• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Casting Call!

Started by Bynw, March 06, 2007, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkari

Yes, he'll do.   :)

Here's another pic, with lighter hair.  Definitely Duncan material!

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/04/19/1226041/477763-switched-on-partick-moore.jpg

Arilan s Fan

I don't suppose there is any young male relative of Peter Cushing to play Wencit?   

Arilan s Fan

Quote from: Alkari on January 21, 2012, 04:17:31 PM
Not really an issue these days.  Time was when the very parochial American market 'demanded' American actors (and even had 'strange' accents subtitled!), and it was often hard for other very deserving and talented actors to get a break.  
Unleashed (Jet Li, Bob Hoskins, and Morgan Freeman) had to be dubbed in standard English because in American tests the Glaswegians were too difficult to understand.  LOTR is the one set of films that a great variety of British inflections were used to great success.  The Harry Potter franchise did not often use an inflection far from the Oxbridge standard.  There is almost more in the way of variation of inflection of English in the British Isles than in the entire North American continent.

Alkari

Those of us outside the USA of course, just have to battle along and try to comprehend strange deep Southern accents, etc.  :D    The non-US movie audience of course doesn't count, but guess what - we somehow manage! 

I am still amused that they actually needed the original Mad Max movie subtitled for US audiences! 

AnnieUK

Most people in the UK struggle to understand Glaswegians! And Geordies!

My uncle lived in Glasgow most of his life and my daughter can't understand a word he says!

tenworld

Quote from: AnnieUK on January 21, 2012, 03:36:52 PM
And while I'm on the subject, I am now campaigning for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to be Alaric. He is Jaime Lannister in GoT and he's as close a match to "my" Alaric as I've seen in a long time.
Check out that pic and tell me you can't see Richenda falling for him when their eyes meet when he pushes her carriage at St Torins!

there are a lot of similarities between Alaric and Jaime, once you get past the incest thing.  I just finished the 4th book and Jaime is turning into a strong character with a lot of impact on how the Game will conclude, just as Morgan is central to Deryni world.  with a name like Nikolaj, the actor has a hint of Torenthi in him too.

DesertRose

Reviving this topic to show off someone I think would make a good Rothana.

Jessica Brown Findlay (Lady Sybil Crawley on "Downton Abbey" for anybody else besides Festil and me who might be addicted to it)

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4044534528/nm3726887
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

derynifanatic64

Interesting choice for Rothana.  Even I am a big fan of Downton Abbey.  Looking forward to Season 3 next January.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

cynicalmedic

Since I am new, I have been reading a lot of the old threads, and this one intrigues me. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the lovely and talented David Tennant for a role.  ;D

I also like Chris Pine - the young gentleman that played Kirk in the last Star Trek movie. He may be too short to play Morgan, but he might make a good Derry. Adrian Brody might be a good choice for one of the Torenthi lords, too.
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?
David Gilmour/Richard Wright/Nick Mason

Evie

Of those three, I'm only familiar with David Tennant, but as much as I like him, no particular Eleven Kingdoms character is springing to mind when I try to imagine who he might play.  He doesn't really match any of the physical descriptions of the main characters that I can think of (although it might be possible to alter that somewhat with hair dye and/or colored contacts), though he might work well as a secondary character.

I haven't seen the last Star Trek movie yet, but at least if Chris Pine were to end up in a Deryni movie, I already know where I can find his "Captain Kirk" action figure to modify accordingly!   ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

cynicalmedic

Here is Chris Pine http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1517976/

The blue eyes make me think of Derry, but I have always pictured him looking more like a young Brady Anderson http://www.bradyanderson9.com/

Can you tell Derry is my favorite character?  ;D
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
No more turning away?

Evie

Here's the Captain Kirk doll that's based on Chris Pine's characterization:

I wonder if it might be possible to make that short hair a bit curlier somehow to make a more "Derry-like" action figure?  The main reason I haven't tried to add a Derry to my action figure collection is that it's been next to impossible to find a light-brown-haired Ken (though at least now I know how to change hair color), much less a curly-haired one.  But maybe if I wind the longer bits of hair around bobby pins to curl it, and then give him a boil perm?  His coloring looks fine for the part, otherwise.

* Evie wanders off to ponder the problem and to see how much Captain Kirk Ken tends to run on eBay these days....

--WARNING!!!--

cynicalmedic

I saw curly doll hair at Michaels - in a nice shade of brown. Hmm - perhaps it is time for a small experiment. :D
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
No more turning away?

Evie

Yeah, though I was hoping to get away with as little re-rooting as possible, given how my last attempt at that turned out, but feel free to try that and let me know how it works out.    :D

Though bringing the topic back to casting, it would be lovely if even one of the cast members for a future Deryni movie could have at least some vague resemblance to one of the action figures I've made for the roles.  So maybe I should throw in my vote for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Alaric--that would make Alkari and Annie happy, at the very least, and if this movie ever happens, maybe official action figures would come out as well.  Even though I've grown pretty fond of my own version, I could probably learn to live with having a 12" Nikolaj-clone Alaric action figure on my shelf....   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

AnnieUK

Did someone mention Nikolaj Coster-Waldau?