• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 144
Total: 144
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

KK's next book

Started by Lochiel, July 22, 2017, 05:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochiel

I am very curious to know what KK is working on for her next Deryni book.  948? Killingford?
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

DesertRose

Next on the agenda is a stand-alone novel with the working title The Road to Killingford, but Life keeps throwing KK curve-balls and she hasn't really had a lot of time to write anything, it seems.  I believe she might have gotten to the outline, but I don't think she's actually written much on it yet.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

We will need to get a progress report in today's chat! :)
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Lochiel

Thank you I appreciate the information. I'm really wanting to read new material and Killingford would be very interesting to read!
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

DesertRose

You're very welcome, Lochiel.

And as Bynw said, I'll try to remember to ask for an update if one isn't forthcoming in this evening's chat.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Marko

I have wondering about 948 for over 30 years now and would like to see a book about why so many people died in that year.  Drakensis wrote an excellent fanfic about Killingford, so I think that that has already been answered, but 948 on the other hand has many questions left to be answered.  Was it the Festillic Pretenders, a plague, both, or none of the above?

DesertRose

Quote from: Marko on October 03, 2017, 09:33:13 PM
I have wondering about 948 for over 30 years now and would like to see a book about why so many people died in that year.  Drakensis wrote an excellent fanfic about Killingford, so I think that that has already been answered, but 948 on the other hand has many questions left to be answered.  Was it the Festillic Pretenders, a plague, both, or none of the above?

While I share your curiosity about what exactly went so far wrong in 948 that so many characters die that year, I also don't think we get to dictate to KK what she must (or must not) write.

To borrow a phrase from the bad old days of fanfiction when fic writers had to worry a lot about possible legal action from certain published authors, this is KK's sandbox.  She built it, and she gets to decide what happens.  (Bynw owns the server and is mostly He With Whom The Buck Stops as far as this forum and the chat room are concerned, but don't think for a second that if KK wanted something to be a certain way, she expressed that desire to Bynw, TheDeryni, Evie, and/or me [the admin team], and it could reasonably be accomplished, it would not be done.)

This is not, by the way, to say you have to be happy with her decision or that you have to love everything she writes ever

I think we all have favorites and not-so-favorites, especially since KK has written nineteen books (twenty if you count Deryni Tales, which was mostly stories by fan authors, but I believe she curated the stories and contributed a few short stories, and twenty-one if you count Venture in Vain) in the Deryniverse, plus the five Adept books, four Templar books, four non-related books (although an argument can certainly be made that Lammas Night is related to the Adept books), and edited Scott MacMillan's two Knights of the Blood books, so that's a pretty respectable body of work.

It's just to say, please respect her decisions about her work.

Edited to add a couple of words to make a sentence clearer.  Edited a second time because I noticed I'd forgotten to format something.  :/

Laurna

I would be very excited to read the "Road to Killingford" as there are so many intrigueing personalities that must have clashed and teamed together to make such a daunting event.  I loved Drakensis fan-fiction story, as he drew much of the information off of the Codex and than added a very interesting twist. But because there is so much already spelled out in the Codex about who-died -when and who-survived-to-marry-whom, that I am fairly certain that KK has much of the facts all laid out and has only to add her own political intrigues and cleaver switches as to how it all came to that pinical battle. I want to read that!

Now, as for 948, everything in the codex is very vage. With but few exceptions- i.e. an infant who died of the fever(usually given some descriptive name, The Rosey Russ, or shambulling ire)- non of the adults who died in 948 were given an actually date of demise or of cause. I think I have only seen two adults so far with a date. This tells me that only a few facts have been worked out and that the true story telling for that year is yet to be revealed to our wonderful Author.

Writing works that way, untill the characters actually dictate their stories to you, the whole of it is not yet known. I am happy to wait for Killingford. and then maybe some day we will hear about 948.

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Having just reread TBP, I'm curious about that cryptic sentence near the end of it that alludes to some famous but tragic friendship eventually growing between King Owain and young Duke Tambert, who is only six years his senior.  That to me foreshadows that they will both somehow die heroically in defense of each other, but since I haven't had a chance to look up those two characters in the Codex since reading that brief but tantalizing remark, I don't know if that is something that will happen in 948 or before that.  However, since Uthyr is already king in 948 when he creates the Barony of Evering, it does appear that some tragic ending is in Owain's destiny before he even reaches the end of his first quarter century of life.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Hi Evie, here I am with my nose in the Codex:

Of Tambert it states  that "He attended the coronation of young King Owain on the 29 day of September in the year 928, and became fast friends with the new monarch." Tambert was born in 918 so he would have been ten years old at the time.  It goes on to say that "He (Tambert) died in the year 948, age 29, and was succeeded by his son, Lord Tammaron." Codex page 239.

Under Owain we read, " In the year 948 the King Owain was killed during the invasion of Gwynedd by Marek I Pretender of Gwynedd. He was 24 years of age at his death and was succeeded by his younger brother, the Prince Uthyr." Codex page 198.

I can well imagine that Tambert was at Owain's side during that invasion. I can only surmise that the only saving grace would have been that Uthyr was away at the time.

For under Uthyr we read " He succeeded his brother, the King Owain, in the year 948, and shortly thereafter defeated the Festilic pretender, Prince Marek I....Much of his reign was spent in rebuilding the damage wrought by the Festils to the peerage and economy of Gwynedd. He attained those houses who had taken an active role against the Haldanes, saying they could no longer be trusted in the circles of government and executed the ringleaders of the Great Conspiracy." Codex page 253.

