• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 354
Total: 354
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:21:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: DerynifanK on May 11, 2018, 12:30:41 PM
Actually, according to DR''s fanfic Kenwood  Calder died in a fall from a horse in 1138 and Stephen de Varnay became Earl of Scheele,
I agree, having all Kelson's senior advisors  in one place with Feyd  on the loose is a little scary. Glad they don'T have bombs yet

Well, that was a plot necessity for certain elements of my story, and I am not Herself, so what I write is not (or at least not necessarily) canon.  :D

But thank you for the compliment.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DerynifanK

If Kelson doesn'the tell Dhugal about his son either, can he still be angry at Duncan and will Dhugal end up angry at everyone when he does find out? Hmm.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

I'll be posting a bit for Feyd sometime this evening, have to be home where my notes are though ...
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Jerusha

Oh dear...what have I set into motion?   :o 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Quote from: Bynw on May 16, 2018, 09:28:04 AM
I'll be posting a bit for Feyd sometime this evening, have to be home where my notes are though ...

Wishes there was a convenient portal for a certain tinker to slip through and abscond with Bynw's notes.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on May 16, 2018, 10:20:36 AM
Oh dear...what have I set into motion?   :o

You invoked the name of a devil. And he comes.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

Poor Wash, he always seems to get the short end of the stick. None of his family  seem to appreciate him, not even his mother. He served well as regent for Kenric but is pushed aside by Brendan who is a member of the council. Never heard him get any credit. Now you sic Feyd on him. Really?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Quote from: DerynifanK on May 16, 2018, 03:17:49 PM
Poor Wash, he always seems to get the short end of the stick. None of his family  seem to appreciate him, not even his mother. He served well as regent for Kenric but is pushed aside by Brendan who is a member of the council. Never heard him get any credit. Now you sic Feyd on him. Really?

Brendan is many years Wash''s senior so it is reasonable that he would be a member of the council whereas Wash is still relatively inexperienced. I also suspect that Kelson and Kelric would make a point of publicly showing their trust in Brendan to silence those who even all these years later would murmur about .bad blood showing itself.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on May 16, 2018, 04:48:55 PM
Quote from: DerynifanK on May 16, 2018, 03:17:49 PM

Brendan is many years Wash''s senior so it is reasonable that he would be a member of the council whereas Wash is still relatively inexperienced. I also suspect that Kelson and Kelric would make a point of publicly showing their trust in Brendan to silence those who even all these years later would murmur about .bad blood showing itself.

I agree with all these reasons for Brendan being on the King's Council rather than Wash, but I also don't see Wash as being all that hard done by, actually. Remember, what we know about Wash is based solely on his actions in this particular story (not to mention his relationship to a favorite canonical character), not on having seen him from birth. From many things said here and there in Laurna's scenes, I get the impression that Wash has not always made the most optimal use of his innate gifts and talents, and that his family might actually be at least somewhat justified in thinking of him as a bit of a slacker, and therefore not really expecting very much from him, up until now.  He reminds me of the sort of young man who grew up the spoiled baby of the family, breezed through his childhood years not really having to shoulder a lot of responsibility (or taking it on very half-heartedly and not with a lot of success), went off to college to major in beer and girls, took his occasional failures too much to heart (due to feeling like he's always standing in his father's shadow) and let that deter him from taking on challenges rather than as a challenge to improve himself, and is only now really starting to gain some maturity and grow into himself enough to prove his true talents and capabilities to others. 

My dad was that sort of person. In high school, he just barely squeaked by, telling himself and others with the ignorant assurance of the young and wet-behind-the-ears know-it-all that he didn't need a bunch of book learning because he planned to grow up to be a farmer. (Never mind that he even bother didn't apply his considerable intelligence to his Agriculture class, so he actually failed the course! The family joke became "F must stand for Farmer!")  With few options once he graduated, he joined the Navy at 17, but as the years passed, he proved to be a hard worker and a very capable learner, and he learned to regret his past choices and value education. When I went off to junior college, we went together, and he graduated as the valedictorian of our graduating class with a perfect 4.0 GPA.  I think Wash might be that sort of young man who is just coming into his own at this stage of life, to his family's complete and utter astonishment and delight, given his previous track record.  There are also some hints (Laurna and I have discussed this via PM) that Wash might have what we modern folk would call ADHD. His impetuous nature and need for action rather than sitting still would fit with that, and it would explain why he focused so much on his sword training in his younger years to the neglect of all but the basics of more scholarly training, including learning how to use his magical gifts properly.  Not to mention that would also explain why Richenda would allow him to do so. She probably felt Younger Washburn was much better suited to the physical education of martial arts training rather than anything that required him to sit still, stay focused, and tap into his more cerebral side. Especially if he wasn't displaying much of a cerebral side in his growing up years. ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Pretty good Evie.  I don't quiet agree with the comment "went off to college to major in beer and girls," if one was drunk one does not fight well. and disciplined in the martial arts is everything.

