• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

"Would you say that's in the same general area that Brice of Trurill and Dhugal MacArdry were patrolling together a generation earlier?  I think perhaps when Brice lost his lands to the Crown due to his treason, they were later given by Kelson to some other, more loyal, retainer who later became the Baron Aliset's father owed his direct allegiance to before Oswald came in and took over the manor.  (That baron is possibly away at Court or something and hasn't learned what has happened back home yet. Or something. Details as yet unfolding.)" Quote from Evie.

Yes, I would think about in that area. And I would still lobby for the lands having been given to Jass MacArdry.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

I agree Jass would be a good baron of Trurill. I suggest that Jass and Alidha are up in Cassan possible Ballymar, where Dhugal would be holding Summer court. They are far enough away to not yet have learned of the treacheries in Meara.

So I have a Question about Cassan. Is Ballymar the home seat of the Duke of Cassan? The Codex does not say. We know Duke Jared kept his home mostly in Culdi. Yet Culdi does not seem to even be in Cassan lands.

Other odd details about Culdi.
Camber was the Earl of Culdi, yet he never lived there. He stayed near the king's court in Valoret. The closest Camber came to Cassan's duke was his sister, who married a the MacLean, who was the Earl of Keirney. It would be several generations before Camber's descendants married into the Cassan lines. Richard Haldane was the Earl of Culdi, yet he was never there. When Richard left Rhemuth, he married the Hort of Orsil's daughter and moved to Orsalis.
Meara's capital was Laas and then Ratharkin. Why do the dukes of Cassan seem to use Culdi as its capital when the earls of Culdi do not use it.

Just Inquiring? 
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Just a reminder to our current scenario that Master Darcy has ward cubes in his sea bag.  I have not thought of a way to introduce the fact (and pending a possible roll of the dice).  A sudden "Hey, looky what I have in my sea bag!  Dice!" does not seem to be the best approach.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

I have not forgotten, Jerusha, but as yet, I have not seen a way to have Darcy up-end the contents of his bag so that someone would see them. I doubt he would randomly get them out to play a dice game. At least not until everyone is retiring around a camp fire at night. LOL.  Ward cubes are only good about once a week. We may need them in the nights ahead. So find a fun time to get them out and surprise everyone with them. 
For this current task, I am more inclined to use Camber's method of three people making the circle of warding. We can all share in the energy link and we can include Darcy without expossing his unknown heritage. He might even find it intriguing.

Quote from: revanne on December 29, 2017, 04:11:19 PM
It also occurs to me that two of our heroes are sons of Alaric and Dhugal respectively and they, of course, would never have taken the more dangerous route.😉
I do think I detected a bit of sarcasm in that emote wink, Revanne?  LOL

So we are all agreed we are on the road to Cuilteine.(My dyslexia is having the hardest time spelling that name) It is noon time now. If we spend an hour doing magic then a half hour recuperation. We should be back on the road at mid afternoon. That would place us at Cuilteine (Codex page 73) or at the Abbey of Saint Brigid's by sunset.
And just a quick mention about the passage of the bad guys getting the letter from the Trillshire priest. That would happen after this coming sunset. 
Boy oh boy, are the Mearan bad guys forming up in a fierce que, making Oswald look like a little guy.

DesertRose

Camber and his family didn't spend a lot of time at his seat in Cor Culdi; most of the time, they preferred to live at Caerrorie, IIRC.  But I think he did have to spend some time at Cor Culdi for official business.

Also, there wouldn't be much left of the residences of the earldom of Culdi from Camber's time (official or otherwise) any more anyway, because the Regents tore down basically anything associated with Camber after the passing of the Statutes of Ramos.  Whichever Regent (Manfred MacInnis?) who became Earl of Culdi in the Regency-era creation of the title didn't want any more association with Camber than he had to have simply from the title itself.

In The Quest for Saint Camber, Kelson et al. had to go looking pretty hard to find the tombs of the MacRories prior to the Haldane Restoration.  I think Cathan was the last MacRorie to be buried there.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

I don't have the books to hand but wasn't Cathan buried at Caerrorie ?  Caer is Welsh for castle or stronghold and the name suggests that it was the original seat of the MacRories.

I can understand why Culdi would be the seat of the Dukes of Cassan. There are no sizeable towns inland in the heartlands of the Cassan peninsula. Ballymar would have very limited communication by land with Rhemuth and even by sea it would be fairly inaccessible  once the winter storms began. Take it from one who has spent many winters living in the north-western coastlines of England..

Being based at Culdi also gives the possibility of keeping at least one eye on what's going on in Meara. As I write I'm also being niggled by some sort of memory that Cassan and Meara were once one Kingdom (or have I made that up?) in which case Culdi would be central.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Quote from: Jerusha on December 30, 2017, 06:03:14 PM
Just a reminder to our current scenario that Master Darcy has ward cubes in his sea bag.  I have not thought of a way to introduce the fact (and pending a possible roll of the dice).  A sudden "Hey, looky what I have in my sea bag!  Dice!" does not seem to be the best approach.   ;D

I have a thought as to how to introduce them but Columcil has other possibilities if we want to save them for later.

Laurna, yes I figured the messenger couldn't get to Culdi before late evening. Sunset in late June that far north would be around 10pm and full dark nearer 11, so the communication with the Grand Duke is probably not far off midnight. So that bit of the story is a tad out of sequence.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on December 31, 2017, 07:15:46 AM
I don't have the books to hand but wasn't Cathan buried at Caerrorie ?  Caer is Welsh for castle or stronghold and the name suggests that it was the original seat of the MacRories.

I can understand why Culdi would be the seat of the Dukes of Cassan. There are no sizeable towns inland in the heartlands of the Cassan peninsula. Ballymar would have very limited communication by land with Rhemuth and even by sea it would be fairly inaccessible  once the winter storms began. Take it from one who has spent many winters living in the north-western coastlines of England..

Being based at Culdi also gives the possibility of keeping at least one eye on what's going on in Meara. As I write I'm also being niggled by some sort of memory that Cassan and Meara were once one Kingdom (or have I made that up?) in which case Culdi would be central.

Yes, I'm sorry, I wasn't too clear.  Cathan was (IIRC) the last of the MacRories to be buried at Caerrorie.

And yes, Cassan is ~one-half of Meara as it existed at some point in the past.  I know Cassan was an independent duchy in Javan's/Rhys Michael's time, so Cassan and Meara must have already split by that point.
However, there's a comment in The Bishop's Heir (I think around the time that the "messenger" lad with the merasha-poisoned dagger makes the attempt to assassinate Duncan), about how if Cassan escheats to the Crown because Duncan is (as far as we know at that point) the last direct heir to Cassan, Meara (under Caitrin) could easily re-annex it, which they might want to do since it had at some point in the past been part of Meara.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Quote from: revanne on December 31, 2017, 07:23:19 AM

I have a thought as to how to introduce them but Columcil has other possibilities if we want to save them for later.

Master Darcy is content to keep a few tricks up his sleeve (or in his sea bag) to save until later.  Even though he has no idea at this point what those funny looking dice are capable of.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Brief Meara/Cassan history.
Sovereign Prince Aldebert Quinnell rulled the principality of Meara from 731-755. Cassan as a duchy did not exist.  Aldebert had two sons: Janus and Armon. Janus became Sovereign prince in 755 but died in 761. He was married to Princess Ostrythe and had a son, Prince Alphonse. Alphonse was just a toddler.

Prince Armon took the Sovereignty from his nephew, which split the loyalties of the people of Meara. Princess Ostrythe escaped with Prince Alphonse into Cassan. Battles ensued. August 6, 770 a treaty was signed where as Meara and Cassan became separate Sovereign monarchies. However one of the treaty statements was that if one family no longer had a male heir the one would revert back to the family that did have a male heir keeping the Quinnell's in power.

Meara was the first to not have a male heir in the year 877 when Prince Alban Quinnell died leaving only a daughter Princess Jorianna, She married a distant cousin, a MacAdam Quinnell and the Mearan line continued until 1025(Killingford) when only the twin princesses Roisian Quinnell and Anniland Quinnell were left as heiresses. You know the story from there. Malcolm Haldane married Roisian and assumed the Mearan rullership, Although the Mearan separatists formed saying Roasian forfeited her rank by marrying the enemy and Anniland was the new Sovereign Prince of Meara. (They do not call her princess of Meara due to the old treaty of no female inheritance.)

Now for Cassan, Prince Ambert Quinnell knew he only had a daughter with no sons. So on September 22, 916 he signed a treaty with King Cinhil I Haldane to give his lands upon his death over to Gwynedd to become a duchy of that kingdom so as to keep Meara from taking over the lands. Therefore in 921 his heiress, Princess Anna, became the duchess of Cassan. She married  Fane Fitz Arthur, the son of Tammoran Firz-Arthur who was one of Gwynedd's Evil regents during the Regency. From then on, their descendants were the Fitz-Arthur Quinnells.

It would become 1025(Killingford again) when there were no male heirs left and the heiress Adelicia Fitz-Arthur Quinnell married Arnall McLain and thereby the family name for the dukes of Cassan changed to McLain.

KK most certainly knew how to build a history.

revanne

Thanks Laurna, our mistress of genealogy.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on December 30, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
So I have a Question about Cassan. Is Ballymar the home seat of the Duke of Cassan? The Codex does not say.

For the purposes of my own fanfic, I have assumed Dhugal's seat in Cassan is Ballymar, since that seemed the most logical location for it, although I assume he also makes a regular progress through his other lands, so probably spends some time in Kierney and Transha as well, at least until his heir gets old enough to take on more of those responsibilities.  (Or heirs, since Transha follows a tanistry system, so it needn't be Dhugal's eldest son who becomes their clan chief after him.  They could just as well pick one of his other sons whose attention would be less divided. In my fanon, I have Dhugal's first son by Mirjana being his heir apparent for Transha, and Duncan Michael as the young Earl of Kierney and Dhugal's ducal heir.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on January 03, 2018, 09:28:21 AM
Quote from: Laurna on December 30, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
So I have a Question about Cassan. Is Ballymar the home seat of the Duke of Cassan? The Codex does not say.

For the purposes of my own fanfic, I have assumed Dhugal's seat in Cassan is Ballymar, since that seemed the most logical location for it, although I assume he also makes a regular progress through his other lands, so probably spends some time in Kierney and Transha as well, at least until his heir gets old enough to take on more of those responsibilities.  (Or heirs, since Transha follows a tanistry system, so it needn't be Dhugal's eldest son who becomes their clan chief after him.  They could just as well pick one of his other sons whose attention would be less divided. In my fanon, I have Dhugal's first son by Mirjana being his heir apparent for Transha, and Duncan Michael as the young Earl of Kierney and Dhugal's ducal heir.)

Do we know where Jared held the seat of Cassan to be?  I rather got the impression that when Jared was still living, the Cassani ducal family spent a fairish amount of time at Culdi.  However, I could be mistaken and my books are all boxed up so I can't really look up anything.

Evie

It's not really clear in the books, or at least I couldn't find a clear reference to it, so that's one reason why I decided it was in Ballymar at least by Dhugal's time.  Though you are right, Jared did spend a fair bit of his time in Culdi. Maybe he thought the climate was more pleasant there than on Gwynedd's northern coast. LOL!  That's been a confusing point we've been wondering about on the forum for years. I remember Annie, Alkari, and I trying to work it out ages ago, given that Culdi doesn't appear to be in Cassan or even part of the Morgan lands, and that the current heiress to Culdi (according to the Codex) is one of Richard Haldane's daughters, so we couldn't figure out any logical reason why Jared spent so much time at Culdi!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

If Darcy agrees to join the rest of us in the attempt to destroy the amulet, we'll discover soon enough that he has shields. Granted, it's not too unusual for a human (which we still assume him to be at this point) to have shields if he's been around Deryni long enough, but that discovery (and telling Darcy about them) might be enough to make him curious about why he has shields, and that could prompt further investigations.  Did Darcy know that the person whose belongings he is carrying in his sea bag was a Deryni?

--WARNING!!!--