• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 36
Total: 37
Jerusha
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Quote from: Demercia on December 23, 2017, 09:27:34 AM
TBH isn't the first time we meet Brice.   Brian knights him in, I think , The Kings Deryni.   I have wondered what went wrong as that was intended to, and should have, cemented his loyal.

Maybe he became disillusioned by the fact that Haldane Kings, Brion amongst them, only seem to have visited Meara on punitive expeditions. Certainly even at Transha, Kelson wasn't at all assured of his welcome and he had to work hard (including a bit of nifty footwork) to win them over.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Some more info on HP (thats hit points) for the bad guys.
(see the actual rules for more details)

Threat Level     HP
Fodder             1
Low                 2
Medium           3-5
High                6-8
Heroic             9-14
Solo                15+

The Grand Duke Valerian Tiberios Hogan Marek Phourstanos of Byzantyun is most certainly at High if not more than that.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

I read "Solo" and thought, "What is Han doing here?!"  ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Um...if our adventurers have left Culdi heading for Rhemuth and now they are in Cassan, they're hella lost!   ;D

Maybe this map will help. Or maybe I should post this to a separate thread to make it easier to find again?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol6jdvd9ld754kq/Gwynedd%20Map%20Cropped.jpg?dl=0

(Map courtesy of the Deryni Adventure Game. It's the same version printed in the more recent series of Deryni books.  Hopefully this scan will constitute fair use, since we're not attempting to profit from using it.)

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Where in relation to Culdi is Caer Mariot?
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on December 29, 2017, 02:01:04 PM
Um...if our adventurers have left Culdi heading for Rhemuth and now they are in Cassan, they're hella lost!   ;D

Maybe this map will help. Or maybe I should post this to a separate thread to make it easier to find again?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol6jdvd9ld754kq/Gwynedd%20Map%20Cropped.jpg?dl=0

(Map courtesy of the Deryni Adventure Game. It's the same version printed in the more recent series of Deryni books.  Hopefully this scan will constitute fair use, since we're not attempting to profit from using it.)

I went ahead and reposted the map link to its own thread under The Deryni Series -> General, and I set the topic as sticky so it stays fairly near the top of that sub-forum.  That way people can find the map if needed.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

LOL!  OK ,I misspoke about Cassan, I was thinking that the full duchy of Cassan went as far south as the word Culdi Highlands on that same map.  My Bad.(I am from Cowryn and Lendour what do you want from me) LOL!

I suspect our group is half way between the "i" and the "s" in the words Culdi Highlands over the mountain range just south of the town of Culdi. I was thinking the Eleyde river starts where the "s" in highlands is and that river travels southerly (mostly) joining the Eirian river which travels to Rhemuth.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Quote from: revanne on December 29, 2017, 02:08:15 PM
Where in relation to Culdi is Caer Mariot?

I think Aliset and Darcy were already, what, a day or two out from Caer Mariot when they met Wash in Culdi? (Though some of that time might have been spent evading pursuers rather than simply traveling straight there.)  And if they were heading for Rhemuth, it would make little sense to meet Wash somewhere too far off the direct path, so I would think Caer Mariot is maybe somewhere west of Culdi and northeast of Ratharkin, in that general area between Meara and Transha. It might be near that river that runs north of Culdi. Would you say that's in the same general area that Brice of Trurill and Dhugal MacArdry were patrolling together a generation earlier?  I think perhaps when Brice lost his lands to the Crown due to his treason, they were later given by Kelson to some other, more loyal, retainer who later became the Baron Aliset's father owed his direct allegiance to before Oswald came in and took over the manor.  (That baron is possibly away at Court or something and hasn't learned what has happened back home yet. Or something. Details as yet unfolding.)  And the mountain castle the Pretender Queen and Grand Duke Valerian are hiding out in is probably somewhere in the Rathark Mountains fairly close to Ratharkin.  Based on the description in my scene, my guess is that their current path follows that river down from Culdi through the mountain passes, and they might be somewhere nearish to Cuilteine now.  Valerian wants them stopped before they get to that open land in the vicinity of Arx Fidei, because it would be much easier at that point for the party to head in any number of generally southward directions and make their way to Rhemuth without being boxed in anywhere and ambushed.  River passage would also become more available, which might make their travel faster since they'd be heading downstream.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

