• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Codex Derynianus.

Started by derynifanatic64, May 19, 2007, 02:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derynifanatic64

I bought the Codex (2nd version) earlier this year and have found it to be a treasure trove of information.  This book is a must for all Deryni fans.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

BishopCullen

Agreed.  Have read it several times.  Truely a treasure trove.  A must for everyone of us.

Ursa

Having been away from the Deryni I didn't even know that the Codex had finally been republished. I immediately went on several used book sites and found a copy at a Kentucky store for just under $5.00 plus shipping. I await with bated breath its arrival!

Obiwan3

Ursa, you won't be disappointed. And you made quite a deal on it. Congrats!

BishopCullen

Found an OOPS!!!  Check the death information on Marie de Corwyn.  There are 2 listings!  First listing: 1088, listed as Lady Marie de Corwyn, dies Sept. 2, age 17 years.  Second listing: 1089, Nov 2.  Marie Lady de Corwyn dies of the pox, age 18 years.  I think the second one is wrong.  hmmmm.

Braniana

I've come across a few errata myself.  When I have the time (make that IF), I might consider posting what I've found.  But don't look for that anytime soon.

morgan

Can anyone explain me what the Codex is about? It's a story book or only a sort of "Deryni dictionary"?

Obiwan3

It contains an alphabetical listing of most everyone & any place mentioned in the series. There's also a chronological history of Gwynedd, its liturgical calendar, royal geneologies and maps of the XI Kingdoms. Plus brief bios of the authors and a listing of their books & short stories related to the series. I cheated, pulled my well-thumbed copy out to read the contents. It's in Latin & Greek, too.  ;D

Just pulling your leg. There are captions interspersed, but the body of the book is in English. HTH.

lenni

The thing that I like best about the Codex is that it explains how various people are related.  Of course, you have to do quite a bit of reading to find out some of the relationships.  Exactly how Jehana is related to Lewys ap Norfal is not discovered in a single entry!  Not all is revealed, however.  There is not enough, for me at any rate, in the Codex about the Arilan and de Courcy families, among others.

Kahtleen

morgan

derynifanatic64

lenni,

The entry for Lewys ap Norfal states that he was a great grand-uncle of Jehana.  It just does not specify exactly how he is Jehana's great grand-uncle.

lenni

DeryniFanatic64,

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on February 28, 2008, 07:09:22 PM
lenni,

The entry for Lewys ap Norfal states that he was a great grand-uncle of Jehana.  It just does not specify exactly how he is Jehana's great grand-uncle.

You have to look at several entries to determine exactly how Jehanna and Lewys are related.  I think that Jehana's entry added something - gave more information about her mother's ancestry, I believe.

The Gwynedd data for my genealogy program is on strike right now, so I can't pin down the relationship exactly.

At a minimum, you have to look at Lewys' and Jehana's entries.  Maybe more.

Kathleen (lenni)

derynifanatic64

The entry for Jehana lists her maternal grandparents.  As her great grand-uncle, Norfal is most likely the brother of 1 of Jehana's grandfathers or the brother of 1 of her grandmothers.  Or a brother of one of her 8 great grandparents.

lenni

DeryniFanatic64,

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on February 29, 2008, 06:34:59 PM
The entry for Jehana lists her maternal grandparents.  As her great grand-uncle, Norfal is most likely the brother of 1 of Jehana's grandfathers or the brother of 1 of her grandmothers.  Or a brother of one of her 8 great grandparents.

I was able to restore the data file from backup (YEAH! for backups!).

Régnier I Buyenne-Furstán -- Jolanthe d'Albéric
+ Murielle Buyenne-Furstán -- Tiraquell de Jordanet (1)
  + Jordana de Jordanet -- Isarn I d'Avoine (1)
    + Rosaura d'Avoine -- Meyric II de Besançon (2)
      + Jehana, i.e., Jehane-Julienne-Adélaïde de Besançon (2)
+ Louÿs Régnier Gaspard Buyenne-Furstán (aka Lewys ap Norfal) (3)

Entries from Codex Derynianus II:
1 - Isarn II Anaclète Jehan Flocon d'Avoine, Sovereign Prince of Logréine
2 - Jehana, i.e., Jehane-Julienne-Adélaïde de Besançon, Princesse de Bremagne
3 - Lewys ap Norfal, Lord du Joux.

Kathleen (lenni)

BishopCullen

Very nice job tracking that down.  try this one.  ansel macrorie's later family name became macathan.  trace from him to sief macathan, father of krispin.  i think we need an updated codex.  there is no mention of sief, or many others of the childe morgan.  oliver de nore is there, but his brother septimus is not.