire
  • Favorite Book: I have to pick?
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Anthony Morgan
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:59 am »
I'm glad to hear all are OK so far in FL & GA, etc.  DR, hope you can get some good rest now that you are home, leaky window not withstanding.
Judy Ward

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Evie's daughter's mystery allergy by MidnightBlue
[Today at 07:33:48 am]

Re: Evie's daughter's mystery allergy by Jerusha
[November 20, 2017, 07:21:49 pm]

Re: Evie's daughter's mystery allergy by Evie
[November 20, 2017, 04:05:03 pm]

Re: Evie's daughter's mystery allergy by Laurna
[November 20, 2017, 02:07:23 pm]

Re: Evie's daughter's mystery allergy by Evie
[November 20, 2017, 12:48:59 pm]

* Who's Online