• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

Quote from: revanne on February 14, 2018, 04:04:25 PM
Go Aildidh.

You've got to cheer for the red-haired lady with spirit.  Woo hoo!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on February 17, 2018, 01:44:13 AM
...The tensions of a few days ago - blessed saints it felt like weeks!- had gone...

LOL Dare I say 'days that felt like Months!'  lol OK, many, many weeks.  :P  and still having fun.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Ack poor Darcy. Still at least he gets to have a private conversation with Father Columcil.
Incidentally Spean is pronounced Spe -an, he is named after a very beautiful river in Scotland.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on February 17, 2018, 10:41:54 PM
Ack poor Darcy. Still at least he gets to have a private conversation with Father Columcil.
Incidentally Spean is pronounced Spe -an, he is named after a very beautiful river in Scotland.
Thanks for the info on Spe-an. I would not have guessed that. I want to go to Scotland. My sister and her fiancee were at the Scottish festival and highland games today. I missed going.  should have been fun.

Laurna

Before I start writing. can I have approval for a royal marriage between Grania Morgan and Javan Haldane.  If both had been born in 1130 than they both would have been married around 1148-9 it would have been a marriage of friendship and love. having grown up with the families so close. If Grania has a 5 year old son in 1164, (this would be Washburn's nephew who borrowed his ward cubes) he would not be the eldest son, and not the heir. I am looking for a Good Haldane/Morgan name for this child. Any thoughts?

revanne

I would think such a marriage would please all parties. For a name how about Kenneth or even Rhys, to honour the rediscovery of the gift of healing, assuming that by now some of the scrolls hidden in Sheele by Evaine and Rhys have been rediscovered.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

That sounds like a good match.  How about Anthony for a name, in honor of both Alaric and Kelson?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

I hope I haven't offended Washburn and Aliset but Columcil has been seething since Jerusha posted. He still quite fancies tipping Lord Jaxom off his horse.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on February 18, 2018, 01:26:34 PM
Before I start writing. can I have approval for a royal marriage between Grania Morgan and Javan Haldane.  If both had been born in 1130 than they both would have been married around 1148-9 it would have been a marriage of friendship and love. having grown up with the families so close. If Grania has a 5 year old son in 1164, (this would be Washburn's nephew who borrowed his ward cubes) he would not be the eldest son, and not the heir. I am looking for a Good Haldane/Morgan name for this child. Any thoughts?

I like Brion Kenneth (with maybe one more given name, perhaps Anthony), but I also like that because I have a cousin whose given names are Brian Kenneth.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on February 18, 2018, 04:49:37 PM
I hope I haven't offended Washburn and Aliset but Columcil has been seething since Jerusha posted. He still quite fancies tipping Lord Jaxom off his horse.

As you wrote in your most recent post, the dismissive way Washburn and Aliset have treated Darcy was not at all intentional (much less malicious).  It seems like they all have bigger fish to fry and the good knight and lady got distracted from their generally better behavior standards.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on February 18, 2018, 05:07:02 PM
Quote from: revanne on February 18, 2018, 04:49:37 PM

As you wrote in your most recent post, the dismissive way Washburn and Aliset have treated Darcy was not at all intentional (much less malicious).  It seems like they all have bigger fish to fry and the good knight and lady got distracted from their generally better behavior standards.  ;)

I think Aliset would not be offended, just deeply remorseful once she realized there was a problem. As one born and bred to the nobility (albeit the lowest rung of nobility), she was raised with the expectation of being able to think for herself and give orders.  But then again, being of the lowest rung of nobility, she is equally used to deferring to the higher-ups.  So when another nobleman of her own station (or roughly so) comes along, she'd instinctively respond to her societal class equal as she's long been accustomed to, although probably deferring to Trillick since he is male (and ladies are expected to defer to lords) and to Wash as being a duke's son and higher in rank than herself, so therefore the unquestioned leader. It's the system to which she has been acclimated since birth.  But yes, before Trillick came along, there was a more equalitarian dynamic growing in the party that was more inclusive of Darcy and Columcil, which would have developed completely without conscious thought of it because they all have different strengths and weaknesses to bring to the table, and much rely on each other to survive.  Once Aliset comes to realize that excluding Darcy once Trillick shows up comes across as dismissive (even though that wasn't their intent at all), I think she would make more of an effort to include him in decision making, having come to respect and trust him.  But a lifetime of being raised as part of the ruling class creates habits that are more instinctive than conscious.  (Medieval privilege before the modern concept of privilege was a thing anyone would have even given a passing thought, because social roles were so ingrained no one would have considered society could be any other way.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DerynifanK

I don't think  that either Wash or Aliset meant to exclude Darcy and I'M sure they will be more concious of his feelings, However they'really not out of the woods yet and have to be focused on reaching Rhemuth safely . I like  Kenneth Anthony for a name for a son of Javan and Grania.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

It is the sudden change in dynamics that is the problem. Also, although Columcil does not question hierarchies, he is a borderer and unconciously he has begun to think of the little group as operating as members of a clan with Washburn as the chief, with the all  power of command that implies but also a freer social interchange than would be found elsewhere.

He is also busy doing calculations and wondering why young Lord Trillick took so long to show up. Oh dear; our good priest is learning to have a suspicious mind.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Thank you for all the names. I had originally thought of naming the boy Brion, however, I really like all your suggestions of Kenneth. So how about Kenneth Brion Anthony Haldane. I was thinking Javan's first son could be Rhys-Alaric Kelson Haldane. I do not know if the first son will make it into the story, but I will put his name out there just in case.

As for the lapse of Wash not including Darcy, I want to believe it was entirely unintentional. Wash knows his rank alone puts him in a leadership roll. Rather, his Father's reputation does this, even more so than his personal rank. However, that only goes so far. Everyone will compare him: Is he his father's son or is he just a rich boy living on other's deeds.  Since he would never be a man who rules with cruelty and fear, Wash knows he has to earn other's respect and their loyalty in order to be an effective leader. He definitely respects each person in our group; he appreciates the intellect and skills that each of them adds to the group's success. It is not them or their skills that he is currently concerned about. Rather instead, he personally feels that he has failed those who are relying on him. The job of a knight and a nobleman is to protect. Up to this moment, he has failed in his roll as protector. Lord Trillek becomes an added level of protection to resolving the current crisis.

Let me see if I can work with Wash to get him to acknowledged his companions without losing their respect.

DerynifanK

"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance