• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 175
Total: 175
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Quote from: revanne on January 11, 2018, 02:55:00 PM
"So if you don't know or refuse to acknowledge you're Deryni (like Darcy and Jehana), you roll 1d6 to attempt a Deryni skill, but someone like Columcil who knows he's Deryni but just lacks training could roll 2d6?  Or still 1d6 due to lack of training?  (I wasn't sure if you were counting "refuses to acknowledge" as separate from "doesn't know" or if those were meant to count as one category.)"

I have assumed that Columcil could roll a 2d6 because I think he would have some basic training even if he is more inclined to think of his skills as part of the border "second sight". Again I'm thinking of Ciard who knew how to ward, could sense that there were people approaching Transha when Dhugal first took Kelson there and IIRC taught Duncan and Alaric the basics of dowsing when they were looking for Dhugal and Kelson in QfSC.

Actually I would leave that to you to decided. Maybe you do get the Standard Test on some things and Disadvantage on others.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2018, 02:42:55 PM

As they're currently worded, I have to agree, although again I think they can be tweaked easily enough to fit a Deryni framework.  If "Power" is the basic 1d6 trait all Deryni have, maybe "Spell-Trained" could indicate the character has also had basic training (2d6) in their powers, then instead of "Spell-Slinger" maybe there could be a trait called "Ritual Magic" (still 2d6, since it's just a different area of training) which would require "Spell-Trained" as a prerequisite since you need to be trained in the basics on how to use your powers before you can move on to the more difficult arcana.  In which case a "Spell-Master" would be someone who had advanced-level skills in both Spell-Trained and Ritual Magic, so that mastery would allow them to roll 3d6 when attempting either.  Would that work as a Deryni work-around?

Let me think on it ...
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

I was sitting in my chilly study - the main central heating having gone off for the night- writing Columcil's latest tale and being too lazy to go upstairs for a jumper wrapped my cassock around my shoulders. Seemed strangely appropriate ;)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 11, 2018, 05:05:41 PM
I was sitting in my chilly study - the main central heating having gone off for the night- writing Columcil's latest tale and being too lazy to go upstairs for a jumper wrapped my cassock around my shoulders. Seemed strangely appropriate ;)

;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

I think that I have worked the timings right so that Columcil gets in the gate when Darcy is climbing the bell-tower. I have some thoughts as to what has happened to Kieran and none of them good.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

OK, offline for now. I'll try to peek in again later tonight, though whether I'll have a chance to write anything remains to be seen. At least Aliset is in bed sleeping like she ought to be, unlike some people....  *glares at Wash and Darcy*  ;) ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

It has been suggested that Darcy should know his place.  No good will come from that notion!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2018, 05:20:07 PM
OK, offline for now. I'll try to peek in again later tonight, though whether I'll have a chance to write anything remains to be seen. At least Aliset is in bed sleeping like she ought to be, unlike some people....  *glares at Wash and Darcy*  ;) ;D

"Gads!" It's not Wash's fault that a "clanking Bell" caused me, him to think the worst.

"Revanne,, Gads and double Gads," me Wash is fast regretting his "Cowardice."
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on January 11, 2018, 03:04:59 PM
Aack to the water leak problem. Hope that gets cleaned up soon.

I am having similar trouble. We just had our first rain of the year, I guess I didn't clean out the cutters. Water backed up and rain down the inside garage wall. Trouble is my garage is a work room, carpeted and full of fabric. I had to pull up a corner of the carpet and for two days I have been running a fan under it with the doors open during the day time.

I hope you are nowhere near the awful mudslides.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

LOL!  I think you need to do a sanity check on poor Wash, Laurna! He seems to be losing it. Get that man some sleep!  ;D  ;D  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 12, 2018, 08:30:39 AM
LOL!  I think you need to do a sanity check on poor Wash, Laurna! He seems to be losing it. Get that man some sleep!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Laughs menacingly.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on January 12, 2018, 08:32:11 AM
Quote from: Evie on January 12, 2018, 08:30:39 AM

Laughs menacingly.

Hey, this isn't Call of Cthulhu here!  No one is supposed to be losing their sanity!  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Don't let Washburn get lost on the way back down to the gatehouse Laurna.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

I wasn't sure if I needed to do a dice roll to see if Simon would provide the information.  I decided not to, since Darcy wasn't actually trying to beat it out of him, and if Simon didn't tell Darcy, he would certainly tell the Reverend Mother.  So it was likely to be divulged no matter what the result of the roll was.

And if I had my usual success, Simon might have beaten Darcy to a pulp. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Reading Jerusha's most recent post, it's a darn good thing that Darcy fixed the broken rope for the convent's bell!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)