• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 111
Total: 111

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Gryphons are brave too. Chapter three

Started by revanne, April 27, 2017, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Sitting on his father's knee, next to Briony, Kelric had performed one of those magical transformations of which even fully human four year-olds are capable. Feeling entirely safe, his previous crankiness forgotten, he was gazing in open-mouthed wonder at the bursts of flame. Brendan, on Briony's other side, was  prepared to enjoy the spectacle to come with the uncomplicated delight of a hard-worked young squire revelling in an unexpected holiday.

Glancing in frustration at her family, it seemed to Briony that only she realised the chaos that was about to be unleashed. Papa, she ventured, but although she was rewarded with a smile and a squeeze of her hand, they came with a mental prohibition, absolute for all its gentleness, against any further comment. Brendan, then, with rather less respect in her mental tone, but he, too, simply smiled good-naturedly and turned his eyes back to the unfolding story. At heart a sweet-natured child, and realising that she had not been of much help to her mother so far, she did not want to cause her any more trouble now that she was at last relaxing enough to rest her hand on her husband's free arm. Dare she try to touch her little brother's mind? Kelric. It was hardly more than a mental whisper, but in response he squirmed on Papa's lap and looked at her crossly.

Briony! Shame on you. I said "no more". Hear me now.

Yes, Papa.

Why were adults so stupid? In desperation she wondered if she dared try to reach Papa Duncan, but fear of her father's anger stopped her even as she had the thought.

It was in any case too late as, with a final burst of flame, a magnificent green dragon came charging through the flimsy barrier of the screen, folds of green cloth hiding the legs of the mummers inside. Higher on the body, made of cloth draped across a light wooden frame, diamonds of thinly hammered tin had been pierced and sewn to the fabric so that they glimmered in the candle light as the beast writhed in menace. Groans of delighted fear swept the audience; Kelric, though, was quivering with excitement. Briony thought crossly that if magic was as powerful as everyone said, then surely she should be able to magic herself away from the Cathedral. She focused hard inside herself as she had been taught, took deep breaths, and imagined herself on the warm and comforting lap of Nurse Evie.

Briony! What is the matter with you today child?

Sorry,  Papa.

She was unable to keep a sob out of her mental voice. She had rarely known her father really angry with her, but she hated to know his displeasure. Alaric, though, was more exasperated and worried than angry. He was honest enough to know that he did not always understand Richenda, now he realised that as Briony grew into girlhood he would not fully understand her either. And then there was Grania... For now, though, it seemed that peace having been restored with his wife, conflict was looming with his daughter. He shot an unusual  glance of envy at Duncan, then gently disengaged his arm from around Kelric and reached out to draw Briony to his side.

"Is there none who will save us?" howled the man still kneeling at Duncan's feet. "See, it comes and will not be sated until it has tasted pure maiden flesh!" The crowd groaned in thrilled terror, and the dragon did its best to look fierce, despite being deprived of its flame, as it lashed its tail and roared showing an expanse of scarlet tongue and wicked looking teeth.

Momentarily unrestrained, since both of Alaric's arms were otherwise occupied, Kelric saw his chance. Crowing with joy, he slipped from his father's knee and ran towards the dragon crying out, "It's our Gryphon!" By this time, though, the dragon was past the Ducal party at the front of the Cathedral, having aimed for a particularly buxom young woman pressing herself, in mock terror, against a pillar about half-way down the nave. Well into her prearranged role, she was screaming enthusiastically as the dragon opened wide, its jaws clearly intent on a succulent meal.

"Hold, foul beast! Thou shalt not have thy prey!"

Through the Cathedral door strode a knight, sword in hand, whose shining mail was covered with a pure white surcoat quartered by the crimson cross of St. George. The dragon swung round to meet this new challenge, to find itself impeded by a small boy who was shouting, "It's our Gryphon! Nasty man not hurt Papa's Gryphon! Fight, Gryphon! Gryphons are brave too!"

St George stood paralysed. The play had been well-rehearsed down to the last word and the smallest movement.  At no point had it been suggested to the good saint that his opponent would acquire a noble protector, albeit one less than three feet tall. It would perhaps have comforted him to know that his paralysis was shared in exalted quarters, as their Graces of Corwyn stared at one another in mutual reproach while a quiet voice Mind-Spoke, I tried to tell you. Briony sank further into her seat and looked fixedly at the floor, ignoring everything that was happening around her.

Brendan, however, became suddenly alert, for into his mind flashed a memory of a small boy, not much older than Kelric, and the man who had made a gryphon on a banner flap his wings. He sent a quick Thank you, father to Alaric, who wondered why he was being thanked for upsetting Brendan's mother, ignoring his own daughter, failing to keep hold of his son, and allowing the scene to degenerate into uproar. Duncan would have his guts for this.

Not expecting a reply, Brendan slipped from his seat and pushed his way through the crowd of spectators. He breathed a prayer of thanks to whichever saint had been responsible for Prince Nigel's permission to lay aside his Haldane livery for the day, and another, still more fervent, prayer of supplication to St. Camber that his plan would work.

Hanging from the wall of the Cathedral, alongside the seats of honour especially brought in for the ducal party, was the great ducal banner of Corwyn. Slipping behind his brother's barely formed shields, he could tell that Kelric truly thought that he was protecting his Papa's Gryphon. Hush now! It's not our Gryphon. Look, he's flown away to be safe! At least Kelric was startled enough to stop shouting. Hoping that he had imbibed enough of the air of authority his step-father exuded, Brendan rapidly issued instructions: to the maiden, "Start screaming again, noisily!"; to  St. George, "Use your sword, that's what it's for!" and to the dragon, "Die, as dramatically as you can!".

St. George was still too shocked to respond, but the dragon and the maiden had quicker wits. The dragon flung itself at St George, desperately trying to impale itself on his sword, whilst the front end hissed, "Slit my throat, you fool." The maiden grasped that what was needed was a distraction, so she screamed with renewed vigour and writhing around in her panic managed to reveal rather more leg than was seemly. Brendan seized the opportunity to swing Kelric into his arms and took him out of the centre of attention. He was very gratified to hear as he passed the dragon, "Well done, m'lad, erm, m'lord."

Sensing that Kelric was again getting distressed, Brendan again spoke into his mind. Watch now and I'll show you our Gryphon. Rather belatedly he glanced around, for magic was still something best not done overtly in public, and certainly not in church. Thankfully St. George had now come to his senses and was hacking at the dragon with a not entirely feigned ferocity. Strips of scarlet cloth were being hastily pushed out through the rips in the fabric to show where the beast had been injured. The three men inside the dragon were groaning horribly, and the maiden, having given up screaming, was loudly cheering on her rescuer. If Brendan had any say in the matter, he would see to it that they were liberally rewarded. Attention was now returned to the play and few, if any, were watching what he was doing. The battle between St. George and the dragon had been intended to take place at the chancel steps so that the dignitaries would have the best view; those at the back were therefore delighted at this unwonted opportunity to see clearly what was happening.

See that great banner over there, Kelric. Watch closely now! Using the light reflected off the gold cross on the altar to focus, Brendan concentrated as he had been taught, and to his relief was rewarded by a delighted crow of joy from Kelric, as the fabric which made up the  Gryphon's wings rippled up from the banner and flapped once, twice, three times. Then he felt a sense of worry from Kelric as he whispered, "Gryphons are brave, aren't they? But didn't ours run away?" Of course they are brave. Look, he's helping Papa to guard Maman and Briony. On cue, the Gryphon's beak opened in a silent shriek. Kelric smiled happily and nuzzled his head into Brendan's shoulder.

Brendan carried his brother back to the rest of the ducal party to be greeted by smiles of relief from his mother and sister. He was taken aback though, when Alaric stood and inclined his head in respect. "Thank you, my Lord of Marley. I owe you for this." He was relieved when with a return to his more normal manner, his step-father added, Well done, son. Forget St. George, this should be St. Brendan's day. I'll ask Duncan to see about it - once he's stopped tearing strips off me, that is.

Brendan sent a quick account of what had happened, then added, You are welcome, father. And I'm only returning the favour. Don't you remember the great hall here in the castle, the Christmas Court before you and mother were married? Alaric looked puzzled for a moment, then smiled reminiscently before reaching out to take Kelric. Kelric, however, had other ideas and clung sleepily to his brother.

"With your permission, father, mother, I'd best take him out." Richenda, who felt that she could not take any more embarrassment, though she knew that Alaric would ensure that any criticism fell on his shoulders, nodded mute agreement. Alaric smiled gratefully at Brendan and gave his consent. "That's a good idea, walk back up to the castle. There are some of our men at the back, just inside the door; say that one of them is to come with you. And Kelric, hear me now, do as Brendan says." Kelric nodded happily. Brendan bowed as gracefully as he could,  encumbered as he was, and turned to go, only to find a small hand pressed into his free one. "Please can I come, too?" Briony whispered, and receiving a shooing gesture from her father, bobbed a curtsey and walked off happily with her brothers.

