• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 17, 2018, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: revanne on January 17, 2018, 03:17:32 PM

I would think it certain that Dhugal would have a portal in Ballymar. Or maybe the courier would go first to Culdi to see if Duncan Michael is there (assuming we may co-opt him Evie?) -it would be quite reasonable to assume that Duncan Michael would have his own household by now and would very likely be based in CuldI when he wasn't at court. In which case he might take the letter to his father by portal from there to Ballymar.

Let me add that I believe that none of the nobles with any cloat would  have been in Culdi at the time Aliset arrived, or she would have gone directly to them. I want to say that his grace Dhugal is having a summer feast in Ballimar and all the nobles of Cassan are there injoying their Dukes hospitality.

I'm not sure, whether there was anyone of note in Culdi or not, that Aliset would have had any way to know that for certain if they were in residence or not.  After all, it's not like they had TV news, internet access, or any other means of near-instantaneous communication we take for granted nowadays. She might simply have given Culdi a pass because there might be someone in residence there she could trust, or might not, but there would certainly be someone she could turn to for help in Rhemuth. It's not like Kelson gets to go on holiday very often, and if he has to leave Rhemuth for some reason, he leaves a regent in his place (is Nigel still alive, or would that be Araxie or Javan nowadays), so in any case there's a 0% likelihood of turning up at Rhemuth and finding Rhemuth Castle locked up and no one at home.   ;D

Another reason Aliset might have chosen to go straight to Rhemuth could be that she isn't certain which of the local nobility she can trust anymore, or also she might have figured her pursuers would think she'd certainly go to her closer allies first, so they've taken pains to block the routes to those towns, leaving her with little choice but go directly to Rhemuth for aid.  Since they didn't expect her to go that far off, they might not have thought to block that route until too late, and it's not like Kelson is likely to turn out to be a Mearan separatist!  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on January 17, 2018, 12:38:57 PM

Quote from:  Jerushawill Washburn be having his head completely shaved?

you couln't forget about that part, could ya.  hehe.  No the man (or rather his author) loves his hair too much to go completely bald. He is going to comb his hair back and hope the spot grows in quickly. :P

LOL!  All of this to-do over a tiny coin-sized tonsure!  This is Gwynedd, not medieval Europe; it's not like he had to shave half his head or anything!  Geez!  Male vanity....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 17, 2018, 04:03:57 PM
Quote from: Laurna on January 16, 2018, 04:16:25 PM

Let me add that Wash sent off a letter to Dhugal, only just that morning, (that was a very very long day), I want to do a little story to see if the courier makes it to Balimar or if he gets way laid. How many days from Culdi to Balimar if  the courier is moving fast.  Would there be a private portal for Dhugal to use, if the letter reaches him. Although the letter may not spark enough concern to inform Kelson, not yet, however, it should have Dhugal looking into the Oswald problem. Maybe we can get Jass involved. ;D

I would think it certain that Dhugal would have a portal in Ballymar. Or maybe the courier would go first to Culdi to see if Duncan Michael is there (assuming we may co-opt him Evie?) -it would be quite reasonable to assume that Duncan Michael would have his own household by now and would very likely be based in CuldI when he wasn't at court. In which case he might take the letter to his father by portal from there to Ballymar.

Duncan Michael almost certainly has his own household by now, but as he is Earl of Kierney, wouldn't it be in Kierney somewhere instead?
I'm sure you're right although I'm sure there would have been some Ducal residence retained in Culdi.

Useless bit of information - the Duke of Devonshire lives in Derbyshire ( half the length of England away) but that's only because someone misread the writ for the first Duke. He was supposed to be Duke of Derbyshire.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 17, 2018, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 17, 2018, 04:03:57 PM
Quote from: Laurna on January 16, 2018, 04:16:25 PM

Let me add that Wash sent off a letter to Dhugal, only just that morning, (that was a very very long day), I want to do a little story to see if the courier makes it to Balimar or if he gets way laid. How many days from Culdi to Balimar if  the courier is moving fast.  Would there be a private portal for Dhugal to use, if the letter reaches him. Although the letter may not spark enough concern to inform Kelson, not yet, however, it should have Dhugal looking into the Oswald problem. Maybe we can get Jass involved. ;D

Duncan Michael almost certainly has his own household by now, but as he is Earl of Kierney, wouldn't it be in Kierney somewhere instead?
I'm sure you're right although I'm sure there would have been some Ducal residence retained in Culdi.

Useless bit of information - the Duke of Devonshire lives in Derbyshire ( half the length of England away) but that's only because someone misread the writ for the first Duke. He was supposed to be Duke of Derbyshire.

LOL!  That's great!  ;D

Culdi has been a source of confusion to me ever since I first got the Codex.  (And not just me; AnnieUK and Alkari also puzzled over the same questions.)  Yes, in the books we see Jared has established it as a summer home, so it would seem to be part of Cassan, or so one would think.  But when you look in the Codex, you find out that Culdi actually belongs to either Araxie or her sister, I forget which one inherited it from Duke Richard.  So if one of them is the hereditary Countess of Culdi, then why is it that Jared spends so much time there if it's not even his ducal seat?  (Or if it is his ducal seat, then why isn't it located in his duchy, and how can it be both his and Prince Richard Haldane's land at the same time?)  So either the Codex is in error, or maybe the Dukes of Cassan own a home there but it's not their earldom, or Culdi started off as the seat of the Dukes of Cassan but somewhere along the way KK had a different idea for it?  I have no clue, so until KK can clarify the question, I tend to think of Jared's home there as being a second home.  Maybe he was deputized by Prince Richard to look after Culdi in a caretaker role since Richard had to spend most of his time in Rhemuth, like Derry (who has his own earldom) acts as lieutenant for Corwyn in Alaric's absences?  That would make sense to me as a way of resolving the apparent conflict between novels and Codex, but would mean that the current Duke of Cassan might not necessarily hold the same responsibility for Culdi unless its present Countess also chooses to make him her lieutenant there.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Darcy lowered himself into the water.  With a practised move, he untied his border braid, ran his fingers through it to set the pale hair free, and dunked his head under the water.

Washburn felt a pang of envy.

This got me. I literally laughed out loud at this!  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 17, 2018, 09:57:58 PM
Darcy lowered himself into the water.  With a practised move, he untied his border braid, ran his fingers through it to set the pale hair free, and dunked his head under the water.

Maybe Wash could practice his healing skills on regrowing his hair. What could go wrong?
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 17, 2018, 10:00:44 PM

Maybe Wash could practice his healing skills on regrowing his hair. What could go wrong?

Use the chatroom dice, Laurna. Otherwise you might roll snake eyes and just grow Wash's tonsure instead!  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I simply could not resist.   ;)

And revanne, I'm glad you liked it.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DerynifanK

Glad they have ward cubes. Can't say I like Kelric's duchess much.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Evie

Quote from: DerynifanK on January 18, 2018, 08:11:48 AM
Glad they have ward cubes. Can't say I like Kelric's duchess much.

Yeah, I'm hoping she's just being momentarily clueless, perhaps due to her desire to drag Kelric off to bed and practice her feminine wiles on him overriding her ability to comprehend that Wash might seriously be in danger, rather than being deliberately manipulative.  Um, the Duchess isn't originally from Meara, is she?  Any family connections to anyone out there who might wish to see Kelric diverted from trying to establish contact with his brother, and/or who might want to see Wash married off to someone who can keep a close eye on him for their own purposes?

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Haven't caught up with the latest installment but please don't tell me that we have another potential threat.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Now I've read Laurna's piece I suspect that there is a bit of a history here. Kelric has had to act both as big brother and surrogate father to Washburn and perhaps he has been a little too quick in the past to extricate Washburn from a foolish adventure or two. Nothing too serious, certainly nothing his father and Uncle Seandry wouldn't have got up to, but causing Kelric to lose some of his ducal dignity, at least in the eyes of his duchess. And if Kelric is like his father he might sit fairly lightly to said ducal dignity. (I love the bit at the beginning of TBH where someone ( his Chamberlain IIRC) has patiently explained to Alaric that he has to dress up to his rank because looking as though he is impoverished embarasses his household.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Bynw, a question.  If Master Darcy wants to purchase a set of throwing daggers as they prepare to leave town, do you approve the purchase?  Do you set the price?  I'm hoping it will be one gold coin for the set, but if it is one coin for each dagger, Darcy can live with it.

Just because we all know it will be a nice, peaceful, leisurely ride to Rhemuth.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Aliset would be interested in knowing this too, after nearly losing her dagger when everyone was attacked earlier. Unless there's a handy boomerang spell in her grimoire that makes all thrown weapons magically return to her hand afterwards! ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

While Columcil is interested in visiting the Blacksmith and getting his staff ironshod.
(Psalm 46 v1)