• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:13:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 243
Total: 243
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: Bynw on January 15, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 15, 2018, 11:12:02 AM
Those rolls were in our chat room, yes? So it's ok if we use that as an alternate means of dice rolling, since either way you'll see the results? That might be easier, since the other site has a habit of assuming it knows what I want to roll better than I do, or changing my subject line back to a previously used one at random moments. I swear that thing hates me!   ;D

Yes those were in the chatroom and since I'm always in the chatroom you can use it to roll dice if you want to as an alternative. But sometimes, as my past player DesertRose will tell you. Even those dice are not always friendly towards you.

LOL, indeed!   Sometimes the dice just hate you.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

I was trying to do the math, but my math brain totaly escapes me.
1d6 rolloing a 5 or 6 is 33%       1d6 rolling a 4,5,or 6 is 50%   no math required there
2d6 Rolling a 5 or 6  is  ?%   (is that 4/36?  that can't be right because that is 1/9)   
3d6 rolling a 5 or 6   is  ?%   Brain freeze!

I reviewed my dice rolls.  I have done 32 rolls total, 10 rolls with a 5 or 6 showing that is 31%. that is acceptable.
Rolls for Wash 19, 5 rolls with a 5 or 6 showing  that is 26%. below average
Rolls for other than Wash 13, 5 rolls with a 5 or 6 showing  that is 38%  above average.  This is why the bad guys are doing so much better.

I admit that I am not including the few rolls Wash has used focus to make a 4 count and once he used hero point to make a 3 count. Those are supposed to improve your average to above 33 % not bring it up to 33%.
So if I roll for the bad guys I will roll them on a different account or on the chat room instead.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

When doing the math on the odds of rolling the dice. Most of the time when multiple six sided dice are concerned the math is done against the sum total of the 2 or 3 dice in question. So the odds of rolling a 5 or 6 on 2d6 is very good, if you are looking at the total. Because it can be done with 1+5, 2+4, 3+3, 1+4, 2+3. But we are looking at rolling a 5 or 6 (most of the time) on any single die. Sometimes we only get to roll 1 die, other times we get 2 or 3 which of course increases the odds.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

Help - you are talking to the person who only passed my Maths "O" level (Exams taken at 16 when I was at school- they are called GCSEs now unless that has changed again) because Demercia forced a few vital bits of information into my head.

I have no idea why we have plural Math this side of the pond - singular would have been more than enough for me.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 15, 2018, 12:23:24 PM
Off to run several errands in town before the freeze hits, and get a few major chores completed. Feel free to use Aliset as needed.  (Within the bounds of good taste and common decency, that is. Remember those nuns are watching you!   ;D )

I take it that doesn't include Columcil so far forgetting your status as to ask you to wash his bloodstained robe.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 15, 2018, 04:31:06 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 15, 2018, 12:23:24 PM
Off to run several errands in town before the freeze hits, and get a few major chores completed. Feel free to use Aliset as needed.  (Within the bounds of good taste and common decency, that is. Remember those nuns are watching you!   ;D )

I take it that doesn't include Columcil so far forgetting your status as to ask you to wash his bloodstained robe.

LOL!  Well, you can ask, but be prepared to be met with a puzzled stare before she shrinks your robe, never having done her own laundry before, much less anyone else's! ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Due to the nature of this being a play-by-post game. I'm adding a nifty feature.

Anytime you roll all 6's for a Test for your character you get a Hero Point.
So on a Disadvantage Test, that's just one 6 needed since you only have one die.
On a Standard Test, then you need two 6's to get the hero point.
And on an Advantage Test, all 3 of them need to be 6's.

I've reviewed the posts for the game and it hasn't happened very often yet. But it has happened twice so far ...  PMs coming with your point totals.

Laurna

That's totally  awesome Bynw.  Thank you.

Giving up on figuring this out the mathematical way. I resorted to counting. Not sure about my accuracy as I am doing this quickly on my lunch break.

To have a success roll of a 5 and/or 6
1d6  total different outcomes 6     those with a 5 and/or 6 are 2            2/6      =33.3%
2d6 total different outcomes 36    those with a 5 and/or 6 are 20        20/36     =55%
3d6 total different outcomes 216  those with a 5 and/or 6 are 152     152/216   =70%

May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

How are you rolling dice in the chatroom? I have no clue!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

I'm wondering what is going on outside the walls of the town while mayhem is taking place within. I can't think that there can be very many assailants - half a dozen to a dozen perhaps - as Valerian wouldn't want to show his hand this near to the Gwynedd border and would want to make sure that those acting for him in this instance would be taken for a band of bandits or reivers. Valerian is clearly being kept informed by someone within the town, and my sense is that he would call off the attackers in the short term, there is still a distance for our heroes to cover where they will be more vulnerable.

I am thinking of writing something to that effect but what does anyone else think?
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on January 15, 2018, 10:28:31 PM
That's totally  awesome Bynw.  Thank you.

Giving up on figuring this out the mathematical way. I resorted to counting. Not sure about my accuracy as I am doing this quickly on my lunch break.

To have a success roll of a 5 and/or 6
1d6  total different outcomes 6     those with a 5 and/or 6 are 2            2/6      =33.3%
2d6 total different outcomes 36    those with a 5 and/or 6 are 20        20/36     =55%
3d6 total different outcomes 216  those with a 5 and/or 6 are 152     152/216   =70%

You got it!

DesertRose

Quote from: Jerusha on January 16, 2018, 05:54:00 AM

In the field in your chat window where you would normally type your comment, type "!roll [however many]d6" without the quotation marks.  So if you needed to roll 2 dice, you'd type "!roll 2d6."

It's sort of like the "/nick New_Nickname" or the "/me does something" command, except that the slash tells the server that a command is incoming, but the exclamation point lets the chat bot know you're asking it to do something.

It also works for other dice besides six-sided, but y'all aren't using any other type of dice, so that's immaterial to the Ghosts of the Past game.  (For example, if y'all were playing a D20 system and you needed to roll a 20-sided die, you'd type, "!roll 1d20.")

I hope that helps.  If it's not clear enough, say something.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on January 16, 2018, 05:54:00 AM

If you are in the chatroom just type: !roll 1d6
or if you need 2 dice it would be !roll 2d6
or for those 3 dice it would be !roll 3d6

Just remember to start with the explanation point

Jerusha

Thanks DR and Bynw.  I'll try that next time.  It's almost too easy.   :)

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Jerusha

Quote from: revanne on January 16, 2018, 06:03:44 AM
I'm wondering what is going on outside the walls of the town while mayhem is taking place within. I can't think that there can be very many assailants - half a dozen to a dozen perhaps - as Valerian wouldn't want to show his hand this near to the Gwynedd border and would want to make sure that those acting for him in this instance would be taken for a band of bandits or reivers. Valerian is clearly being kept informed by someone within the town, and my sense is that he would call off the attackers in the short term, there is still a distance for our heroes to cover where they will be more vulnerable.

I am thinking of writing something to that effect but what does anyone else think?

I agree, revanne.  I was thinking that Laurna's "fifth man" would call off his attempt to break into the monastery now that Washburn and Columcil have arrived.  Shall I leave this to you?  I plan to do a little "welcome back, you look awful" scene.   ;)

And besides, our group needs to move on to the next part of the disaster adventure.

-- Old English Litany