I had us on the east side of the Culdi highlands not on the south west side. Just note that whatever river that is that runs from Cuilteine to Culdi it runs north to Transha. That is an unusual north running river. ( I am using the Codex maps more than the main map)
I will let you all come to a consensus on our direction of travel to Rhumth.

Lookin up in the Codex, There is a St Brigid's Abby near Cuilteine, which is on the boarder between Meara and Gwynedd. Codex says the Cuilteine road is the one Dhugal escaped with the captive girl Saldana   

Evie

OK, so it looks like we can make one of two choices:

1.  We can take that more northerly route you propose, though if we end up doing that, I will need to delete Valerian's last scene since it would make no sense if we go with that route. (Aliset and her companions are already in open country, so it would be too late to try to head them off before they get there, plus there is no way to send anyone on a short cut from the Rathark Mountains to that location to do anything effective, unless that person is being sent somewhere further south to intercept them instead, but even then the scene would need to be substantially rewritten.)

or 2. The party could have gone south through the mountains, in the same valley pass the river is flowing through, though as you mention not actually traveling via that river since it is flowing the wrong way.  That would be a fairly narrow valley that much of the area travel would logically go through since it's easier than going directly over each mountain ridge, but the downside (for our travelers; it's an upside for the story) is that it increases the potential for Oswald's and/or Valerian's retainers to attack from a variety of angles. And they'd all be pretty desperate to stop our party from getting to the open land at the end of the valley, because then we'd be less restricted in what direction to take to get to Rhemuth.  Plus once that land opens up, we could get to other rivers that flow southeastwards in the direction we want to go.

They could logically get to Rhemuth from either route, really.  But I think Route 2 will require less of an extensive rewrite of previously written scenes.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Very well, your last scene makes more sense to me now that I know where you intended us to be. I could not see how anyone could take a short cut to get ahead of us from the route I thought we were on. lol.  Does our Game Master then concur. While I am a work, I will let everyone agree upon it.  Are we on the south road to Culteirne? (Far greater risk for losing our necks, I say) Oh dear, oh dear.

revanne

Route two makes sense to me in that it means less of a rewrite. It also increases the likelihood of attack which is presumably why we have our hero points.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

It also occurs to me that two of our heroes are sons of Alaric and Dhugal respectively and they, of course, would never have taken the more dangerous route.😉
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

LOL! It could be the more dangerous route, though not necessarily so.  The way through the mountains gives attackers more places to hide, but then again it also gives our party more places to hide as well.  It's also probably a more direct route south, at least as long as the travelers all stick to the valley rather than trying to go along any mountain trails.  The more northerly option would give attackers less places to hide, but we would also have the same disadvantage, plus it's a longer route overall to Rhemuth if we went that direction, and we'd need to be sure to swing a bit east to avoid the mountain foothills as much as possible if we want to take more advantage of having open ground to pass through quickly.  (Not to mention making it harder for enemy archers up in the mountains to simply pick us off as we ride over clear land below, which is perhaps less of a danger in the narrow valley since there would also presumably be tree cover between the higher ground and any clearings along the river banks.)  So it's sort of "six of one, half a dozen of the other," aside from the fact that the river valley also brings us a fair bit closer to the hidden fortress where Grand Duke Valerian is masterminding things before it takes us further out again, but then again we don't know that yet, do we?  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I'm thinking that whichever route gets them out of the mountains faster will be the route they wish to take.  While the lowlands leave them more exposed, the same logic applies to their followers/ambushers.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany