• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerynifanK

Poor Wash. I would so like to see Feyd finally defeated. I am afraid that if Wash is actually  given to Valerian and thrown into that dungeon we will lose him. Hope Wash gets the Blue Fyre and escapes.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Evie

Well, there are worse possible fates than finding oneself in that dungeon, given other current circumstances which might prevent that from being as catastrophic as it might be.... :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Excellent job Laurna. I was going to have Feyd put that scroll to the fire so you must have read my mind.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Jerusha

I would really like to beat Feyd into pulp.  Then make him wash it down with his own drugged wine.

Nothing personal, of course.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on August 08, 2018, 06:53:42 PM
I would really like to beat Feyd into pulp.  Then make him wash it down with his own drugged wine.

Nothing personal, of course.

Why would you want to do something like that to Feyd. He's a great guy. Business is business after all. Its not anything personal against Washburn or the Morgans.

DerynifanK

I am with you  Jerusha. I certainly do not see Feyd as a great guy.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Jerusha

All assassins are great guys if you are not their target.  Or collateral damage.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Now this isnt really a pic of Feyd but you get the idea ...

Laurna

Great! Master Doom Feyd has a soft spot... for Kittens... The rest of humanity... not so much.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

I am concerned that Feyd has abused and tortured Wash's  mind to the point that he may have caused permanent  damage that cannot be healed. And it's a shame that those who should have cared for him looked down on him and left their care too late. I hope he does survive and Feyd's  plan to restore his mind works but it's hard to be optimistic  at this point. I do keep hoping though.

Evie

Quote from: DerynifanK on August 09, 2018, 08:23:21 AM
I am concerned that Feyd has abused and tortured Wash's  mind to the point that he may have caused permanent  damage that cannot be healed.

I very much doubt that, especially in light of this:

QuoteBut Feyd buries a key to unlock the truth deep in the recesses of Washburn's mind. Far away from his conscious mind. For Feyd wants these memories to be accurate in the future after he is no longer a captive of the Grand Duke.

It seems very clear to me that Feyd means his meddling with Wash's mind to be fully reversible at some future point, once Feyd no longer has any need to use him to get to Valerian (and whatever other end goals he might be envisioning).
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on August 09, 2018, 08:23:21 AM
I am concerned that Feyd has abused and tortured Wash's  mind to the point that he may have caused permanent  damage that cannot be healed. And it's a shame that those who should have cared for him looked down on him and left their care too late. I hope he does survive and Feyd's  plan to restore his mind works but it's hard to be optimistic  at this point. I do keep hoping though.

the brain is nothing more than a computer. a computer has long term memory (hard drive storage) and short term memory (RAM). a computer's memory is magentic electrical in nature. while the brain is chemical memory, most likely a string of protiens. yes both kinds of memories can become degraded or corrupted and lost.

if Wash's mind was a computer this is what Feyd did:
a. copied the original memory files and put those copies in a hidden folder in a different part of the brain
b. rewrote parts of the originals to make it seem like life was harder and giving Wash some resentment for it and changing his loyalties. this has happened many times before with other Deryni to other Deryni and humans.
c. wrote a script (program) that will restore the hidden original memories to the proper location replacing the false altered memories. but this program is dormant and hidden as well. it might take Feyd to run it. Or it might run automatically if something specific happens.

It could be detected as a false memory if someone does a deep Mind See on Wash, but that takes time. Also if the that deep Mind Seeing was done and the false memory detected as a false memory, then another one could be preformed and possibly find the hidden memories and the "script" that restores them. And even Wash's blocking ability could be discovered too.

If Wash was Mind Ripped, it could possibly destroy the false memories and the hidden originals but then since the hidden ones aren't where memories belong they might survive.

And since Valerian has a war to win. Doing a deep Mind Seeing on Washburn isn't something to waste time and effort on just now. Maybe down the road once Laas is secured.

revanne

That's helpful Bynw, thank you. Personally I feel quite hopeful - although I do think you like testing our imaginations and ingenuity, which is presumably what this is about.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Thanks bynw and Evie. Your explanations  are always helpful and do make me feel more hopeful. I can see how this has really expanded and challenged imaginations and ingenuity  and really developed writing skills.

Jerusha

If Washburn's mind is like a computer, could we just do a reboot and return everything to normal?   ;D

-- Old English Litany