• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 02:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerynifanK

Question. Isn't  there a limit to how long wards can be maintained before needing to recharge the cubes?
A new element in the story, The grey cowled figure, Camber taking a hand and Wash able to heal his arm without his Deryni powers. Glad Wash doesn't feel alone. Can't  wait to see what happens next.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

HoundMistress

Me, too. All on tenterhooks over these developments! I would hate to lose Richard, but if he gave his life for the destruction of the dark fleet, he would truly be a hero. That would greatly improve our good guys' chances of putting this rebellion to rest. Will no one rid us of these inconvenient Mearans?
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 24, 2018, 06:57:42 AM
Question. Isn't  there a limit to how long wards can be maintained before needing to recharge the cubes?

Ward Cubes ... they tend to last a very long time before needing to recharge. Far longer than the time that Wash and the Scholar will be at their current location.

Now just plain warding, done without Wards Major does need periodic recharging depending on what the warding actually does. In the case here, that warns the Scholar of just the area being breached. It will last for a couple of days before he needs to raise or power them again. But again, he's not going to be in that location for that long of a time.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Jerusha

I wonder what Feyd is mixing up and how surprised he will be when he finds out Washburn's wound is better.  Maybe it would be best if he doesn't notice.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Quote from: Bynw on June 24, 2018, 09:43:27 AM
Quote from: DerynifanK on June 24, 2018, 06:57:42 AM

Ward Cubes ... they tend to last a very long time before needing to recharge. Far longer than the time that Wash and the Scholar will be at their current location.

Now just plain warding, done without Wards Major does need periodic recharging depending on what the warding actually does. In the case here, that warns the Scholar of just the area being breached. It will last for a couple of days before he needs to raise or power them again. But again, he's not going to be in that location for that long of a time.

IIRC, Ward Cubes tend to hold a psychic charge that gets stronger every time they're used and has a signature of the user's identity.  (Like, Evaine would know that a particular set of Ward Cubes was Camber's, or Rhys', or Joram's, because she has worked closely and repeatedly with all three of them and would recognize their psychic signature, and likewise, any of them would recognize her set.)

So if the Scholar/Feyd has set wards with his Cubes, he probably wouldn't need to recharge/reset the wards for weeks or longer, but Bynw seems to have said that Feyd has set the ward under which he is holding Wash without the use of Ward Cubes.

KK talks in Deryni Magic about a number of objects holding a psychic charge, such as rings (Bishop Henry Istelyn's being a particularly prominent example, or the iron ring used by Wencit to compromise and control Derry) or other jewelry (the Haldana necklace when Camber et. al. used the fact that Ariella had worn in repeatedly to scry for her location and martial intentions) and silk textiles (as when Alaric and Duncan used the silk ribbon Dhugal had used to tie his Border braid to attempt to scry for Dhugal's and Kelson's whereabouts in The Quest for Saint Camber).

Which could be information that might be useful later in the game, being able to recognize the psychic signature of someone with whom one has worked.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

Quote from: DesertRose on June 24, 2018, 11:00:44 AM

So if the Scholar/Feyd has set wards with his Cubes, he probably wouldn't need to recharge/reset the wards for weeks or longer, but Bynw seems to have said that Feyd has set the ward under which he is holding Wash without the use of Ward Cubes.

There are 2 wardings in place by the Scholar/Feyd in the old ruins. The Portal, is covered by Wards Major (Ward Cubes) and yes that will last for a very long time without needing to be renewed. Far longer than Feyd plans to stay at this location.

The ruins themselves have minor warding setup on them. That Feyd activated when they arrived. These are just simple wards that will alert Feyd if they are breached. Not even as powerful as the ward at the Royal Library that protects the Portal room there.

DerynifanK

Thanks to Bynw and DR for patiently answering my questions. Both of you are wonderful  sources of information  and I am learning a lot about the world of the Deryni  and Deryni magic from you. Still have trouble  understanding  dice rolls but I keep trying 
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

In the books there are many rooms that have semi-permanent warding that can be raised and lowered at the command of the owner. The green tower is one, Morgan raised that ward with a hand gesture. Duncan warded the Camber chapel as well. And I am certain the Haven was fully warded. The energy to maintain those wards might come from the earth but most likely directly from the person who raised and lowered them.
I think I read somewhere that Ward cubes that create the Ward's Major could be put in place and could last weeks. However, once the ward is disabled, it would take a week for the Ward cubes to recharge to be usable again. I think the setting of the ward is what uses the most energy and not the maintaining of the ward once it is up.

Revanne I, reread all of Ballymar and I have a shiver for Richard Kirby. One ship in the darkest of the night, against more than twenty anchored ships. I hope he cut their numbers sufficiently and I hope he found away to escape.

Bynw! AACK! to what ever is that blue stuff. I am afraid to have Washburn even ask.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on June 24, 2018, 01:37:10 PM

Bynw! AACK! to what ever is that blue stuff. I am afraid to have Washburn even ask.

Geee and I have all of that answer already written up too.

revanne

Although I don't think that I needed to I decided that it would make it more interesting (because this story is lacking in dramatic tension, not ::))to do dice rolls at this point to see if Richard survives. So I wrote the previous parts of the Ballymar interlude not knowing myself what the outcome would be.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Browsing through The Deryni Adventure Game book this afternoon (the map has that so useful sea loch just east of Ballymar which I have christened Loch Mhor) I came upon the statement on page 154/155 that a death-trigger is neutralised by merasha. That doesn't seem to be the case in canon though, at least not in the only case I can think of which is Dimitri in TBP where he is heavily dosed with Merasha but the death trigger set by his Torenthi Masters eventually triggers.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: revanne on June 24, 2018, 02:56:20 PM
Browsing through The Deryni Adventure Game book this afternoon (the map has that so useful sea loch just east of Ballymar which I have christened Loch Mhor) I came upon the statement on page 154/155 that a death-trigger is neutralised by merasha. That doesn't seem to be the case in canon though, at least not in the only case I can think of which is Dimitri in TBP where he is heavily dosed with Merasha but the death trigger set by his Torenthi Masters eventually triggers.

I am aware of the merasha neutralizing death triggers in DAG. However revanne is correct that it doesn't line up with canon. So maybe it could be something that there is a Test for where it might work or might not work.

revanne

I felt for that poor soldier, Jerusha, but maybe in the long run he will have had a lucky escape - or at least until Kelson's forces retake Ratharkin. Nice work on Iain's part.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Love the name Cedric Archer.
I know you had know idea about this, but two of Jessa's last puppies are named Cedric and the other Archer.  LOL! brings a smile to my face thinking about it.  ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on June 24, 2018, 03:26:42 PM
I felt for that poor soldier, Jerusha, but maybe in the long run he will have had a lucky escape - or at least until Kelson's forces retake Ratharkin. Nice work on Iain's part.

As unpleasant as his digestive symptoms sound, they're probably short-term and almost certainly preferable to death!  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)