Well, this has been an utter disaster.

Not at all, my lady, it just shows what a wonderful son you have. Alaric sighed. I can see, though, that I will have plenty of penance to perform this afternoon. I have to make it up to Briony for not having listened to her. Then there's Duncan. I have to apologise to him for nearly ruining his carefully planned performance, although he has, at last, deigned to speak to me and assured me that his stern expression was only because he was trying desperately not to laugh. Then make sure that Nigel knows what a help Brendan was, in case any other rumours have reached him. Doubtless Kelson will have heard some version of what happened, and I'll have to endure his comments too. And my purse will lighter by no small amount, the reward those mummers have earned. Brendan says that he was recognised by the dragon's head, and he thinks the man is a man-at-arms at the castle. If so, I'll speak to Nigel; with that initiative he should be a serjeant at least.

And finally, I need to apologise to my wife, who told me that Kelric was too young to bring. I'll do so properly later - the look he gave Richenda would have caused her to blush had her cheeks not already been fiery red -but in the meantime.... Alaric put his hands around Richenda's waist and, turning her towards him, planted a kiss on her lips.

Alaric! Everyone will be looking.

Nonsense. They've given us up as hopeless and are too interested in what's happening back in the nave. Let's go and see. You don't suppose I could somehow make the dragon win? It deserves it.

You, my lord, have caused quite enough trouble already.

But she allowed him to take her hand and, decorum already lost, they joined the throng cheering on St. George, Alaric firmly refusing any who tried to give place to them.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Oh, wonderful, wonderful!  Kudos to quick thinking Brendan.  Perhaps our Grace of Corwyn will remember to listen to the women in his family....  ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DerynifanK

Hurrah for Brendan  to the rescue! Wonderful end to the story. Never a dull minute when taking small children to plays.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

Yes! Big brother Brendan to save the day. I love how he proved to his little brother how the big green dragon was not his step-father's gryphon. Huzzah! Brendan, Huzzah!
I can so feel Big sister Briony's pain for the embarrassment she knew was coming. Her desire to disappear from there touched my shy soul.
What a lovely family moment, not soon to be forgotten.
Thank you Revanne.

P.S. I had to read if from the very beginning, made it that much more fun. Poor, sweat Richenda, she may yet learn just how much she is loved from days like this one.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Glad you liked it.

I'm hoping that our Deryni Duke will learn to listen, like you say Jerusha, but we would be best advised not to hold our breath, although he obviously loves Richenda and Briony deeply, and from canon is clearly willing for Richenda to have her own thoughts and develop her scholarship. Although he could barely remember his mother, I'm sure he was taught a great deal about her by his father, and learnt from his father how a good marriage works. As later from Vera and Jared.

Although he has had great power from an early age he doesn't come across to me as being domineering. However he is impulsive and having launched out on his own way without thinking to ask others, he doesn't like to deal with any of the conflict it might cause and just hopes it will all come out right. I also think that he doesn't like hurting or upsetting others (in canon Richenda over letting her be in charge in Coroth, and tiptoeing around Derry's fear of magic) so he just refuses to deal with the issue which then causes more trouble.

That's my take anyway! So in my story, the sensible thing to have done would have been to recognise that Kelric had got himself worked up and taking him to the Cathedral was now definitely a bad idea. Instead he just went ahead and ignored all the danger signs. But mainly it was just a bit of fun.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on April 28, 2017, 02:42:56 PM

Although he[Alaric] has had great power from an early age he doesn't come across to me as being domineering. However he is impulsive and having launched out on his own way without thinking to ask others, he doesn't like to deal with any of the conflict it might cause and just hopes it will all come out right. I also think that he doesn't like hurting or upsetting others (in canon Richenda over letting her be in charge in Coroth, and tiptoeing around Derry's fear of magic) so he just refuses to deal with the issue which then causes more trouble.

I agree with you whole heartily. I especially agree that Alaric forged his own independence from a very early age, with out the guiding influence of male Deryni instructors. He learn much  from his father, from Lyon, and from Brion, all wonderful role models, but in the ways of Deryni, Alaric  followed his own path learning to stumble through Arcane bogs and rocking canyons alike. When it comes to family, he does seem to "tiptoe around" any problems, and "refuses to deal with the issues". I like your point of view, Revanne. And I like watching Alaric learn to deal with the small issues he had never considered before. So much FUN, indeed!
May your horses have wings and fly!