• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 105
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on January 13, 2018, 10:18:47 PM
Quotefrom Aliset thinking to herself. "... practically from the moment they'd arrived, her companions had scattered seemingly to the four winds!  Annoyance welled up in her.  How very much like men they were, wandering apart and dashing hither and yon acting all heroic rather than sticking together and covering each other's backs like sensible folk! She stifled a laugh as the irony dawned on her.  Of course they were acting like men, daft creatures!  They were men!  .... She'd grown curiously attached to the lot of them in the past few days, even though keeping up with them right now seemed to be more useless than attempting to herd cats."

ROFL ;D
It is impossible to herd cats. Yet doing that would be easier than herding this group. Honestly we do keep trying to get together, if it wasn't for all these obstacles.

On cat herding:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE  (A commercial that originally ran during the Super Bowl some years ago.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Herding cats is a pretty good description of being a parish priest.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Happy to wait Laurna but there's a lot of blood here so get those dice sorted would you  ::)
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Darcy Cameron sneaks down the passage again and approaches the dice roller.  Again he pries open the door.  From his belt pouch he pulls forth six dice, all marked only as sixes.  On the corner of each, clearly marked, it says "Made in Gwynedd." He throws them into the roller.

"Our friend will be avenged, Torenth!"
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Oh no! so sorry Revanne! That makes it really hard on your real day, doesn't it. I know it's a game, but I am feeling it.
Thank you Jerusha, I hope that will help.

Bynw, I think I now understand why the GM rolls for the enemy. It is too hard on the players to get good rolls only when playing the enemy and never for yourself. I think the roller is programed to think you are getting good rolls every three times like the odds should be, but it doesn't account for the fact that every third roll is not for yourself. Would it make a difference if we each had a separate account to roll for the bad guys, not the same account that we roll for our own characters. Remember computers don't really understand total randomness, no matter how well they are programed.

Better Yet, I am willing to let Bynw roll for the enemy, so any of my good rolls don't feel don't feel like utter destruction when they go to the advantage of the bad guy.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Remember, even if the enemy scores a hit, that doesn't mean you have to write every hit as a life threatening blow!  Remember, we PCs have 6 hit points, after all, so if you are writing each hit as if it were a potentially mortal injury, we'd bleed out long before we ever get to that final hit point!  LOL!  I mean, sure, if the enemy not only managed to hit a PC but did so with all 6s (or if we attempt to evade and roll all 1s), then sure, you might want to write that as a spectacular success or failure, but it seems far more likely in a fast paced combat scene that some of those blows are likely to hit their target but be shallow slashes, blows that momentarily daze the PC but not be totally incapacitating, etc.  One reason PCs get more HP than NPCs is to help keep it fun for the players rather than traumatic, since no one wants to lose a character they've invested a lot of time and energy in creating.  (Been there, done that!)  And if one of us does die....well, this is Gwynedd, land of the Blessed Saint Camber.  Miracles do occasionally happen, at least if we can manage to shake those pesky ones and twos out of the dice roller.  ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on January 14, 2018, 09:45:01 PM
Oh no! so sorry Revanne! That makes it really hard on your real day, doesn't it. I know it's a game, but I am feeling it.
Thank you Jerusha, I hope that will help.

Bynw, I think I now understand why the GM rolls for the enemy. It is too hard on the players to get good rolls only when playing the enemy and never for yourself. I think the roller is programed to think you are getting good rolls every three times like the odds should be, but it doesn't account for the fact that every third roll is not for yourself. Would it make a difference if we each had a separate account to roll for the bad guys, not the same account that we roll for our own characters. Remember computers don't really understand total randomness, no matter how well they are programed.

Better Yet, I am willing to let Bynw roll for the enemy, so any of my good rolls don't feel don't feel like utter destruction when they go to the advantage of the bad guy.
On the other hand it feels more realistic thst bsd things happen to good characters. And Kieran had a much easier death than he feared he might.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Scene posted, one thug left injured but alive for questioning, and now Columcil can show Wash how Healing works, assuming the dice roll is favorable and he doesn't roll snake eyes instead and harm himself or Wash in the process. LOL! I'm headed to bed.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Thank you so much Evie.  thank you for staying up to finish that. I think we can now all go get a good night's sleep.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I made a slight edit to my previous post.  I realized I had overlooked that the other door from the infirmary led through a courtyard to a back gate, so I fixed that. 

Just in case the fifth Mearan sympathizer Laurna mentioned decides to surface.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

I had good luck rolling this way:

[10:10] <bynw> !roll 1d6
[10:10] <@derynibot> 6 == 6  (success)
[10:10] <@derynibot> 1 == 1 (fail)
[10:10] <@derynibot> 3 == 3 (fail)
[10:10] <bynw> .
[10:10] <bynw> !roll 2d6
[10:10] <@derynibot> 3, 1 == 4 (fail)
[10:10] <@derynibot> 2, 6 == 8 (success)
[10:10] <@derynibot> 3, 5 == 8 (success)
[10:10] <bynw> .
[10:10] <bynw> !roll 3d6
[10:10] <@derynibot> 3, 5, 6 == 14 (success)
[10:10] <@derynibot> 4, 2, 3 == 9 (fail)
[10:10] <@derynibot> 6, 4, 1 == 11 (success)
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Those rolls were in our chat room, yes? So it's ok if we use that as an alternate means of dice rolling, since either way you'll see the results? That might be easier, since the other site has a habit of assuming it knows what I want to roll better than I do, or changing my subject line back to a previously used one at random moments. I swear that thing hates me!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Off to run several errands in town before the freeze hits, and get a few major chores completed. Feel free to use Aliset as needed.  (Within the bounds of good taste and common decency, that is. Remember those nuns are watching you!   ;D )

--WARNING!!!--

Demercia

As a harmless bystander, please can we have a stress free couple of days.  At least let them get out of Meara alive.  Pretty please.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on January 15, 2018, 11:12:02 AM
Those rolls were in our chat room, yes? So it's ok if we use that as an alternate means of dice rolling, since either way you'll see the results? That might be easier, since the other site has a habit of assuming it knows what I want to roll better than I do, or changing my subject line back to a previously used one at random moments. I swear that thing hates me!   ;D

Yes those were in the chatroom and since I'm always in the chatroom you can use it to roll dice if you want to as an alternative. But sometimes, as my past player DesertRose will tell you. Even those dice are not always friendly towards you.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com