When I created Washburn Cynfyn from 180years in the past to this story, I wanted a very disiplined man in his twenties brought up through wars and battles who was very much a combination of Alaric and Chris Hemsworth, who was having to learn to lighten up and enjoy life once the wars were over and he meet the young lady Jessa.

This version of Washburn, I kind of wanted the reverse. This younger Washburn has not seen war, but he knows it is a serious threat. It took his father. So he trains to meet that  challenge if it comes his way so he can beat it. But I didn't want Wash to be battle-worn or serious. Watch all the outtake reels on the several Thor movies and Huntsman movies. See how Chris Hemsworth has a wonderful lighthearted sense of humor (a trait that I as a writer kind-of-lack but am trying hard to portray in my character.) I love that and I want Wash to be that, to be Chris Hemsworth becoming Thor, becoming Alaric, but not quiet there yet.

As family watching the youngest member of the Morgan clan grow up, I think of how everyone treated my baby brother. He is a smart kid(in his 40's now) and is really high up in the computer gaming industry making way more money than I do. However, growing up all he did was play games. No one every thought he was going to amount to anything. He finished high school barely, went to one year of college then quit, lived at home for years. Even with his wife-to-be, they lived under my dad's roof for several years. She is a gamer too, no one thought either of them would come out of the gaming world and find their way. But then they both seemed to mature together, my brother got a break in the computer gaming world and bam, he is a graphic artist with a family, two kids, a huge house and he became a very responsible man but still one with a light heart. I am picturing Washburn in that early transition of family recognizing that this young man(like my brother) can really amount to something.

So don't worry about Brendon taking Washburn's place as regent to help train their nephew in a council meeting before the King. No one wants Kenric to take on Washburn's easy attitude.  ;)

revanne

"No one wants Kenric to take on Washburn's easy attitude.  ;)" Quote from Laurna.

Kenneth, though might take after his uncle ;D
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on May 17, 2018, 11:56:08 AM
"No one wants Kenric to take on Washburn's easy attitude.  ;)" Quote from Laurna.

Kenneth, though might take after his uncle ;D

Love it.  I think some time in the future, it would be fun to have some short tales of the threesome: Alian and Duncan Morgan with Kenneth Haldane, stories of adventure. Very much like Jerusha's stories of the wonderful triplets.

revanne

Harp Song of the Dane Women by Rudyard Kipling

WHAT is a woman that you forsake her,
And the hearth-fire and the home-acre.
To go with the old grey Widow-maker?

She has no house to lay a guest in
But one chill bed for all to rest in,
That the pale suns and the stray bergs nest in.

She has no strong white arms to fold you,
But the ten-times-fingering weed to hold you
Out on the rocks where the tide has rolled you.

Yet, when the signs of summer thicken,
And the ice breaks, and the birch-buds quicken,
Yearly you turn from our side, and sicken—

Sicken again for the shouts and the slaughters.
You steal away to the lapping waters,
And look at your ship in her winter-quarters.

You forget our mirth, and talk at the tables,
The kine in the shed and the horse in the stables
To pitch her sides and go over her cables.

Then you drive out where the storm-clouds swallow,
And the sound of your oar-blades, falling hollow,
Is all we have left through the months to follow.

Ah, what is Woman that you forsake her,
And the hearth-fire and the home-acre,
To go with the old grey Widow-maker?
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Related to revanne's post above:  (I learned this song as recorded by a now-defunct folk group, the Ravens, and I sing it sometimes at SCA events.)

The Fisherman's Song
(Andy Stewart)

By the storm-torn shoreline, a woman is standing
The spray strung like jewels in her hair
And the sea tore the rocks near that desolate landing
As though it had known she stood there

For she has come down to condemn that wild ocean
For the murderous loss of her man
His ship  sailed out on Wednesday morning
And it's feared she's gone down with all hands

And it's white were the wave-caps and wild was their parting
So fierce is the warring of love
But she prayed to the gods, both of men and of sailors
Not to cast their cruel nets o'er her love

And she has come down to condemn that wild ocean

There's a school on the hill where the son's of dead fathers
Are led toward tempests and gales
Where their God-given wings are clipped close to their bodies
And their eyes are bound round with ships' sails

What force leads a man to a life filled with danger
High on seas or a mile underground
It's when need is his master and poverty's no stranger
And there's no other work to be found

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)