• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 188
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

Oh yea, Laurna!  I like the way this is going.

(Just don't tell Bynw.   ;))
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Quote from: Bynw on June 24, 2018, 03:06:28 PM
Quote from: revanne on June 24, 2018, 02:56:20 PM
Browsing through The Deryni Adventure Game book this afternoon (the map has that so useful sea loch just east of Ballymar which I have christened Loch Mhor) I came upon the statement on page 154/155 that a death-trigger is neutralised by merasha. That doesn't seem to be the case in canon though, at least not in the only case I can think of which is Dimitri in TBP where he is heavily dosed with Merasha but the death trigger set by his Torenthi Masters eventually triggers.

I am aware of the merasha neutralizing death triggers in DAG. However revanne is correct that it doesn't line up with canon. So maybe it could be something that there is a Test for where it might work or might not work.

That makes sense. *Sigh* more dice.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: revanne on June 25, 2018, 06:37:21 AM
Quote from: Bynw on June 24, 2018, 03:06:28 PM
Quote from: revanne on June 24, 2018, 02:56:20 PM
Browsing through The Deryni Adventure Game book this afternoon (the map has that so useful sea loch just east of Ballymar which I have christened Loch Mhor) I came upon the statement on page 154/155 that a death-trigger is neutralised by merasha. That doesn't seem to be the case in canon though, at least not in the only case I can think of which is Dimitri in TBP where he is heavily dosed with Merasha but the death trigger set by his Torenthi Masters eventually triggers.

I am aware of the merasha neutralizing death triggers in DAG. However revanne is correct that it doesn't line up with canon. So maybe it could be something that there is a Test for where it might work or might not work.

That makes sense. *Sigh* more dice.

Or if you dont like more dice just go with canon and have a death trigger trigger anyway
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

I didn't get the dice to start with but they certainly make it more interesting and a challenge as a writer. That doesn't mean that I don't curse them from time to time.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: revanne on June 25, 2018, 08:09:24 AM
I didn't get the dice to start with but they certainly make it more interesting and a challenge as a writer. That doesn't mean that I don't curse them from time to time.

You are not alone in cursing dice. Every player in every Role Playing Game has cursed dice at one time or another. Even the Game Masters do that as well. The dice sometimes are not our friends at all and they make all of our character's plans and dreams crumble to dust in a single toss.

As a writer, the author of your story. You control every aspect. The environment, the major characters, the minor characters. You control evertying that happens both good and bad within the story by a stroke of the pen.

With a Role playing Game. The player controls their character and how that character would react to a given situtation. Where the Game Master generally controls the environment, the minor characters and the events that take place. I like to give some of that creative control back to the players where they have a say in some of what happens and you guys are doing a great job at it.

The dice are there to control those random events. Generally anything where there are consequences for failure on behalf of the major characters and minor characters alike. And especially for the PLAYER CHARACTERS. And there are only 4 of them.

In the story of a Role Playing Game, the outcome is not certain. In a traditional story, the author/writer knows that the outcome is certain because they are going to write it. Within a game world. The bad guys can win, the player characters can die. And the kingdom can be overthrone. And many times this happens because the dice just dont give the results we want.

But of course that is why the Hero's the Player Characters and some other major characters. All have Hero Points available to them. The Grand Duke does, but his are limited. If they are used, they are used for this story arc and he gets no more in this story line. Where the Player Characters (PCs) can continue to earn them. Since they are a cut above the rest, they are the heros. But they can still loose.

The challenge is part of the action and enjoyment of an RPG. Overcoming those challenges. Getting the dice rolls that make it a WIN. Spending those Hero Points to help get those wins. In the end , it becomes an epic story of its own. One that is told again and again for years and generations to come.

DesertRose

Quote from: Bynw on June 25, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
Quote from: revanne on June 25, 2018, 08:09:24 AM
You are not alone in cursing dice. Every player in every Role Playing Game has cursed dice at one time or another. Even the Game Masters do that as well. The dice sometimes are not our friends at all and they make all of our character's plans and dreams crumble to dust in a single toss.

And the award for Gaming Understatement Of The Year (Possibly Of All Time) goes to . . .

BYNW!  :P ;)

I have certainly said a few words in frank Anglo-Saxon, shall we say (and at least a few times in Spanish, in Kagi's Shadowrun game in which I played a Spanish-speaking shaman character), when dice rolls did not go my way.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

Dice Frustration 101

In the world of Face-2-Face gaming. Where all of us would be sitting around a table playing instead of using the internet and a message board. And there we have our own physical dice.

I've known players to be very picky when it comes to their dice. They don't like other players touching their dice. And I've seen them throw away because another person touched one or if it has been rolling badly for a while.

And at roughly 75 cents per die, it can get expensive.

Evie

As a writer, the author of your story. You control every aspect. The environment, the major characters, the minor characters. You control evertying that happens both good and bad within the story by a stroke of the pen.

ROFL!  You clearly haven't met my characters! I would nearly rather roll dice for outcomes than try to force that fractious lot into doing anything they don't want to do....   ;D

* Evie wanders off, still giggling....
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on June 25, 2018, 12:49:27 PM

ROFL!  You clearly haven't met my characters! I would nearly rather roll dice for outcomes than try to force that fractious lot into doing anything they don't want to do....   ;D

* Evie wanders off, still giggling....

You have far more control over them than a game does. LOL
Yes and even in a game they take on a life of their own sometimes.
Scary

Laurna

What is scary is the motivations that bring characters to life. Like last night, I had no idea what to write and then with a little motivations like a live burlesque show and friends sharing sound scapes of rain in a storm on the seas. And Oops there you go. The words come unbidden without stopping.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Thanks Laurna, an eight man skiff will do nicely.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Nicely done Bynw! good story telling.

As for what was told. I think Washburn's blood might be boiling.

May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

You said previously  that Feyd was just a mercenary  not Valerian's man but the way he talked today made him sound very much like a follower  of Valerian. He seens to hate the Haldanes just as Temeraz did. Am I reading it wrong? Very scary
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Jerusha

I wonder how Washburn is going to react to Feyd's story. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 25, 2018, 03:03:48 PM
You said previously  that Feyd was just a mercenary  not Valerian's man but the way he talked today made him sound very much like a follower  of Valerian. He seens to hate the Haldanes just as Temeraz did. Am I reading it wrong? Very scary

Oh he has no love for the Drappers who masquerade as Haldanes. His service to Valerian is purely monetary based. If someone were to contract him to capture or kill Valerian, he would do so. He doesn't care about the Morgan's either really. Just something about Washburn that he likes, maybe he will recruit him, since after all Wash is a 2nd son. His older brother was the heir and his children are the heirs after that. Wash gets nothing save for what his brother gives him.

Only one group of people are worse than the Haldanes in the eyes of Feyd. But Feyd might accept a contract from a Haldane, but not the others.