• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: Bynw on January 16, 2018, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 16, 2018, 03:11:47 PM
OK, locally we have a band of snow coming through town, as well as temps dipping to the single digits (Fahrenheit, so well below freezing rather than just above it),

Would love to have single digit temps. We have had some below zero ones lately.

It's predicted to fall below zero before morning. Fortunately we got a band of dry air directly over Birmingham, so while we got a fair bit of snow and ice to the northwest and southeast of the city, there is a corridor over the city (including the suburb where I live) that I swear looks on the weather radar as if someone was doing a weather working!  I wouldn't say it was perfectly clear, because we did get flurries, but what fell was so light and dry that it blew away immediately, and the temps never got above freezing, so it didn't melt on the roads. The fear was that the temps would rise just above freezing after a thick snowfall, and that the higher temperature plus traffic melting the snow on the roads would lead to them becoming ice-slicked after sundown once the temps dropped again.  That didn't happen here, although it's apparently happened on either side of us.  Granted, the night is still young, so it could get worse later, but I just made a brief run to our neighborhood grocery store about an hour ago, and at that time the snow was so dry and powdery that it just flew straight off my windshield with a flick of the wipers and didn't leave even a trace of moisture.  That is definitely not our usual sort of snow when we see any in these parts!  We usually get huge, sloppy, slushy, feather-like flakes rather than this fine sand-like stuff!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

It's all your fault, Evie, for the hamster wheel that is my brain considering all sorts of scenarios.  Including:

A scene in the bath where our three male adventurers (sorry Aliset, you can't be in this scene!) come clean about parts of their past.

A Casablanca moment, when Washburn and Darcy learn that Aliset will be betrothed a an earl ten years her senior, they decide to join the Forcinn Foreign Legion.

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship," Washburn says as they ride through the gates of Rhemuth.

"Only if we don't kill each other first," replies Darcy.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL!!!

Or a crossover fic....

Aliset looked into her grimoire, trying to figure out how to conjure up Moaning Myrtle to eavesdrop on the men's bathtime conversation.  Perhaps if she could find the right spell, she could even see through Myrtle's eyes by scrying in her wine goblet.... 

;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Oh my goodness, Bynw and revanne.  These are dark turns indeed!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

On the news right now, TV reporter to state trooper. "I know right now you have your ear literally on the roads of Alabama...."

Um, no, I hope not!  His ear would freeze stuck to it, and I'd hate to see that workman's compensation report! LOL!

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

I'm just borrowing from my own native RPG campaign. There is one group that has a long standing tradition of not liking the Deryni in my game world. The entire army there uses crossbows with Merasha dipped bolts. Just to take care of those kind. Easier to capture a Deryni when their mind is muddled and they cannot call upon their powers.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Yeah, I was just laughing because apparently merasha-tipped arrows shot by a skilled archer with a longbow aren't sufficient for us, we get to worry about the much greater force (and even higher chance of fatal injury to unarmored folk) of crossbow bolts to be wary of on top of that!  Thanks, boss!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

Hiding a long bow or even a short bow is sometimes difficult. A crossbow is easier to hide. Fortunately in this game there is no difference to the damage. Everything does 1 point. See I saved you :D

revanne

Merasha now, as though our life wasn't difficult enough. But two can play at that game and our friendly Infirmarian is Deryni. *Thinks aloud*.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Shessh, and here I was hoping for a few nights of good sleep. Not the constant brain working to find a way out of what ever the last person wrote.
Now, guess who was the last person to write tonight, and I have to go to sleep with that in may head!  Thanks so very very much Bynw!  ;) This is starting to ruin my house keeping time. To say nothing about dog and horse grooming time. I haven't even put all the Christmas stuff away yet. So I am taking the night off, going to sleep early and doing some house work in the morning. Then we shall see..." :o

By the by, I dearly hope that Meresha is a bad batch. I also hope that it cost the grand duke half his fortune to acquire it. I am going to assume the stuff is very rare and very expensive. Especially if the church has not made it for 40 years.  And I dearly hope all those vintage private collection wines of de Nore's were destroyed a long time ago. In my oppinion, there is no way an army can afford to keep enough Meresha to tip all their arrows in it. I would put my foot down and tell them to prove to me that they can afford it.  :P

Ok, on a lighter note, I am reading a few exerts of Rhys healing, I love Rhys.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on January 17, 2018, 02:33:58 AM
Shessh, and here I was hoping for a few nights of good sleep. Not the constant brain working to find a way out of what ever the last person wrote.
Now, guess who was the last person to write tonight, and I have to go to sleep with that in may head!  Thanks so very very much Bynw!  ;) This is starting to ruin my house keeping time. To say nothing about dog and horse grooming time. I haven't even put all the Christmas stuff away yet. So I am taking the night off, going to sleep early and doing some house work in the morning. Then we shall see..." :o

By the by, I dearly hope that Meresha is a bad batch. I also hope that it cost the grand duke half his fortune to acquire it. I am going to assume the stuff is very rare and very expensive. Especially if the church has not made it for 40 years.  And I dearly hope all those vintage private collection wines of de Nore's were destroyed a long time ago. In my oppinion, there is no way an army can afford to keep enough Meresha to tip all their arrows in it. I would put my foot down and tell them to prove to me that they can afford it.  :P

Ok, on a lighter note, I am reading a few exerts of Rhys healing, I love Rhys.

I know the feeling, Laurna. My problem is that I have to be able to see how things work in the story without too many gaping plot holes. Maybe we need to repeat the mantra "This is just a game"

I suspect that within Gwynedd Merasha is a strictly controlled substance possessed only by a few with express permission from the King and Archbishops (which may undermine my thoughts abut our Infirmarian now I think about it  :( ). It couldn't be entirely banned because of the need to control rogue Deryni whether that be from evil intent or simply those who for whatever reason have lost control of their powers. I imagine Duncan and Denis took great pleasure in pouring all even possibly contaminated communion wine down the garderobe shaft, making sure of course it couldn't get into the water supply.

Sadly however Grand Duke Valerian does not come from Gwynedd and who knows what really goes on in Byzantum.

I love Rhys too, who could not (other than Hubert and cronies of course).

Oh, and housework is only worth doing when you can tell the difference after you have done it.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Another modification for our Healers.

The OLD description for healing:

Healer (Deryni): I've seen worse, son. You'll pull through. As an Action, you can Test 2d6 to heal another creature or Test 1d6 to heal yourself. If the Test is successful, the target creature is healed for 2 Hit Points or 1 Hit Point if used on yourself. This Trait can also be used to cure poison, disease, and other physical ailments that are non-magical. You must be next to the creature to heal it.

The NEW description for healing:

Healer (Deryni): I've seen worse, son. You'll pull through. As an Action, you can Test 2d6 to heal another creature or Test 1d6 to heal yourself. If the Test is successful, the target creature is healed for 1d6 Hit Points or 1d6/2 (round up) Hit Point if used on yourself. This Trait can also be used to cure poison, disease, and other physical ailments that are non-magical. You must be next to the creature to heal it.

Jerusha

Bynw, am I reading this correctly?  If you are healed successfully, you must roll 1d6, and if you roll a 6 (which would be my luck) it costs you 6 hit points?

-- Old English Litany

Jerusha

Laurna, a quick question.  Now that our heroes have abandoned their monk's robes, will Washburn be having his head completely shaved?

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on January 17, 2018, 11:13:03 AM
Bynw, am I reading this correctly?  If you are healed successfully, you must roll 1d6, and if you roll a 6 (which would be my luck) it costs you 6 hit points?

Yes you are reading that correctly. Instead of a static 2 points healed. It can be update 6 but of course if you are only 2 points down then naturally you only get those 2 points if you roll over 2.