• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Well since Evie brought it up. I did find this Critical fumble table in one of the other Tiny 6 rule books.

Critical Fumble Table
If you ever roll all "1s" on your Test, roll 3d6 and consult the below table:
3: You accidentally harm yourself. Take 1 damage.
4: You drop whatever you are holding due to the pain.
5: You stumble and fall. You must spend an action to stand back up.
6: You accidentally break or ruin a tool you are using or carrying.
7: You accidentally cause a random ally to drop something they're carrying.
8: You accidentally offend someone you shouldn't have.
9: You make a mistake and forget your next step in the plan.
10: You're off balance. The next time you Test, you have disadvantage.
11: You unintentionally mislead someone. Give an NPC or player bad info.
12: You accidentally break a minor law you were unaware of.
13: The equipment was faulty and causes a glitch that causes a random detour.
14: You accidentally misplace 1d6 Gold Coins.
15: You find something that belongs to someone else.
16: You accidentally harm an ally. Deal them 1 damage.
17: The next person you kill wasn't who you thought they were.
18: You deal yourself 2 damage on accident.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Oh Nooooo!   To the critical list above. LOL Lots in there that we DO NOT Want to happen.

I think we need someone to play Austin for his next two moves (recovery from the fall and attack/ or recovery and run). Bynw or Evie  or even Jerusha. Who wants to play Austin? I certainly do not.

Oh and sorry, I will miss chat today.  I am off to a Christmas Tea and will be back late this evening.  Every one have a good chat and please tell KK Happy Yuletide for me.  Thanks.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

LOL, I think the entire point of a Critical Fumble table is that things happen that you don't want to have happen!  But that said, this looks like a list that really only works under combat situations and the like. For instance, when I rolled the double 1 rolls, I was just trying to shapeshift back into my assumed form after briefly showing my true identity to someone. There really wouldn't be any way to realistically incorporate any (or at least most) of these consequences into the story in a way that would make sense. Me failing to shift back into my disguised form is hardly likely to make my ally in that scene (Columcil) drop any object, or cause him harm in some way, and there wasn't any opponent or enemy around during that scene. So using a Critical Fumble table only makes sense if the circumstances of the scene are such that the sort of mishaps on the list can actually happen. I prefer the idea of using an "all ones" roll as meaning you somehow failed badly in what you tried to do, but write the scene to reflect that failure in such a way that it makes sense for that particular situation you were rolling for.

Had a busy weekend, so I'll have to take a look at the game thread to see what I've missed. But I don't mind writing from Austin's POV if needed.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

I never thought to roll the dice to see if Austin survived the fall from the horse.  Probably because I thought is was somewhat controlled versus "how did that happen?"  If he had died, it would not have been much of a scene.  No, wait.  Washburn could have done a death reading, and what would Darcy have thought about that!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Given that anger is one of Columcil's Traits do I get an advantage for that.?  He is already feeling very protective towards Aliset.

Also is the monastery they are taking Austin in Culdi or the church where Aliset and Columcil are taking refuge?
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on December 18, 2017, 05:57:28 AM
I never thought to roll the dice to see if Austin survived the fall from the horse.  Probably because I thought is was somewhat controlled versus "how did that happen?"  If he had died, it would not have been much of a scene.  No, wait.  Washburn could have done a death reading, and what would Darcy have thought about that!

LOL! I wanted to see if he would land on that injured shoulder with the dagger in it and harm himself further, or nick an artery and bleed out.  Since, you know, Washburn so obligingly skewered him for us....   ;D  But that's fine; I'm sure all that rolling around on it didn't help matters any for him!

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: revanne on December 18, 2017, 06:28:44 AM

Also is the monastery they are taking Austin in Culdi or the church where Aliset and Columcil are taking refuge?

LOL!  Oops! Did we forget where we are this round?  Um, maybe they've taken shelter in the church associated with another monastery along the way? (Though that wouldn't make much sense since surely a monastery would have a guesthouse.) Or maybe we should edit the past few scenes to say "church" rather than "monastery," in which case I will also need to edit Austin's expectations accordingly, since a church wouldn't have an infirmary.  Or maybe there's another monastery nearby that Wash and Darcy are dragging Austin off to, which is just a bit further down the road than they initially wanted to go before stopping for the night? (Though that also wouldn't make much sense, given we were being pursued. Why would we want to sleep in a less secure church rather than sleeping in a presumably walled-in monastery?) I agree this needs clarification one way or another.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: revanne on December 18, 2017, 06:28:44 AM
Given that anger is one of Columcil's Traits do I get an advantage for that.?  He is already feeling very protective towards Aliset.

Looking at that trait on your character profile, it says "When you are down to your last hit point, your anger-fueled attacks do 2 Hit Points of damage. You cannot flee, stop fighting, or heal yourself until the encounter is over."  So my read on this is that basically when you are badly wounded (down to your last hit point), you basically go into berserker mode, and any successful hits on your enemy during that round cause double damage to him. 

The downside is that once this "berserker" mode kicks in, you can't flee, stop fighting, or heal yourself until the fighting ends. (In which case, let's hope they haven't managed to get a blow in to eliminate your last hit point first, or you might end up needing to use your Hero Point to survive, or one of us might need to suddenly discover a Healing gift or have some spell handy that can restore enough health to you to let you Heal yourself properly!)

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Of course, you're welcome to fly into a rage-fueled attack on Aliset's behalf anytime. It's just not going to give you any special advantage to do so until you're nearly on death's doorstep.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Oops, my bad.  It should be the church they just came from.  I don't know why I turned it into a monastery; maybe a slip of the brain due to the monk's habits they were wearing. 

I'll edit it back to the appropriate church. 

On second thought, I changed it to "back with us."  There could be issues with them showing up without their habits and dragging a wounded prisoner.  This still could happen, but I thought leaving other options open was the better way to go.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Hey, Bynw, who does Austin answer to directly? Or is that up to us?  In what I wrote earlier, I was assuming he reports directly to whoever is pulling the strings behind Oswald's power grab, but I don't know if you have a particular as-yet-unintroduced shadowy figure in mind for that, or if we can just expand on that as we see fit.

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Evie, Is Alister still dressed as a monk? Does he/she have the hood up or down? Or is he/she in normal cloths?
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

I am wondering who might be left to be a threat in Meara? Laurna, you're the geneologist, what do you reckon?
(Psalm 46 v1)