• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Protocols of Orin

Started by Laurna, June 15, 2017, 11:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

For some time now, I have been in search of the contents for the Protocols of Orin. As it would happen, they were hiding in plan sight where I could not find them. As of yesterday I found two sources, almost simultaneously. The Harrowing of Gwynedd and the Deryni Adventure Game book. If anyone is interested, I will list what I found.

Orin****
(10/2/604 to  8/18/675)
Was known as a great Deryni adept and mystic. He was a teacher and adviser. He established the Templum Archangelorum in the year 634 to train deryni masters and healers.  His works include the Protocols of Orin, Codex Orini and religious poetry including Organi Orini, Flexus Caeli, Silentium Agnorum and Canis Morthus Est.  He was buried along side Lady Jodotha in an ancient chamber beneath Grecotha. Discovered in later years by Camber and his children.

Protocols of Orin **, ***

The Green protocol
Comprehensive text on Healing

The Vermilion Protocol
Setting Wards 
Scrying 
Construction of Portals (including trap Portals)

The Golden/Yellow Protocol *
Shapeshifting (Taking a Dead Man's Shape) 
Death Reading (Reading Memories of the Dead) 
Assimilation of Memories of Another

The Black Protocol
Placing Another's Shape on the Dead 
Re-animating the Dead 
Summoning/ Calling up Creatures

The Royal Blue Protocol
"Scroll of Daring"
Staring Patterns 
Moon-Scrying
Blocking of Power (Rhy's rediscovered in Camber the Heretic)

The Codex Orini (Bound with a Violet cord)**,****
Contains commentaries and working notes of the great adept Orin. Some of the information is secretly written between the lines and can only be seen by balancing the powers exactly so and aligning  together the ring or Orin and the ring of Jodotha. The smaller ring of Jobotha placed inside the larger ring of Orin and reading the words made up around the edges "Domine, Fac me vitrum" the other side reads "ut tibi incedam"; "make me a glass/lens that I may burn for thee". This brings out a spell that allows the reader to use the center of the two rings like a lens to see the secrete writing. **
Holding Off Death 
Conversations with the Holy Guardian Angel 
Preserving Life Beyond Death 
Bringing Life Back Out of Death. (The Forbidden Spell)

*Saint Camber chapter 10
**The Harrowing of Gwynedd chapter 27
***Deryni Adventure Game page 152
****Codex Derynianus page 198 under heading "Orin"

Magic is known to be the balance of opposites: "Polarities, Opposites, Positive and Negative, Black and White, Left and Right, Male and Female."**

(Quote from Harrowing of Gwynedd chapter 27)
"(Evaine)gazed distractedly into the candle beside her for several minutes after he had gone, finally letting her attention wander back to the stack of scrolls lying on the table before her. Most were still in their protective leather tubes, the colored cords around them coded to their names; the Protocols of Orin.
Not the green, for that dealt with healing. Not the very basic and important Vermilion, with its careful instructions for scrying, setting Wards, constructing Portals. The Yellow was equally unlikely, though it dealt with spells connected with the dead: taking a dead man's shape, reading the memories of  one recently dead, and assimilating the memories of same. The Royal Blue, then -- the volume to which she had most recently gained access. But while that had been of help to Queron in instructing Tavis and Sylvan on further intricacies of the power-blocking procedure, neither that nor the material on staring patterns and moon scrying seemed to be applicable.
That left the Black Protocol, then, whose advice they had used numerous times for placing another shape on the dead...the procedure for reanimating the dead would be equally useless, The other subject of the Black Protocol concerned calling up creatures-- a practice fraught with dangers to the operator as well as the object of the creature's attentions, and one which Evaine had never pursued."**

There are other types of arcane magic that does not seem to be listed within the scrolls. We will wait to see if other ancient literature is discovered on the subjects of Truth Reading, Rapport, Divination, Weather Control, and Knotting Lore.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

A tad unnerved to discover that Orin is credited with writing "Silence of the Lambs" Silentium Agnorum.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Ack! Oh no!  LOL! I am thinking another of Robert Reginard's spots of humor has appeared.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

LOL! Perhaps best read with a dish of fava beans and a nice Chianti? ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!