• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 360
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 02:25:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Evie, in Balance of Power, didn't you have Morgan and Jen drive the road to Cuiltreine to find the lion brooch. Didn't they pass saint Brigid's and the country side was very mountainous? Didn't you have that at a 4 or 5 hour drive. With Morgan's speeding at 80mph?  Ok, he likely was not speeding through the mountains. It just looked that way in the good looking black Griphon sports car.  :P
May your horses have wings and fly!

Laurna

This is a part of the map from The King's Deryni. I believe this is the most recent map available.
This map does not show Droghera yet it does show Arx Fidei.

Using the key on the map, from Culdi to Droghera is 25 miles as the crow fly's. Our characters moved slow the first day, stopping for many breaks, they also took a detour into Adam Trillick's estate. So lets say then did ten miles plus a mile or two off the main road to the estate. Which is not an official place on the map. (I just made that one up.) The second day we got back onto the main road cantered until noon. Lets say two miles to get to the road then ten miles. Stopped for a long while to take care of the amulet.  Then galloped five miles to reach the gates of Droghera, It was still day light when they got there.  So they could have traveled much further that day had it not been for a few well aimed cross-bolts. At least we/they survived.

Back to the maps: From Droghera to Cuiltreine it looks to be 30 miles as the crow fly's. From Cuiltreine to Arx Fidei it looks to be 45 miles. From Arx Fidei to Rhemuth looks to be 40 miles. I assume the road through the lowlands will be fairly straight.

A straight line from Droghera thru Arx Fidei to Rhemuth looks to be  80 miles. So cutting south and skipping Cuiltreine is a shorter distance. It is less likely to be inhabited by the bad guys, since they would expect us to follow the main road. The drawback is we would be traveling on smaller country roads that may wind in and out of farms and maybe quite rutted and uneven from carts. We are just four riders, we/they should be able to handle that.  What do you think?

Quoted from my favorite site on how far can a horse travel in a 10 hour riding day.
https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=19730

On Roads / trails:
   Level or rolling terrain: 40miles    Hilly terrain: 30miles    Mountainous terrain: 20miles

Off-Road (or unkempt trails etc)
Level/rolling grasslands: 30miles    Hilly grasslands: 25miles    Level/rolling forest/thick scrub: 20miles   
Very hilly forest/thick scrub: 15miles

Un-blazed Mountain passes: 10miles      Marshland: 10miles

Assumptions:
An average quality horse, of a breed suitable for riding, conditioned for overland travel and in good condition.
Roads and trails are in good condition and up kept by whatever local authority deals with them.
Weather is good to fair, and travelers are riding for around ten hours a day.

revanne

I would think that mountain byways are likely to be little more than tracks but less rutted than more well used highways. Assuming the weather to have been an averagely dry summer, and again assuming that the rain comes in off the western ocean as it does in Britain so that the eastern side of the mountains are in a rain shadow, then the going should be fair to good.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 23, 2018, 10:26:50 PM
Evie, in Balance of Power, didn't you have Morgan and Jen drive the road to Cuiltreine to find the lion brooch. Didn't they pass saint Brigid's and the country side was very mountainous? Didn't you have that at a 4 or 5 hour drive. With Morgan's speeding at 80mph?  Ok, he likely was not speeding through the mountains. It just looked that way in the good looking black Griphon sports car.  :P

He was going that fast before they got to the mountains, when they passed the road leading to Arx Fidel (much to Jen's regret). Considering how Duke Henri died, I'm sure Morgan slowed down considerably once he was in the actual mountain pass, though maybe not as slow as Jen might have wished on a mountain road.   ;D  Also, the road they were on went up along the side of the mountain itself, not just in the valley below, so they were probably several hundred feet above the valley trail that our adventurers are taking.  It would probably have taken modern road-making equipment to create the highway that Morgan and Jen took in BoP, but that route might be the more preferred one in modern times, or at least an alternate route through the pass if the river that winds through that valley is prone to springtime flooding.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 24, 2018, 03:25:38 AM

A straight line from Droghera thru Arx Fidei to Rhemuth looks to be  80 miles. So cutting south and skipping Cuiltreine is a shorter distance. It is less likely to be inhabited by the bad guys, since they would expect us to follow the main road. The drawback is we would be traveling on smaller country roads that may wind in and out of farms and maybe quite rutted and uneven from carts. We are just four riders, we/they should be able to handle that.  What do you think?

I think our adventurers would go the shortest (or at least the fastest) route possible in order to maximize their chances of surviving long enough to get to Rhemuth.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

I will try to edit this map to show places where we go. It will be in the gallery under fan projects.

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on January 24, 2018, 02:38:10 PM

I will try to edit this map to show places where we go. It will be in the gallery under fan projects.

Thanks, that is really helpful.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Let see, Begun on Nov 26, 2017, up to today 1/26/2018, my computer counts about 82,000 words written and 201 posts done by 5 writers. That is pretty good.

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 27, 2018, 03:32:30 AM
Let see, Begun on Nov 26, 2017, up to today 1/26/2018, my computer counts about 82,000 words written and 201 posts done by 5 writers. That is pretty good.

So basically we've already reached novel length, but we're still at best only halfway to Rhemuth?  Yeah, that sounds about right....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Opps Sorry Revanne, You beat me too it by like five minutes. I have been typing for a bit now and I think what I wrote fits smoothly right before what you just posted. If you could just re-post it after mine that would work perfectly.  Thanks.

revanne

I've moved mine to after yours where it follows on so smoothly that you'd think we wrote them together.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on February 03, 2018, 08:00:57 AM
((Doing a bit of sheep dog here and rounding us all up into that tavern))

revanne, I think what you're doing is more akin to cat-herding!  ;D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Quote from: DesertRose on February 03, 2018, 09:44:05 AM

ROFL. True indeed. I didn't say the sheep dog was any good.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on February 03, 2018, 10:01:43 AM

ROFL. True indeed. I didn't say the sheep dog was any good.

I'd imagine a sheepdog would get pretty confused if s/he attempted to herd cats, independent-minded critters that cats are!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

LOL  Meow!  LOL