So here is hinted at a "Great Conspiracy"!   There are a number of people as being recorded to have died in 948. The question remains how many of those were for Owain and how many turned as a Torenthi conspirator?

I suspect that the Haldane Ritual for Owain did effect Uthyr even before he was born. Uthyr would have been a very strong King, For in the year 955, he received a personal pledge from Arion King of Torenth that he (Arion) would not again support the Fastil during his own lifetime. Which did indeed hold true until three years after both  Arion and Uthyr had died, which is when Gwynedd once more ends up at war with Torenth in the battles of Argoed, Grecotha and Rangath.

There is even more information in the codex on 948 if you look under those of the Torenthi sides. Nevertheless, there are very few dates given and we can learn very little about the details of the Great Conspiracy.

DesertRose

Quote from: DesertRose on October 03, 2017, 10:14:30 PM
Quote from: Marko on October 03, 2017, 09:33:13 PM

While I share your curiosity about what exactly went so far wrong in 948 that so many characters die that year, I also don't think we get to dictate to KK what she must (or must not) write.

To borrow a phrase from the bad old days of fanfiction when fic writers had to worry a lot about possible legal action from certain published authors, this is KK's sandbox.  She built it, and she gets to decide what happens.  (Bynw owns the server and is mostly He With Whom The Buck Stops as far as this forum and the chat room are concerned, but don't think for a second that if KK wanted something to be a certain way, she expressed that desire to Bynw, TheDeryni, Evie, and/or me [the admin team], and it could reasonably be accomplished, it would not be done.)

This is not, by the way, to say you have to be happy with her decision or that you have to love everything she writes ever

I think we all have favorites and not-so-favorites, especially since KK has written nineteen books (twenty if you count Deryni Tales, which was mostly stories by fan authors, but I believe she curated the stories and contributed a few short stories, and twenty-one if you count Venture in Vain) in the Deryniverse, plus the five Adept books, four Templar books, four non-related books (although an argument can certainly be made that Lammas Night is related to the Adept books), and edited Scott MacMillan's two Knights of the Blood books, so that's a pretty respectable body of work.

It's just to say, please respect her decisions about her work.

Edited to add a couple of words to make a sentence clearer.  Edited a second time because I noticed I'd forgotten to format something.  :/

Okay, so it's come to my attention that perhaps I misinterpreted Marko's original comment (top of quoted text).

When I initially read it, it felt to me like Marko was saying, "Killingford has already been addressed in drakensis' fanfic story, so KK should not write about that but should rather write about 948, because that's what I want to read and I'm entitled to that story because I've been waiting for over thirty years to find out what happens."

If that was not Marko's intended tone/connotation, I apologize for the quoted comment of mine above.

I have been under a lot of stress for a year and more, and, for various unavoidable reasons, I've had to deal with a number of people who are entitled, demanding, unreasonable jerks, and that is very likely influencing my responses to a lot of things.

That being said, as an admin (if on sabbatical for the time being due to the aforementioned stress and its effects on my health), I should have given more consideration to my response to a forum member before posting.  Mea culpa.

Lochiel

Appreciate your new findings Laurna.  You've really whetted my appetite with the "Great Conspiracy".
DR I hope your doing better.
Peace
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

drakensis

Whatever happened in 948 appears to have impacted on the Church, since both the Archbishoprics fell vacant at some point between April (when we have note of Rostiang d'Ancezume being elected Archbishop of Rhemuth) and September when two new Archbishops are elected. Ailin McGregor wasn't involved in this though as he'd passed away in 941. Hubert McInnis' old minion Secorim was noted as being Archbishop of Valoret in 948!

It seems very likely that the Great Conspiracy involved both the Earl of Tarleton, Bonner Sinclair, and the Earl of Carthane, Cashel Murdoch, as they died in 948 and their titles were attainted. I believe there's some mention in the Bastard Prince hinting that the decision not to punish the heirs of the regents would backfire.

Interestingly, the McInnis family do not seem to be involved as Iver McInnis' son Hobard inherits Kierney (and passes it to his own son Richard as he dies the same year) and Iver's daughter Grania was married to Uthyr Haldane.

To add to the tragedy of 948, Owain had married Tambert's sister in 947. Their only child was born the following year but she passed away eight days later.

Laurna

Thank you Drakensis, I knew you would have more input on this subject.

So far in my studies, I find 23 adult demises of named characters in the year 948. And I not completed my full study of the Codex. I know Archbishop Alfred of Rhemuth was one of the first to die from the Plaque. And I would  guess that Tieg Thuryn may have died from exhaustion and the plaque while trying to help people. His wife, Karis may have died in the same fashion while trying to take care of Tieg.
After work tonight I can list off a few more people.

The truth is, however, for me as the reader,  I do Not want to read about these deaths.  I want to read about their lives before this all happened. but not about the end results. So I am not very excited to convince KK to write about it.  948 would be just as devastating as KJY.

tenworld

I have always thought that 948 was when the Camberian Council diverged from being essentially the descendants of Camber and the repository of key information. Perhaps that was even a deliberate choice made by that council to make it more independent or to further guard those secrets from the traitors, some of whom may have been council members.

Thus we have a Council at the start of Kelson's reign who have lost the healer secrets and the genealogies of Camber's descendants.